Created a shower monster

Kekepania

We are set to sail on LOS on Sunday and in anticipation for not having a bath I thought I would show my 16 month old daughter what the shower looked like so that she wouldn't freak out...well as of this week she refuses to get in the bath unless I turn on the shower head. I guess I can kiss away bath time now :(

LOL I thought you did what my husband did... I think my 14 month old son actually thinks the shower head IS a monster because he keeps sneaking peeks at it and he cries if you try to show it to him now. My husband accidentally squirted him in the face with it.

Thank goodness for the duck tub or I think I'd have had to book a suite!

It is funny you mention this because when I adopted DD she was 4 1/2 and never been in a shower. I was like how do I teach her about showering. What DD told me is that her mom would only give her baths. She sometimes asked what the think at the top of the wall was for, but her mom never told her. I don't understand this but I didn't ask questions. I knew I had to teach her how to shower because it would make bathing time easier for us some days. Me being a different gender didn't help things.

Luckily I was able to get her to learn how to shower by herself now. It took a couple of times before I was comfortable leaving her alone. However, she still asks me to turn on the water for her and to help with her hair. I guess as she gets older she will become more independent.

Long story short, she likes taking showers but likes bathing more because she can play with some of her toys. Maybe it is time to take her toys away because showering is so much faster.

I still can't believe she was never introduced to a shower until I adopted her. What a shame!!!!!

DD (now 15YO!) never much cared for baths as a infant -- so even at as little as 6MO DH would hand her in to me while I was showering. He'd generally end up soaked (handling a soapy 6MO is a two person job!) -- by the time she stood, she'd shower with me and by the time she was 3 or 4 she was pretty much showering on her own (the waist long, thick, curly hair generally needed some mom help).

It is funny you mention this because when I adopted DD she was 4 1/2 . . . I still can't believe she was never introduced to a shower until I adopted her. What a shame!!!!!

One of my best friends adopted a 3.5YO little girl (as a single mom) -- the two of them spent the first whole year learning stuff like that.

We held a "baby shower" for friend and DD when she first came to her -- it brought tears to my eyes when it struck me that the little girl was going to leave without any of the toys or clothes or bedding we gave her because it never occurred to her that she would actually "keep" the gifts she was unwrapping. She had never had ANYTHING - she grew up in homeless shelters with whatever possessions she might have in a plastic grocery bag.

She's now nearly 13YO and in a great home with a great mom. It sounds like your DD is lucky to have you in her life.

It is funny you mention this because when I adopted DD she was 4 1/2 and never been in a shower. I was like how do I teach her about showering. What DD told me is that her mom would only give her baths. She sometimes asked what the think at the top of the wall was for, but her mom never told her. I don't understand this but I didn't ask questions. I knew I had to teach her how to shower because it would make bathing time easier for us some days. Me being a different gender didn't help things.

Luckily I was able to get her to learn how to shower by herself now. It took a couple of times before I was comfortable leaving her alone. However, she still asks me to turn on the water for her and to help with her hair. I guess as she gets older she will become more independent.

Long story short, she likes taking showers but likes bathing more because she can play with some of her toys. Maybe it is time to take her toys away because showering is so much faster.

I still can't believe she was never introduced to a shower until I adopted her. What a shame!!!!!

TAKE HER TOYS AWAY? Why on earth would you do that? Have you considered having her bathe in the evening when you have more time and she can ENJOY her bath? Sorry, I hope I misunderstood you, but depriving your child of fun bath time because you think it 'takes too long' is really crappy, in my opinion. My daughter still takes long drawn out baths. She doesn't play with her bath toys anymore, but she loves soaking in the tub and relaxing. If I need her to make it quick, I just tell her, but I think that's only happened once in the last year! Your daughter will have plenty of time to have 'quick showers' when she's old enough to have her own schedule to keep.

Again, I'm sorry if I misunderstood!

I never learned to shower until I went away to college and lived in a dorm! We always took baths. In our case, my mother didn't want the bother of cleaning the bathroom walls....made sure we didn't "splash", and if we did, that we cleaned it up. We didn't have any toys to play with, either -- it was get in, get cleaned, get out, wipe up.

When I got to college and discovered showers, it was WONDERFUL, hanging out in there in the hot steam on a cold winter day!!! :)

I think kids can live quite well without a tub full of toys...they're fun, and if you have time and inclination, they're fine, but their world won't come to an end if they're told to get out of there quick!

Since college I think I can count on one hand the number of baths I've taken...I shower frequently (you can all uncover your noses), but don't do baths or hot tubs. I'm 60-something in age...

TAKE HER TOYS AWAY? Why on earth would you do that? Have you considered having her bathe in the evening when you have more time and she can ENJOY her bath? Sorry, I hope I misunderstood you, but depriving your child of fun bath time because you think it 'takes too long' is really crappy, in my opinion. My daughter still takes long drawn out baths. She doesn't play with her bath toys anymore, but she loves soaking in the tub and relaxing. If I need her to make it quick, I just tell her, but I think that's only happened once in the last year! Your daughter will have plenty of time to have 'quick showers' when she's old enough to have her own schedule to keep.

Again, I'm sorry if I misunderstood!

No!!!!! I would never take her toys away. They only time that happens is she miss behaves but she gets them back at a later time.

That comment about me taking her bathing toys away was to make a joke. Sometimes in these threads it is hard to get that across. When ever I am able to help her with her bath she takes them. If she is in a mood for bath she gets it. Then when she wants a shower she get those.

No!!!!! I would never take her toys away. They only time that happens is she miss behaves but she gets them back at a later time.

I used to do the same thing. But, we added on to the house and added a bathroom with a corner garden tub. When the kids saw it I knew what would happen - they tried to claim that bathroom as their own, even though it was in our bedroom. So, now when they get in trouble I take the garden tub away - sending them back to the "little" tub. :rolleyes:

Kekepania - my DD (now 14yo) had a short fascination when she was about 2 with showering. Basically the same situation - getting ready for vacation trying to keep from having a upset toddler we decided to show her the shower. She would only shower for about 2 or 3 months, then went back to the bath time that I enjoyed. Give it some time she'll probably do the same.

Archived