Current Zuiderdam Gatun Lake Cruise Delayed?

Seacruise

This morning the Panama Canal closed the Panama Canal due to weather.

The Zuiderdam is due to transit Gatun Locks tomorrow but currently the locks are closed and there is a major back log as a result. Norwegian Star is due for a full transit tomorrow W/B. There is no idea as I post this when the canal will reopen.

Phil

Seacruise

Wow, that's really something. I guess it's closed due to heavy rain. When I went though there in 2008 it had been raining for a week and they were in a state of emergency. They must have a lot more rain now. I had been through there before but I felt bad for those people who had not been through before. Thanks for the information.

and it rained alot and blew alot that week ..as you may have heard we lost a generator and was late arriveing at port...we wondered if that was maybe the reason all the blowing wind...it rained and blew so bad we had so much salt on everything on the veranda that we could not use it for the last 3 days....it wasn't exactally the Holland America that we had come to know and love...the ship is in pretty sad shape...the loveseat in our room was filthy..and talking to other passengers we fould that to be a problem in a lot of the rooms...also major salt build up.. in corners of the doors and on handles...this ship needs attention!!!!The people that work on it are wonderful and the best Holland cast shows we have ever seen...but the rooms need HELP!!!!Good luck still like HAL alot!!!!

This is going to be awhile yet. They have turned the lights off tonight at Gatun Locks. Roads to/from Colon are currently closed and will remain closed till tomorrow at least due to severe flooding.

The problem is the Zuiderdam if able to dock will likely not be able to do anything beyond the port due to flooding.

Phil

Seacruise

and it rained alot and blew alot that week ..as you may have heard we lost a generator and was late arriveing at port...we wondered if that was maybe the reason all the blowing wind...it rained and blew so bad we had so much salt on everything on the veranda that we could not use it for the last 3 days....it wasn't exactally the Holland America that we had come to know and love...the ship is in pretty sad shape...the loveseat in our room was filthy..and talking to other passengers we fould that to be a problem in a lot of the rooms...also major salt build up.. in corners of the doors and on handles...this ship needs attention!!!!The people that work on it are wonderful and the best Holland cast shows we have ever seen...but the rooms need HELP!!!!Good luck still like HAL alot!!!!

Sad to see that she is in need of TLC.

Phil

OH no! I hope it is reopened later this month since we will be on the 12/23 sailing. This will be our first cruise with HAL and you know what they say about first impressions. I understand we can't control weather, but they can control the look of the ship. This is a trip that is on my DH bucket list so I hope by then we can get through. We only booked this for the canal.

This morning the Panama Canal closed the Panama Canal due to weather.
If there is a back log -- chances are that the cruise ships that are doing the full transits will have priority. Those ships doing partials can change their itineraries.
IIRC, cruise ships pay quite a lot extra to have specific time slots to fit in with their tight schedules.

In any event, it was only a matter of hours. The canal was re-opened in time for traffic this morning (Thursday).

looks like you will and they are right they pay abundle to get ship through....hope you enjoy the locks as they are very interesting...also check out p. Limon jipline it was great!!!!

Actually tours there were the absolute best....and boy will you be surprised what their top export is ...we were!!!It is not banana CHIPS!!! Have a good cruise. Pam

Archived