Question: Eclipse Oceanview Dinner Buffet

cruisingmad

I'm considering a cruise on Celebrity Eclipse next year, and I wanted to know if the Oceanview buffet is open at night in all its glory or is it a table service restaurant?

I never have dinner in the MDR and much prefer a casual buffet at night. My experience on the Constellation a couple of years ago was not good, since there really was no casual buffet at night except a pasta bar.

Any thoughts?

Sergio

Just got back from the Eclipse and did the Ocean View one night instead of the MDR. I really enjoyed it. There was a spread of food, a little bit of everything and a nice spread of meat.

I want to say maybe one section was not open but it had a fair amount of food to choose and it was self serve.

Just got back from the Eclipse and did the Ocean View one night instead of the MDR. I really enjoyed it. There was a spread of food, a little bit of everything and a nice spread of meat.

I want to say maybe one section was not open but it had a fair amount of food to choose and it was self serve.

Thanks, Unfdoug! That's very reassuring. I really had a hard time on the Constellation, because it was a two-week cruise.

Other that the dinner/buffet problem, I enjoyed Celebrity, although I cruise mostly on Royal Caribbean and have cruised on NCL a couple of times. I'm now booked in 10 days on the Epic (studio cabin), so I'm very curious as to whether I'll enjoy the experience.

Thanks again,

Sergio

Just off the Eclipse last Saturday. Like Don said, the dinner buffet is not a full buffet like for the other meals, but does have a fair amount of choices. There is pizza, a made-to-order pasta bar, a full salad bar, cold cuts and cold salads (pasta salads etc.), carving station, some hot Italian food entrees, desserts, and ice cream. They also have a sushi station from 5:30-9:30pm, but I found quality on that to be fair.

The "BIG" buffet is at lunch on all S class ships. Remember there is also the Bistro for a mere $5 charge too. Would be a nice change for the OP.

Thanks for the info, eandj, infi, and dkjretired.

It sound like it's a bit better than what they offered on the Constellation on my Baltic cruise, but two weeks of a limited selection (only a pasta bar and sushi on the Connie) drove me crazy.

I know that I limit myself by not going to the MDR, but I just don't like the formality, etc. I like to serve myself what I want, how much I want, and be done. There's a price to be paid for that, which is why I cruise mostly on Royal.

Still, I like to explore new ships, and I may try the Eclipse next year for a one-weeker, which would not be too bad.

Regards,

Sergio

Archived