How bad is David Peterson - really?

pacheco18

Just received our cruise docs for Nautica Asian Wonders (Jan 15) and found out he is our CD. I did a quick search on these boards and was really bummed when I read some of the comments.

We had Leslie Jon as CD on the Insignia and I know he is hard to top, but I was wondering if anyone has anything nice to say about David Peterson from recent experience.

Well - nice positive outlook (we have one too) but it is a non sequitur.

Leslie Jon was critical to our enjoyment on Insignia -- in some ways he MADE the cruise - he set the tone. The CD is not an insignificant aspect of cruising on O given the small number of passengers.

Is anyone willing to give us an honest assessment of this CD?

I think he was CD on one of our cruises he seemed fine but not as visible as David Shermat or Leslie Jon

We do not have much to do with the CD so would not like to say he was good or bad.

Hope you enjoy the cruise

We have cruised with all three. Leslie is our favorite, then David Shermat and then David Petersen. (We feel Petersen is the most "business like" and runs a tighter operation. He doesn't seem to "chat-up" the passengers or try and be their best friend)

That being said it is a preference of personality and style. All three are competent and run a good ship. Their styles just differ.

We rarely interact with the CD except to say "good morning" so who the CD is, is not important to us.

I know there are those who spend most of the time on board with the CD but on Oceania that does not seem to be necessary.

You will have a great cruise with any of them!

On our trip, David Peterson was the CD. I have no knowledge of the others, so I can't compare the three.

I prefer a more dignified, "not in your face", but friendly CD and I felt that David was just that. He was always at the gangplank seeing passengers off when at dock and we saw him around the ship often. He didn't seem to be overly chatty or overly friendly with guests. We were invited to his table for dinner one evening and he was a gracious host.

If you searched the past comments, you came across my opinion, which is almost identical to RetiredFL. David Peterson is very competent at the managerial and administrative aspects of being a Cruise Director, which involves much more than a stage presence. He is more than adequate as a master of ceremonies, but other than an occasional obligatory joke, he does not pretend to be a performer, nor, in my opinion, should he.

His TV shows are first rate, interviewing staff, making sure everything is up to date, and often letting his hair down. A cruise with David Peterson is certain to be smoothly run and integrated.

Is the "Puppet Master" who wears the kilts still employed as a CD by Oceania? I can't remember his name but those who have sailed with him as CD will know exactly who I mean.

He was CD when I sailed on Nautica in 2008. I still remember the time I told him how much we enjoyed the string quartet on Nautica. His exact words in response were "Tell them yourself, they speak English". I was so taken back that I couldn't think fast enough to say "I already HAVE told them...and I'm telling you now because I think you're their boss". He was the only CD I ever disliked.

Is the "Puppet Master" who wears the kilts still employed as a CD by Oceania? I can't remember his name but those who have sailed with him as CD will know exactly who I mean.

He was CD when I sailed on Nautica in 2008. I still remember the time I told him how much we enjoyed the string quartet on Nautica. His exact words in response were "Tell them yourself, they speak English". I was so taken back that I couldn't think fast enough to say "I already HAVE told them...and I'm telling you now because I think you're their boss". He was the only CD I ever disliked.

Hey hey Aruba!! Mike and I were just thinking about him this morning when this thread came up so Mike googled him--appears he is with Regent now...

I did not hear this story. Was this the BCN-IST cruise?? And YOU not liking someone--oh so hard to believe!!

Patty

I have to say that we are not cruisers who care much about the CD one way or the other. We tend not to have much interaction with them.

We finally cruised with Leslie John this summer (having heard so much about him over the years) -- no, I'm not going to bash him! We also didn't have much interaction with him but did appreciate his video reports in the morning.

For us, the CD is not a breaking point on a cruise ... far from it. It's nice to have a great one but it isn't necessary to have a great time.

Just our opinions ...

I have to say that we are not cruisers who care much about the CD one way or the other. We tend not to have much interaction with them.

We finally cruised with Leslie John this summer (having heard so much about him over the years) -- no, I'm not going to bash him! We also didn't have much interaction with him but did appreciate his video reports in the morning.

