anchorage logistics help needed

ruespal

we will be disembarking in whittier on wed. may 25th and our flight home leaves Anchorage on Saturday the 28th at 5pm. We were originally going to go to Denali, but after reading so much here, I realize the roads won't be open all the way yet and wildlife may also be at a minimum so early in the year. we're also very interested in the Kenai fjords cruise. So my question is- If we shuttle to Anchorage & drive a rental car to Talkeetna and stay the night for a flightseeing tour early thursday. We both still want to take the chance that we may be able to have a clear day and see the mountain. Then back to Anchorage that same day- that would give us Friday to do the Kenai Fjords cruise. Is the driving time Anc. to Talkeetna short enough to accomplish this? Thanks in advance for any input.

My recommendation: get to Seward somehow on the 25th, take your excursion, catch the ak rr to ANC that evening. Next am get a rental car and head to talkeetna for one or even two nights to increase you odds of seeing Mt. McKinley.

OR , just do a McKinley flightseeing out of Anchorage. I think with your very limited time, planning on using a significant portion of it with Talkeetna is not the best idea.

IF you continue to go in this direction, then I only suggest a one way car out of Whittier- costly, but a significant time saver. Head direct to Seward, overnight, then drive to Anchorage the next day, after your activities. Then you have your time to fit in your Talkeetna fightseeing.

You also have the wrong information on Denali Park. Although, you can only get 53 miles in, with your timeframe IF you are not getting to Alaska "frequently", I would absolutely get there. Wildlife is abundent. Book yourself on the Toklat shuttle.

Thanks for the advice- I'm trying to see if the Kenai Fjords tour company can transport us down to them on Wednesday. Then we will use the transportation back to Anchorage that night and pick up a car in the morning to go spend time up at Denali. Hope this plan works out! There is a lot of planning to do beforehand for Alaska -if you want to get it right. Thanks again for all the info.

Thanks for the advice- I'm trying to see if the Kenai Fjords tour company can transport us down to them on Wednesday. Then we will use the transportation back to Anchorage that night and pick up a car in the morning to go spend time up at Denali. Hope this plan works out! There is a lot of planning to do beforehand for Alaska -if you want to get it right. Thanks again for all the info.

Sorry, the "Kenai fjords tour company" is not going to transfer you from Whittier. You are either going to have rent a car, or arrange a shuttle service or taxi. You are underestimating time, this is a far better plan with a Seward overnight.

Only the companies that do their boat trips out of Whittier can get you to Whittier, there are no companies that run tours out of Seward for the Kenai Fjords that will get you transportation to there.

As Mytime53 suggested, do a Kenai Fjords tour when you disembark in Seward and then take the train the evening train from Seward to Anchorage and then rent a car to go to Talkeetna.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Only the companies that do their boat trips out of Whittier can get you to Whittier, there are no companies that run tours out of Seward for the Kenai Fjords that will get you transportation to there.

As Mytime53 suggested, do a Kenai Fjords tour when you disembark in Seward and then take the train the evening train from Seward to Anchorage and then rent a car to go to Talkeetna.

OP stated in the first post that they disembark in Whittier. That's why I'm asking why not do a Whittier cruise instead of Seward. My guess is that Whittier tours are promoted more as glacier tours, not wildlife.

OP stated in the first post that they disembark in Whittier. That's why I'm asking why not do a Whittier cruise instead of Seward. My guess is that Whittier tours are promoted more as glacier tours, not wildlife.

I totally agree with that. I've never seen a whale on the Whittier tours that we have done (maybe a seal or two) but I have seen them on the Seward trips.

Actually, I've been very fortunate and seen a lost Minsk one time in the Turnagain Arm down between Portage and Girdwood, and some Orcas and Belugas in Cook Inlet too. Seen more Belugas as they like to follow the silver salmon into Ship Creek and the pinks into Bird Creek and then the Orcas are following them sometimes as they've been known to go after the Belugas. Such is the circle of life.

Plan B would be to do a prince william sound cruise(since we'll be in Whittier)insted of Kenai Fjord. I have to realize I can't do everything in one trip. I always try to do as much as possible cuz life is so short and you never know...But Alaska is just so big with soo many amazing places to go and see.Maybe by not seeing some of the things we want will make us get back there sooner.Anyway thanks for the help:)

Archived