Info on folding travel scooters?

rascalrider

I am looking into getting a lightweight folding travel scooter that does not need to be taken apart. I would like to hear from anyone with experience with them. I am thinking that they may make getting taxis easier for touring. My main concerns are with having adequate ground clearance so as not to get hung up on ramp apexes, door threshholds and raised curb cuts. Also concerned with having enough power to climb steep ship ramps in port and ramps into the ship theaters. I am also hoping to find a minimum range of 12 miles per charge.

My internet search has come up with the CADDY Fold-N-Drive ( http://www.medical-supplies-equipment.com ) as meeting most of my needs. However it has no arms which I need for easier getting to my feet. I wonder if arms could be added and still fold compactly. There are several others that need to have the seat removed and then the tiller folds down or that break down into 3-4 parts. Those add more work for the taxi driver, because I can't do it myself. I am looking for the simplest compact lightweight system that works well on uneven sidewalks, gravel, hills and not just flat, smooth surfaces.

I would like to hear of your experiences, ease of use and the pros and cons of your travel scooters.

I have been taking my Rascal ... great comfortable scooter ... lots of power ... 25 mile range ... but heavy (163#) and big (47.5" long)

Thanks a bunch!

Rascal Rider Ruth

Hi Ruth I have the featherlite by no boundaries, it has arms and it folds real nice, It fits right in the car. Maybe you be interested in looking at it. Just type in no boundaries scooters into your search engine, there is a viedo that shows you how it folds. They will also send you a free viedo to your home before you buy. Hope this helps. Teresa

Hi Tradogna,

Thank you for your response. I looked at the no boundaries site. How much does the scooter weigh? I did not find that on the site. How well does the scooter climb steep cruise ship ramps? Ramps into the main theaters on Princess ships? How does it perform outside on gravel, broken sidewalks and such? Have you found the 8-10 mile per charge range adequate for sightseeing and/or running errands? Outdoor use is only rated as ** (2 stars) on no boundaries site.

Thanks,

Ruth

Hi Ruth, this is the first scooter I every had, so I have nothing to compare to. But I love it, it is great out doors and climps steep hills well. I never had a probably with the battery running out. But like I say I am not an experet on scooters. I am trying to find you the phone of the man I bought it from, he is disabled himself and is wonderful, we have talked to him before the sale and can answer all your questions. He is also good after the sale, we had a small problem after the sale, he took care of it right away and then sent us a free radio and light for the scooter because he felt bad that we had a little problem. I will look for his number this weekend and give it to you when I find it. I am not saying this scooter is right for everyone but I love it, and maybe if you call him you can find out if it is right for you. I will get back with you. Best of luck. Teresa

Teresa,

Thanks for the info. I am hoping others will tell me how they like other kinds as well and any shortcomings or pluses they have. Anyone use the Roll-Aid for travel? The attachment for a foldable manual chair that makes it into a motorized chair.

Ruth

My husband LOVES his Roll-Aid on cruises. It is kind of a pain to take on a plane, but our last and next cruises were/will be from port we could drive to, so no big deal. Having the Roll-Aid allowed him to be more independent (he is a quad and not much good at pushing on those thick carpets) and was nice for me too. At dinner he dismounts outside the dining room and parks the scooter in an out-of-the-way place. There has always been an eager waiter to push him to his seat. We usually didn't take it off the ship--I can't remember if we EVER did, actually, but was great on board. A charge usually lasts him several weeks at home. I can't remember if we even took the charger on the cruise. We both love the device and really missed it when it was briefly out of order last week. He uses it for walks around the neighborhood, malls, and other outdoor outings, but not inside the house.

Robseat,

Thank you for input on the Roll-Aid. I was wondering how it handles steep ramps or broken sidewalks. When you flew with it were you able to put it in the interior closet or did it have to go in the cargo hold? Did you put the Roll-Aid inside a suitcase to transport, as I have seen suggested elsewhere?

Ruth

I have a go-go which I have taken on two cruises. Celebrity Galaxy and Sapphire princess. I have had no problems with ramps to theater or getting on and off the boats. The men on the ships are most accomodating. I have also taken it ashore many times without problems. It can be lifted into a taxi-but it does weigh 92 pounds. It is easy to break down into two parts-take off the seat and fold down the handle. Weighs less that way and easier to lift. It came with a seat without arms, but the dealer swapped with another Pride and gave me a seat with arms. I LOVE it! It is only 19 inches wide so it fits thru small spaces. Can you walk some? If the ramp looks too intimidating, you could walk down and the crew will bring it to you. I live in Silver Spring, Md. Just back from the Princess around New Zealand, Tasmania and Australia. Flew coast to coast to LA with the scooter and then to Auckland-flew home from Sidney.Absolutely no problems. The air line personnel could not have been more helpful. I got off in every port. I did have my brother and husband with me-but trust me you could do it. Never ran out of "Juice" but usually took my charger with me just in case. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to send me an e-mail and I will try to answer them.

