"S" Class Verandah Suites

taxmantoo

We are considering the HAL Veendam for a quick 7-day Bermuda cruise next summer. We have been on Vista Class and Signature class ships but never on an "S" class.

When looking at HAL staterooms drawings and sizes on their website as well as Joannie's photos on this site, I see that the layout of the Verandah Suites (A, B, BA, BB and BC) on the Veendam is very similar if not identical to the layout of the "V" class Deluxe Verandah staterooms on the Vista and Signature class yet the Veendam's suites specify 292 square feet and the Vistas specifiy 254 square feet.

On Vistas, we usually book Superior Suites but there are none on the "S" class.

How roomy are the Verandah Suites?

Are the "A" Verendah Suites on the stern fully covered or do some offer some sun?

Are there any Verandah Suites that people seem to particularly like? Location?

It's true - they're roomier than the Vista V's

However, that long, narrow configuration still makes for a "choke point" at the foot of the beds.

The only times I've been in BC - A cabins, there have been 3 of us, and that's what made us move up to the category S's. But for 2, I think you'll find them comfy, and relatively spacious.

We are considering the HAL Veendam for a quick 7-day Bermuda cruise next summer. We have been on Vista Class and Signature class ships but never on an "S" class.

When looking at HAL staterooms drawings and sizes on their website as well as Joannie's photos on this site, I see that the layout of the Verandah Suites (A, B, BA, BB and BC) on the Veendam is very similar if not identical to the layout of the "V" class Deluxe Verandah staterooms on the Vista and Signature class yet the Veendam's suites specify 292 square feet and the Vistas specifiy 254 square feet.

On Vistas, we usually book Superior Suites but there are none on the "S" class.

How roomy are the Verandah Suites?

Are the "A" Verendah Suites on the stern fully covered or do some offer some sun?

Are there any Verandah Suites that people seem to particularly like? Location?

You will definitely notice the difference between the A/B category cabins on a S or R class ship versus the SS category cabins on the Vista and Signature class ships. The SS category on the larger ships kind of provides an intermediate size cabin between the verandah cabins and the deluxe suites whereas there isn't that option on the smaller ships. We went through a series of cruises where we were in an S, then an SS, then an S and then a B. We really noticed the lack of room in the B on the Veendam and the end result is that we'll probably not go back to an A or B unless we simply can't afford the larger cabin. Some don't feel that way and I understand that but since our annual cruise is our major vacation every year then we'll just save up and go for the gusto.

I'd say that a friend's BC on the Statendam was about 3 ft longer than a Vista VA>VC (but the same 9 ft width), so that would account for 27 sq ft of the difference. IIRC the balcony was a bit larger too. One foot more depth would account for another 9 sq ft.

However, that long, narrow configuration still makes for a "choke point" at the foot of the beds.

I'd say that a friend's BC on the Statendam was about 3 ft longer than a Vista VA>VC (but the same 9 ft width), so that would account for 27 sq ft of the difference.

Thank you all for the replies.

These two replies confirm what I was seeing from the drawings. The "choke point" for us is not really at the foot of the bed but the narrow entrance combined with the closet and bathroom door being in such close proximity.

I guess we will just have to book one and see for ourselves :D We can probably manage for 7 days but anything longer might be risky.

Thanks again!

Hello! We were on a recent cruise together - Eurodam in May. My husband and I just booked a 7-day Bermuda cruise on the Veendam for June 5th. As you can see from my signature I am also returning to the Mediterranean as my son really, really wanted to get to the ports in Greece. Meanwhile my friend was ready to take her first cruise so I will be jumping off the plane and into the car for the drive to the port in NYC to join her! I am excited about trying out the "S" class. I can't help you with your questions though - we are booked into an interior on the main deck. Happy sailing!

diane

Archived