Suggestions Gibraltar

Pickett man

Options in place of cruise tours. Monkeys and walk on beach lunch in city?

If you do not want to do a tour of the Rock then I would walk intoi town and have a nice luncheon as there are a few nice restos,then you can walk the main street and do some shopping or not.IMHO,I would avoid the monkeys,but that is me.You could also take the cable car ride.I am sure other's will have some suggestions as well.

Place is so tiny; you can easily do both. Walk to the Rock funicular is about 30 min from port. Round trip cost was 8 GBP (in 2009). Funicular goes to the top of the rock where one can walk, enjoy the views and see the monkeys. Also some WW2 fortifications are still there. This is probably 1.5 to 2 hrs activity at the most. On the way back you can eat lunch on the Main Street (mostly fish & chips places) but others may know nicer places. Another option is to take local bus to Europa Point. Rock is probably the biggest attraction in Gibraltar.

Options in place of cruise tours. Monkeys and walk on beach lunch in city?

The beach isn't really much of an option in Gib. There are just two - alongside the eastern end of the airport runway, and 1/2 mile from there at Catalan Bay. Both are small, have poor facilities, can get crowded, and the first in particular is featureless. The one by the runway has no shade whatsoever, and Catalan Bay is completely in the shade of the Rock from mid-to-late afternoon.

Ideal is what most folk do - a morning tour up the Rock by taxi/van or by cablecar (I rate taxi/van the best, but there's others who'd argue in favour of the cablecar), then lunch & stroll the compact, interesting & lively town, which is on level ground & walkable to the ship.

Gib is British, you'll find plenty of info on a number of posts, not on this Spain board but on the Other Med Ports board. Here's an example

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1284954

If there's anything else you need to know, that's the bestboard to post a further question.

John Bull

We were there two weeks ago and took a private taxi/van tour which we caught as we exited the ship. We saw the caves and a tunnel with a couple of stops for photos. Monkeys were everywhere. The driver narrated as he drove us through the city and was very informative. The tour lasted about 2 hrs and was 25 Euro/person. Well worth it. We were dropped off in the downtown area after and it was about a 15 minute walk back to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

The Rock Hotel does a nice lunch or traditional afternoon tea. In the Town, just off Main St. is Sacarellos coffee shop which does good snacks (established 1888) and of course good coffee, also available to buy in bags. They sell luxuries from Fortnum and Mason too.

Archived