How bad is David Peterson - really?

pacheco18

"How Bad is David Peterson-Really"

"but I was wondering if anyone has anything nice to say about David Peterson from recent experience."

With a thread titled as quoted above followed by the quote from the thread itself, I hope you can accept my belief that there is a negative orientation. Having said that, I accept that your intentions were honorable and that you got the positives you hoped for.

Ditto.

I've had David on both of my O cruises. I didn't have daily interaction with him such as buddy buddy chats, but from the brief encounters and casual greetings, I like him. He seems professional.

It depends on what you are expecting from your CD. If you're looking for attention 24/7 and schmoozefest from him, he doesn't seem to be the type who would do this as he has a ship and 600 other passengers to look after.

Hi everyone, DH and I will be sailing on the Insignia on the 21st with David over Xmas and New Year's....I believe we sailed with him once before, I cannot remember. We have open minds and I will report back to you all very honestly when we return!! Every CD has his/her own style and what some like others don't. That's why we have Rocky Road and Mint Chocolate Chip!!! Arlene;)

We were on Nautica this past summer and I believe Willie Aames mentioned he would be CD on Insignia when we sail in February. We also heard that Leslie Jon would be Marina's CD.

Interesting thread, because i had never much paid attention to the CD until I took up Team Trivia this last cruise. We don't go to the evening shows, so we miss a major interaction point.

Thanks to all for your comments. Most enlightening.

Personally, I don't "get" all the fuss over who the CD is. We go on cruises because we want to travel and enjoy the ship and the ports, not to be best buddies with the CD. He/she would never make or break our trip unless they were totally incompetent, thereby somehow affecting the overall operation of the ship.

Just my two cents worth and judging by this and other threads, we are in the minority.

Mo

Personally, I don't "get" all the fuss over who the CD is. We go on cruises because we want to travel and enjoy the ship and the ports, not to be best buddies with the CD. He/she would never make or break our trip unless they were totally incompetent, thereby somehow affecting the overall operation of the ship.

Just my two cents worth and judging by this and other threads, we are in the minority.

Mo

As another poster mentioned, if you are an avid trivia player, it makes a difference. IMO on our Medit cruise Leslie Jon's enthusiasm was contagious -- many of the events he hosted were special because of him. We were with 2 other couples and they, too, thought he had a considerable impact on our enjoyment of the on board activities.

We were on Nautica this past summer and I believe Willie Aames mentioned he would be CD on Insignia when we sail in February. We also heard that Leslie Jon would be Marina's CD.

Interesting thread, because i had never much paid attention to the CD until I took up Team Trivia this last cruise. We don't go to the evening shows, so we miss a major interaction point.

Thanks to all for your comments. Most enlightening.

that Willie has advanced and will now be a CD. He had just joined Oceania as a member of the activity staff when we sailed on the Regatta T/A this spring and just found him to be delightful! LuAnn

Mo

Totally agree with you.

That's what makes these boards so fascinating.

For me, the CD matters -- sets the tone on the ship.

On the other hand, I don't really care that much about the food -- and yet there are endless posts obsessing about the what's on the menu, did you taste this or that, how to get more reservations in the specialty restaurants. It's cruise food, it is plentiful and varied and I will sure find something I like to eat.

We all have different concerns and that is to be expected.

You are so right....for me the food is waaaay more imp than the CD. On our last cruise on Regatta the food just was not as good as previously on Insignia. Despite that we have booked one of the South Seas cruises on Regatta in 2012 and are looking forward to it even if the food is less than stellar.

It will be interesting to read the reviews of the Marina. We had to cancel the maiden voyage, but do have one booked for next Nov. I am thinking everything about it will be fantastic, even the CD!

Mo

You are so right....for me the food is waaaay more imp than the CD. On our last cruise on Regatta the food just was not as good as previously on Insignia. Despite that we have booked one of the South Seas cruises on Regatta in 2012 and are looking forward to it even if the food is less than stellar.

It will be interesting to read the reviews of the Marina. We had to cancel the maiden voyage, but do have one booked for next Nov. I am thinking everything about it will be fantastic, even the CD!

Mo

We will be on that November TA with you -- obsessing about the CD while you obsess about the food. LOLOL

Just my opinion, but it seems the CD would be way more important on a TA cruise vs the Singapore to Hong Kong itinerary when we will be so busy on shore (in fact we're spending 3 nights off the ship entirely), we will probably crash in the evening. No shows and maybe not even dinner. Zzzzzzz. It will be a totally different experience for us . . .

Just my opinion, but it seems the CD would be way more important on a TA cruise vs the Singapore to Hong Kong itinerary when we will be so busy on shore

Without a doubt. On the TA, with all those sea days, the CD will play a pivotal role IMO.

While we really like Leslie Jon's polished manner and professionalism, we also have enjoyed David Peterson. David is not a trained entertainer like Leslie but he is good at what he does.

Both deliver excellent daily morning programs. David's one-man evening show is a magic act whereas Leslie's is a nightclub performance.

David was our CD on a 27 day cruise in March/April 2010. There were over 100 people playing trivia and scheduling their afternoons around the trivia games. There were no complaints regarding David's abilities. He has a dry sense of humor and is quite business-like but we all had a great time playing trivia. Of utmost importance is your team!

We've been on two cruises with David and Margaret (his second in command). David remembered us even though it had been a few years since we had last cruised with him. He's always friendly when we see him around the ship. Of course, we haven't been invited to join him for dinner so I might have to lower this rating...

David and Leslie are both good at their jobs. We were on a cruise (another line) where we only saw the CD walking around the ship once and he was preoccupied so he didn't greet anyone. He didn't even have a daily morning program. But, I can't say he was terrible because there is so much to do behind the scenes that chatting people up sometimes takes a back seat to other responsibilities.

On our last cruise, David did a great job. The cruise ship had all sorts of obstacles to overcome because our cruise started in Valparaiso, Chile just days after their 8+ earthquake. Not only did he and the staff have to calm the passengers who were onboard and ensure them that they would receive help with their onward travel (due to all the air travel disruptions), but he also had to deal with those of us who embarked in Valparaiso and try to normalize our experience (even though we had to give up our embarkation berth and tender to the ship, miss our first port in Chile and pick up a lot of passengers in Lima who couldn't fly into Santiago). David's demeanor was calming in what could have been a most chaotic time.

Vaitape, I agree with you 100%. I'm sure that Pacheco18 didn't mean to be hurtful, but the phrasing of the question is certainly unfortunate. I wince whenever I see it, and I don't even know the man.

Can't TPTB change the title of the thread? I know they read the threads because I got my hand slapped for something quite innocuous.

Mura

We had David as our CD on our 14 day Med cruise on the Insignia in September and our group thought he did a fine job and was very personable.

He had a quick wit and great sense of humor.

It appeared he was very organized, hard working and still managed to be Fun !

No complaints at all.

Tim

Archived