Juliab

Thanks, Juliab. I was afraid the 2" ground clearance would not be adequate and was not sure about the power. Good to hear that this model works fine. I have taken my Rascal on 5 cruises and it works great on ship and on shore ... only problem is getting transportation for it on shore as it is big and heavy so thought I might get a lightweight folding one. One fellow on my last cruise did not have enough power to get up ramp to theater ... had to have his wife push him. Want to stay away from weak ones but don't know what brand it was ... think it came from UK.

Rascal Rider Ruth

Ruth,

My Roll-Aid handles ramps and broken sidewalks OK - as well as any scooter. The one time I did fly with it they boxed it in cardboard and checked it. It is very compact but with two 12 volt batteries it weighs in at 85 pounds. Too much for a suitcase. I have skycaps push me in my manual chair until I meet up with the Roll-Aid again. Hope this helps.

Robseat

My Dad has the 4-wheel GOGO scooter. It does breakdown into 4 parts but also only weighs a total of 98 lbs. When were on the Mexican Rivera cruise taxi drivers had no problem taking the seat off and lifting it into their trunks. He had no problem getting on and off the ship ramps and it was easy enought to lift in the tenders. It has arms so he can ge up easily. He loves the four wheels since it is more stable then the three wheel scooters. He is a vetran with scooters. He lives iin the country and has gone through 4 large scooters within the last 15 years he goes every where with them and he has the GOGO scooter just for travel and has a large 4 wheel Pride scooter for home. He purchased the gogo for $1000 off the internet. He has said that the minute something happens to this one he will purchase another. Infact we are going on the Southern Carribean Cruise as their 50th anniversay party and he can't wait to go he says he has plans to have a great time with us. Good Luck on your purchasing a travel scooter.

Hi,

I also have a Pride 3-wheel Go-Go. Just took it on the Navigator of the Seas Western Caribbean cruise in February and it was wonderful. Plenty of power for the ramps getting on the ship (although one gentleman just thought he had to help me).

It is small enough to get into a standard room with a balcony and there was plenty of space to park it. I used it in Ocho Rios and when we wanted to get a cab back to the ship there was no problem getting it into the taxi which was a van/suv type. The driver just picked it up and put it into the back of the cab.

There were few curb cuts in the part of Ocho Rios we saw, but usually where there is a will there is a way.

We were gone for 7 days and I charged the battery overnight twice. Now I must go to Google and find out what a Roll-Aid is....

Oh yes, I use it all the time when I go go shopping malls at home too, I really don't know what I'd do without it. Like jnickolite's Dad, when I wear this one out, I'll definitely get another one.

Iris

Thanks Iris and Jnicolite for the Pride GoGo recommendations. Does the GoGo have rear wheel drive? I was also concerned about ground clearance on that model ... I think it is 2". You have had no problems scrapeing the bottom on threshholds and the like?

Iris, The Roll-Aid is a tiller, front wheel and battery pack to attach to a manual wheelchair to make it into a motorized chair.

Rascal Rider Ruth

• 1 month later...

Hey Iris.............we met you on the Navigator of the Seas last February. How are you doing? I have been reading the disabled boards because we are scheduled for a Hawaiian cruise on Saturday and hubby broke his heel bone last week. You are probably the best one for answers to my questions.

Did you use the tenders when you cruised? If so, how do they do it with a wheelchair?

Carol from Pa.

Hi Carol,

It's good to hear from you again. How is your lovely Granddaughter? We haven't been to Hawaii yet, but maybe I can talk Dean into that after we have been through the Panama Canal in November.

I didn't actually take my scooter on the tenders, but did see several people who did use wheelchairs take them on board. If he can walk at all they may take the wheelchair on board the tender and then help him on. In one case I saw them bring the wheelchair onto the tender with the person in it. They then strapped the wheelchair down in case the sea was rough. (It wasn't, but I guess it also kept the chair from moving around.) I have heard that other cruise lines are not as good about that as Royal Caribbean was. They were all extremely helpful on the Navigator of the Seas.

Most cruise lines have a special services operator that you can contact through their website. They may be able to answer questions specific to the ports you will be visiting. Look for "special needs" or "handicap services", etc - they should be able to help.

Have a great trip, and let me know how he makes out.

Iris

irisfreily@suscom.net

My mother uses a "Buzz-Around". It is less than 100 lbs. It comes apart into several pieces, however, I just fold down the seat and the steering part. The clearance is so-so and it has been stuck several times. Mind you, we are new to this.