For us, the CD is not a breaking point on a cruise ... far from it. It's nice to have a great one but it isn't necessary to have a great time.

Just our opinions ...

This is David Peterson in Boca De Valeria,Brazil, delivering Christmas presents to village children, purchased with money donated by crew members at Mr. Peterson's instigation. It was VERY hot that day, only a short distance from the Equator.

How bad could he be?

day12-bocadevaleria%20027d%20%28Small%29.jpg

And, here he is as King Neptune at the Equator crossing ceremony, holding the fish for Betsy to kiss. He often dresses up in silly costumes for his daily TV show. But, he rarely smiles...it's just his way.

day10%20031d%20%5B640x480%5D.jpg

On our trip, David Peterson was the CD. I have no knowledge of the others, so I can't compare the three.

I prefer a more dignified, "not in your face", but friendly CD and I felt that David was just that. He was always at the gangplank seeing passengers off when at dock and we saw him around the ship often. He didn't seem to be overly chatty or overly friendly with guests. We were invited to his table for dinner one evening and he was a gracious host.

I forgot to mention that one day my friend and I bumped into David while ashore. He was on his way to the store to pick up candy and other small nick-knacks for the crew. "They enjoy those things", he said with a shrug.

Sounds like he has a big heart to me.

And no, I don't mean compact discs, although they surely could you some defense these days.

Cruise Directors perform a variety of duties on board, from announcements to acting as Master of Ceremonies, and from running games such as Trivia to greeting passengers. The 3 main CD's on Oceania have all been at their responsibilities for a number of years, so clearly they must be performing up to or exceeding management's expectations or their tenure would have ended. Yes, they have different strengths, but each is quite professional.

Having sailed with each of them, I certainly have my favorite, but I also fully understand why O is at least satisfied with their work.

To initiate a thread with a clearly negative orientation about one of them is, I think, not the fairest way to seek information about the cruise director on your coming sailing.

[quote name=

To initiate a thread with a clearly negative orientation about one of them is, I think, not the fairest way to seek information about the cruise director on your coming sailing.[/quote]

I disagree. It is totally fair because the "negative orientation" derived from all the negative posts about him on these boards. Do a search and you will see what I mean. Particularly telling on the O boards -- where loyal O passengers rarely have an unkind word to say about any aspect of O. The reviews of Mr. Peterson have been scathing - he has been called rude, arrogant etc. Not adjectives I would associate with a good CD. Personally, I am delighted to read some of the more positive posts here. Apparently my "negative orientation" drew out some positive responses.

I disagree. It is totally fair because the "negative orientation" derived from all the negative posts about him on these boards. Do a search and you will see what I mean. Particularly telling on the O boards -- where loyal O passengers rarely have an unkind word to say about any aspect of O. The reviews of Mr. Peterson have been scathing - he has been called rude, arrogant etc. Not adjectives I would associate with a good CD. Personally, I am delighted to read some of the more positive posts here. Apparently my "negative orientation" drew out some positive responses.

Laraine,

I totally agree.....the post helped ferret out exactly what people were referring to in prior posts and my conclusion is now that i am more positive about the upcoming cruise with him as CD. I am glad that Mr Peterson has some very positive management attributes that perhaps were overlooked by those people who wanted to be more entertained than informed. As usual there are two sides to every story and i am glad that you opened the forum to gather better information - i did not see it as negative or critical in any way but more searching for the truth which i feel we now have a better handle on.

thank you

Lisa

"How Bad is David Peterson-Really"

"but I was wondering if anyone has anything nice to say about David Peterson from recent experience."

With a thread titled as quoted above followed by the quote from the thread itself, I hope you can accept my belief that there is a negative orientation. Having said that, I accept that your intentions were honorable and that you got the positives you hoped for.

Does anyone know who will be the CD on the 02JAN 2011 Regatta or where I can find out ?

Thanks

It should be in your Cruise booklet that you get about 6 wks prior to the cruise

if not ask your TA to find out

Archived