UK Blog Post: Poll Position: Would you sail from the U.K. in winter?

LauraS

• Administrators

Baby, it’s cold outside. With much of the U.K. gripped by snow or freezing temperatures, we thought it was ripe to start thinking about wintertime sailing, and specifically from in-country ports. We asked: Would you sail from a U.K. port in winter? You answered: Exactly one-third of you (33.33 percent) decreed that it’s too cold [...]

More...

Found the poll wondered how many people actualy voted since I didm't even see the poll.

Would you sail from a UK port in winter?

No, it's too cold and wet: 33.33%

Yes, I don't like flying: 18.69%

If the price was right: 29.80%

If the ship was appealing enough: 18.18%

Total Votes: 198

We did a Feb cruise in the Med on NCL Jade, and it was cold and windy on deck- plus the balcony was a waste of space! But that was from Barcelona, so at least we started in warmer weather than the UK (and Newcastle airport was shut with snow for several hours....!)

But I love sailing in rough weather, so leaving from Soton would be fun....I'll make sure to have a snug inside cabin this time....I fancy the Indie, anyway.

Jo.

Baby, it’s cold outside. With much of the U.K. gripped by snow or freezing temperatures, we thought it was ripe to start thinking about wintertime sailing, and specifically from in-country ports. We asked: Would you sail from a U.K. port in winter? You answered: Exactly one-third of you (33.33 percent) decreed that it’s too cold [...]

More...

Yes we cruised on the Independence O.S. out of Southampton on the 29th Nov .Just got back yesterday. The weather was mixed with a slightly rough crossing of the B.O.B. but we managed 2 sunny days in the Canaries. The rest of the weather was cloudy and damp. may I say the cruise ship was great and the admirable thing was the number of disabled folk that were able to cruise because no flying was involved.

Because of the colder weather, indoors on the ship were always very busy especially in the evenings, due to no-one being out on the decks. Seating in the bars was limited. the bar prices were a lot higher than we had expected . So we just had "The One " each evening which did our purses no harm. Never before have we eaten evening dinner on a cruise ship with no wine to accompany the meal. But everything else was wonderful including the 1st class entertainment. So yes I would cruise in the winter again but on a ship with lower bar prices.

Cruise out of the UK in winter? No chance! Probably wouldn't cruise out of the UK in summer either, unless heading to the sun was only a short trip! Love England, I'm English and a Londoner but let's face it, if sun is what you're seeking then the UK, in winter, is not the place to start.

Bar prices are expensive on lots of the ships. But with cruise prices becoming more and more cheaper then I guess the cruise lines have to make their money somehow!

One advantage of sailing from the UK is unlimited lugage which you can load up with the drinks so don't have to pay the RCI prices(P&O and FO are more reasonable).

oops Don't think bringing your own drinks on board Royal Caribbean cruise ships is allowed at all. Unless it is water or cola.Or you are "smugging it on board". Which is deemed as very naughty.

QUOTE: So we just had " The One " each evening which did our purses no harm. Never before have we eaten evening dinner on a cruise ship with no wine to accompany the meal.]

I just don't understand the reasoning when they are fixing the bar prices, it seems they want a massive profit on each drink, and obviously they have gone so far it's starting to backfire on them, if prices were set lower surely people would stay longer and consume more, maximising profits.

Most American ships that I have cruised on are rather quiet after the show finishes, as many people just have a couple of drinks and go to bed, compare that to Thomson’s and that should tell the cruise lines something.

And its not just cruise lines that have this negative thinking, many British hotels are just the same, most people like to stay in a nice hotel, but spend the evening down the road.

Quote: Bar prices are expensive on lots of the ships. But with cruise prices becoming more and more cheaper then I guess the cruise lines have to make their money somehow! ]

I don't think cruising is becoming (more & more cheaper) as in general prices are being held, you will get a better deal on one of the big holiday village style ships if that is your preference, don't feel sorry for the cruise companies they are all making vast profits and I think after paying for new ships etc Carnival made this year $1.978.000 profit (figures from this is money) I don't know how they read the figures but I think that will be $billion, with a 40c dividend, the Carnival share price is going up daily so next years divi I think will probably be around $1.50

So would you put up with cold weather, rough sea, and rip off prices on a winter cruise, Nah

To state the obvious you get what you pay for. Carnival cruises are relatively cheap and they pay low wages so high bar prices and service charges. If you go on a Seabourn ship (also part of Carnival) drinks and tips are all included but you pay more upfront considerable more but the cruise experience is far superior.

Would never sail from UK anytime! Waste of sun in summer and have watched all these giant waves on You Tube so would stick to land in winter! In fact, having seen the snow ruining thousands of holidays this year - would probably stick to home in winter!

QUOTE: So we just had " The One " each evening which did our purses no harm. Never before have we eaten evening dinner on a cruise ship with no wine to accompany the meal.]

I just don't understand the reasoning when they are fixing the bar prices, it seems they want a massive profit on each drink, and obviously they have gone so far it's starting to backfire on them, if prices were set lower surely people would stay longer and consume more, maximising profits.

Most American ships that I have cruised on are rather quiet after the show finishes, as many people just have a couple of drinks and go to bed, compare that to Thomson’s and that should tell the cruise lines something.

And its not just cruise lines that have this negative thinking, many British hotels are just the same, most people like to stay in a nice hotel, but spend the evening down the road.

Quote: Bar prices are expensive on lots of the ships. But with cruise prices becoming more and more cheaper then I guess the cruise lines have to make their money somehow! ]

I don't think cruising is becoming (more & more cheaper) as in general prices are being held, you will get a better deal on one of the big holiday village style ships if that is your preference, don't feel sorry for the cruise companies they are all making vast profits and I think after paying for new ships etc Carnival made this year $1.978.000 profit (figures from this is money) I don't know how they read the figures but I think that will be $billion, with a 40c dividend, the Carnival share price is going up daily so next years divi I think will probably be around $1.50

So would you put up with cold weather, rough sea, and rip off prices on a winter cruise, Nah

Big companies make big profits, as a cruiser it is not the total that matters but more how much they make off you each day.

I had a look at this and this is what I found, I think it was Q3 2010.

company revenue cost yield.

CCL $207 $109 $97

NCL $197 $122 $75

RCL $192 $116 $76

Needs a break down in more detail to determine where the money is coming from, I know NCL was loosing money on cruise fares a while back and was 100% dependant on the onboard revenues to make money.

Archived