I have never traveled with it on a plane before and our Princess Star trip is coming up in 3 weeks. I am concerned, and have posted here before, about what to expect from the airlines. We are traveling 1st class on United, then Business class on SAS. As long as the scooter arrives in working condition in Copenhagen, I will be happy.

Does anyone know about taking a scooter/electic wheelchair AND a manual wheelchair too? Do airlines accomodate this?

Like I said, this is all new to me. I want to make this a comfortable and enjoyable trip for Jeanne, but then again, I am going too!

Thanks.

Hi Trey,

Are you still with on the Star on 9/22/05? Haven't seen you on the roll call board in some time.

I have never taken a manual chair, just a scooter, but there are others who regularly do so. You should have no problem with the airline transporting both. The scooter will be checked with your luggage and possibly the wheelchair, also. There might be room in the airline cabin closet for one wheelchair and there might not ... in any case it would be first come, gets the space ... everything else goes in with baggage. You might not be able to determine that until you get to the plane door. If you check both, you can borrow an airline wheelchair for your trip to the gate. I would recommend that you call the airline and ask what their procedure is.

My scooter has flown three times and did get a tear in the seat back the third time ... but no mechanical damage. In the event of damage, the airline will make it good for you, however ... it would be wise for you to locate a place in Copenhagen where any repairs could be made if needed and to get a loaner if necessary.

I have just purchased a Scootie. 73# with batteries. It is so cheaply made I fear a little for its welfare in the baggage compartment, but take comfort in the fact that many scooters survive flights just fine, or with cosmetic scratches only. I remove my front basket and leave it home so it doesn't get crushed. Otherwise take it onto the plane with you and reattach after.

Are you taking a voltage converter and adaptor for charging scooter in Copenhagen if you are spending any time there?

Let me know how you make out and what conditions, stairs, cobblestones, etc that you encounter, as I will be taking that same trip in September.

I hope this has been of some help to you.

Have a great trip and report back upon your return!

Ruth

Yes, we are still going on the Star 9/22. I am just taking this one trip at a time. Of course, I will give you a full update as to what to expect once we return. Jeanne is not too concerned about being able to get out and see things. She will do what she can and if not, she's been to all these ports before (when she was able to get around on her own).

Trey

• 1 month later...

My wife just bought her second folding scooter from No Boundaries. She has an Amigo folding scooter which does have a distance problem. The new one from No Boundaries has a larger battery with double the distance battery life. She has taken it all over the world and has had no problems with airlines or cruise ships. It does cobblestones in Europe, uneven garden paths, etc.

pvmkmyer,

What reception has the Amigo or No Boundaries gotten with tour buses and taxis for shore excursions? Are drivers willing to load it even though vehicles do not have wheelchair ramps or lifts? What model No Boundaries does she have? What are the dimensions? Length, width, weight, battery amperage and mileage range?

Thanks, Ruth

pvmkmyer,

What reception has the Amigo or No Boundaries gotten with tour buses and taxis for shore excursions? Are drivers willing to load it even though vehicles do not have wheelchair ramps or lifts? What model No Boundaries does she have? What are the dimensions? Length, width, weight, battery amperage and mileage range?

Thanks, Ruth

I've never had any problem with buses or taxis. Usually they are all so amazed to see it fold up that they are thrilled to help us with it. The only airline trouble I ever had was with Aer Lingus, who refused to deliver the cart to the ramp so we had to pick it up at baggage claim and even then, they wouldn't help us take it over the conveyor. I'll never use that airline again. But I digress.

I think the scooter is called a Featherweight deluxe. I suggest you look on their website for dimensions. I know it weighs about 70 lb total, including the battery. The battery is about 20 lb. The battery is bigger (and heavier by 6 lb) than her old Amigo, but the Amigo didn't go very far, so we were constantly charging batteries. Also the Amigo did not have an off-board charger, so you couldn't leave one battery at the hotel while you were out with the other. We bought an extra battery so we can always have one charged. We put the additional battery in the checked luggage.

No Boundaries says it has a 10-mile range, but this is the maximum you'd get on level smooth ground. Still, that's twice as much as her old scooter. We haven't put it through a real world test yet, since it just arrived. It is much easier to steer than her old one and you can charge the batteries when they're off the cart, so she's looking forward to trying it out for a day soon. Maybe this weekend, as we have a number of errands to do around town.

Thanks, if this is her second No Boundaries scooter, that is a good endorsement.

I took my new Scootie out for 4.5 - 5 hours and was driving it for 4 hours straight. I think that is about its limit. I drove it full throttle and up a lot of grades. I am hoping that this will be sufficient for most sightseeing.

Ruth

Archived