MSC Poesia Questions

donh1

We are going to be first timers on the MSC Poesia and have some questions.

1) With multiple nationalities on board does the cruise line make some effort to seat people with similar mother tongues at the same tables.

2) Are the menus relatively easy to read for English speaking persons.

3) Having traveled on numerous other cruises we are accustomed to limited TV. Does MSC offer up pretty much the same.

4) Is there a DVD player with the TV.

5) Do they offer English Language Movies in the Cinema.

6) How formal is formal night. Will a sports jacket and tie do.

7) Do they serve up made to order omelets for breakfast at the buffet.

Any help will be appreciated

1) With multiple nationalities on board does the cruise line make some effort to seat people with similar mother tongues at the same tables.

I'm wondering the same thing. It's just two of us at the late dining. I've had friends that have had mixed experiences.

We were on the Poesia last January. The menus are easy to read in English. We were seated with English speaking Americans. Not sure if it's planned that way or coincidental. I don't bother to watch TV on a cruise so I can't comment on that one. Not even sure about DVD's or the movies either. Formal night can be a tux or a sport coat. Some wear just a shirt and khakis. I don't remember about made to order omelets. We prefer the smoked salmon which was great.

The ship is clean and beautiful and there won't be any snow. Go and don't sweat the small stuff.

The tables in the MDR are always arranged by language. They'll normally put Australians with Australians, French with French, Brits with Brits, but if there's a table with more than one nationality the language spoken will be common. The menus are bilingual but the English translation of Italian specialities sometimes leaves more questions than answers. There is a made-to-order omelet station up in the self-service buffet for breakfast. Sorry can't comment on the TV/DVD questions.

3) Having traveled on numerous other cruises we are accustomed to limited TV. Does MSC offer up pretty much the same.

I just completed a B2B on the Poesia

1) I was seated with English speaking people....easy to change tables if you need to.

2) There is a "Stars and Stripes" section on the menu.....however, the Italian parts are in English also.

3) TV is very limited, and mostly MSC commercials, and UNICEF commercials. They do have CN, CNN Latino, CNN, Headline News, TCM, with commercials in Latino...movies are in English though, TNT...same deal, NO networks at all. The movies they show are infrequent, and will be found sometimes in English.....but are OLD movies.

4) There are no DVD players...and your PC will NOT hook up to the TV.

5) There is no Cinema....they do have movies a few times during the week...usually around 10PM on the deck 13 big screen. These too have long been out on DVD, and are in English.

6) Formal night....some wore jackets.....some didn't.....few tuxes....pretty much anything presentable seemed okay.....shirt and slacks are fine.

7) I did see people ordering omelets.... but I wouldn't bet on success, as the guy making them didn't speak English. They had some made up.....but seemed to just have bacon in them. They had fried eggs made up, sunnyside....not very good....white part was runny.

The information provided by these boards is amazing. I can,t begin to count the number of times I have found the exact information needed for travel by searching the boards or asking questions.

A big thank you to all who replied........

I was on Poesia and had my eggs perfect, over medium say. No whites runny and it was great time and time again. As for the omlettes, ask for anything . They sometimes put the ingredients on top. If you like it folded in ask for that. They ran out of fruit yogurt so the staff opened up a plain yogurt, poured honey in it, chopped up fruit and stirred it..... NOW that is incredible.

The English side of the "italian" side is all easy to understand. The names of the dishes may be in italian, but there is a description. Make sure you order the cannalioni as appetizer instead of the meal.It is wonderful but not enough for a meal. The lasagna is melt in your mouth wonderful. WE ordered a lot of the pasta dishes as appetizers which they will do if you ask. Also if you order more than one entree and want them all to come out together, ask. If you want them on one plate with the protein with all the other entrees, just ask. If you want them served one at a time, just ask.

I haven't sailed on the Poesia but have sailed many times with MSc and it is pretty much a standard product across the fleet with some variations for US sailings. So the answers to your questions are

1.Yes at dinner you will definitely be seated with other English speakers.

2.The menus are in 5 languages with and English section

3.yes not that many TV channels but you can expect a few more channels in English on a US sailing than you do elsewhere

4 Sorry don't know

5.there isn't a cinema on any of the ships except the melody. You can watch Movies in your cabin at a fee. On my cruise last month they were 6 euros each although they did offer 4 English ones free of charge during our 4 day crossing of the Atlantic. We twice had Movies on the pool deck in the evening in English but this may have been because we were on a 18 night repositioning trip. Don't think this is usual on the shorter cruises.

6. Not that formal. A few 10-15% will be very formal but what you have suggested will be perfectly acceptable

7. Not sure as I rarely go to the buffet. You can definitely get them any way you like in the MDR.

Archived