High Tea and Alcohol

dolphinmar

My husband and I have booked our second Oceania cruise for next summer (2011) aboard the Marina and are counting down the days. (Well, I'm counting them down, DH is better at living in the moment than I am...:))

This will be our 10th cruise and I have always wanted to do afternoon tea but have never done so since we are usually on excursions. This time, I want to make a point of it, especially on Oceania. My husband loved the string quartet from the Insignia so having a string quartet play during tea is a draw for him. He is not overly fond of tea, however. Which leads to my question. Would he be able to order an alcoholic drink - rum would be his choice - during tea?

I guess I could always go without him but would prefer to go together. I expect he'd go without the rum but ....

Thanks for your help!

Pam

Thanks, LHT28 - I know, it is almost sacrilege. Tea and cakes are not his thing. He'd likely eat the less sweet offerings. But he'll be happy to hear the music and sip a rum.

Cheers!

Pam

They also have little sandwiches or scones with clotted cream ;)

Enjoy

Lyn

Yes the Horizons bar is open during tea or he could get coffee if that is an option for him

I cannot imagine having cake with rum & coke but to each his own :D

But a rum ball on the other hand.... Not a rum & coke but a rum & cake :)

On my recently completed Celebrity Eclipse cruise, we shared a table at the "Elite" Tea with friends from Cornwall and some others...One of our Cornish friends was quite opinionated as to what was proper or not regarding high tea and exactly how it was being eaten by some...

Be wary who you're sitting with when you order rum for tea... ;)

On Oceania it is not HIGH TEA in the true sense but Afternoon Tea.

Some people are just not use to being served & will run after the wait staff asking for tea & tea pot etc :eek:

Then stack their plates at the side bar with goodies ;)

Lyn

On Oceania it is not HIGH TEA in the true sense but Afternoon Tea.

Lyn

A very good point, Lyn.

Regardless of the beverage chosen, dolphinmar, do not miss the scones with clotted cream. I never made it to afternoon tea on my first two Oceania cruises because I was either sightseeing on shore or sitting by the pool in my bathing garb at 4 PM, but on my May cruise I heard so much about these scones, that we simply had to make a point of attending one afternoon.

They lived up to their wonderful billing!:)

This thread reminded me of a "cure" my grandmother had 60 years ago, when we were sick with a cold - a teaspoon of whiskey in a cup of tea. I seem to recall it working. I guess the whiskey put me to sleep while the hot tea made me sweat the bad stuff out while sleeping.

My 2009 Mediterranean cruise on the Nautica was greatly enhanced once we started going to afternoon tea and then stayed for the happy hour in Horizons and then on to dinner. What a great way to unwind after a day of sightseeing!

The scones are VERY good, as are the other pastries. I am somewhat of a "tea snob" and I was disappointed (and surprised) that the tea was made from tea bags, not loose leaf tea.

Happy hour included two glasses of wine for the price of one. We usually consumed one in the bar and took the other to dinner with us. It was perfect!

This thread reminded me of a "cure" my grandmother had 60 years ago, when we were sick with a cold - a teaspoon of whiskey in a cup of tea. I seem to recall it working. I guess the whiskey put me to sleep while the hot tea made me sweat the bad stuff out while sleeping.

My mom used to make that too, when we had head colds. She would also add a splash of lemon and a dollop of honey.

CintiPam - thanks for the scones and clotted cream suggestion. I had them once during an herbal retreat in Vermont and they were fabulous! I might even be able to tempt DH. He still talks about how great the croissant were at breakfast on the Insignia so he's got a bit of pastry tooth going. :)

Less than 8 months to go!!!!

Pam

Archived