Norwegian Star Panama Canal Cruise delayed?

Seacruise

I have learned that early this morning that the Panama Canal has been closed till further notice due to weather.

I have been posting the Panama Canal schedule for years and never seen this. There are currently 3 ships in Miraflores Locks that have been there since early this morning. The current backlog is huge. Norwegian Star is due W/B tomorrow and no idea what will happen with her.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Phil

Seacruise

Looks like it is going to be awhile. They have even turned the lights off for Gatun Locks tonight.

I see Gatun River has flooded her banks and roads are closed to Colon.

Phil

Phil

Just read on Sea cruise that the canal has been closed on December 12th.....3 days from now:eek::confused::eek:

I think someone has their dates a bit off...LOL

I have learned that early this morning that the Panama Canal has been closed till further notice due to weather.
"Until further notice" was only a few hours. The canal authorities needed to let some water run out of the lakes.

The canal was re-opened in time for traffic this morning (Thursday).

Phil

Just read on Sea cruise that the canal has been closed on December 12th.....3 days from now:eek::confused::eek:

I think someone has their dates a bit off...LOL

That would be me.... I had a headache yesterday and it is still with me this morning. Nothing is touching it and I have the dentist this morning as well, yea..... I saw this mistake this morning and went oh goody.

It is nice to see the canal open again all be it slightly behind for the Norwegian Star.

Phil

"Until further notice" was only a few hours. The canal authorities needed to let some water run out of the lakes.

The canal was re-opened in time for traffic this morning (Thursday).

The canal was closed more than a "few hours". It was closed mid morning yesterday till just after 5 AM this morning. The canal operates 24/7.

I have never seen the the Authority turn off the lights at Gatun locks. It looked so weird last night seeing that just before I went to bed.

It will be several days before the back log is cleared up.

Even with the Norwegian Star having a reservation she is still several hours behind her transit.

Phil

The canal was closed more than a "few hours". It was closed mid morning yesterday till just after 5 AM this morning. The canal operates 24/7.

I have never seen the the Authority turn off the lights at Gatun locks. It looked so weird last night seeing that just before I went to bed.

It will be several days before the back log is cleared up.

Even with the Norwegian Star having a reservation she is still several hours behind her transit.

Phil

How many hours behind is the Star ?? I thought all cruise ships were scheduled for daylight transit only.

The canal was closed more than a "few hours".
It was a few hours rather than a few days or a few weeks, which is "closed till further notice" could be taken to mean.

The latter meaning might cause people to wonder whether their Panama Canal cruise next week, or towards the end of this month, might be affected. This being CC, some members have already been worrying about that on some threads. This closure was nothing like that.

It was a few hours rather than a few days or a few weeks, which is "closed till further notice" could be taken to mean.

The latter meaning might cause people to wonder whether their Panama Canal cruise next week, or towards the end of this month, might be affected. This being CC, some members have already been worrying about that on some threads. This closure was nothing like that.

No where did I say it was a few days or a few weeks, those are your words. I posted "closed till further notice", which is exactly what it was. I stand by what I posted.

The weather in Panama is not looking good for the next 7-10 days and another storm is just off shore. More rain will just compound the current problems.

Madden Dam exceeded it's maximum level yesterday and the dam was opened to allow a run off from the lake this in turn caused strong currents at Gamboa and floating islands of debris. This caused a problem for navigation on the lake and thus the canal was closed.

The debris was evident this morning as Norwegian Star approached Gamboa. While the Norwegian Star was late arriving at Gatun Locks this morning it has made up some time so far.

I also noticed more debris near Pedro Miguel locks as Norwegian Star approached.

Phil

No where did I say it was a few days or a few weeks, those are your words. I posted "closed till further notice", which is exactly what it was. I stand by what I posted.

The weather in Panama is not looking good for the next 7-10 days and another storm is just off shore. More rain will just compound the current problems.

Madden Dam exceeded it's maximum level yesterday and the dam was opened to allow a run off from the lake this in turn caused strong currents at Gamboa and floating islands of debris. This caused a problem for navigation on the lake and thus the canal was closed.

The debris was evident this morning as Norwegian Star approached Gamboa. While the Norwegian Star was late arriving at Gatun Locks this morning it has made up some time so far.

I also noticed more debris near Pedro Miguel locks as Norwegian Star approached.

Phil

Phil, what webcams are you looking at? Thanks:D

Many people will take the words "closed until further notice" to mean a long, long time and that their cruise is ruined.

But, as the OP said, he did not intend that to cause any alarm, and was just posting what he knew at the time.

Glad to hear that they are getting some ships through.

No where did I say it was a few days or a few weeks, those are your words. I posted "closed till further notice", which is exactly what it was.
It wasn't the words you used, it was the impression that your words gave.

Here is an example of someone (on another thread) who mistakenly thought that this might be substantially more dramatic than it was:-

OH no! I hope it is reopened later this month since we will be on the 12/23 sailing. ... This is a trip that is on my DH bucket list so I hope by then we can get through. We only booked this for the canal.
But in the end, this closure was only 17 hours, not 17 days.

Archived