Info on folding travel scooters?

rascalrider

I loved my Pride Gogo on my Thanksgiving cruise! The HC cabin was in the very front of the ship--not near the elevators and it was so difficult to navigate the halls with multiple carts, baskets, etc in the way. I don't know how I would have made it with a wider scooter--I could barely squeak by as it was!

Hi Iris and Piper,

It was super to take a walk around the top deck track on Infinity! Dave had to slow down so I could keep up with him!! He loved that!

The go-go does go around everything in the halls. We were amazed at the manuverability!

Also, wanted to comment on the other passengers. 99% were great about sharing the elevators with the scooter. I'd just say "watch your toes" and everyone would back up against the walls and smile. They were also great about holding the elev. doors.

Sometimes had to wait til there was a less crowded elevator. Another trick we learned was that we got on empty elevators going up when we (and the rest of the crowds) wanted to go down. Just had to ride a little longer. This was mostly at dinner. It helped to go to dinner earlier, too. Since we had an aft handicapped cabin, those elevators were used alot at mealtimes.

Southwest Airlines was super gatechecking the scooter and wheelchair. A porter also wisked us right past the lines during check-in at San Diego and Philly.

Thanks for everyone's help on this board. It really helps a first timer.

Hope this helps someone else.

Hi Judy,

I'm so glad you had a great time on your cruise! Thanks for checking in........

Rascal Rider Ruth, you are amazing........................I am in awe of what you figure out to adapt your scooter to your needs................glad you had a good trip, both to Russia and to Mexico. One question, were you able to get inside the museums in St Petersburg?

Happy Holidays to all..................Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy Kwanza..............

Hi Dale,

Happy Holidays to you and everyone also!

Also wanted to add that the tours we took with Celebrity buses were great about stowing the scooter under and the drivers always helped to get it out and put it in. Dave got to see much, much more on the scenic stops. Love our Go-Go!

Judy,

I am so glad that Dave enjoyed the Go-Go and the new freedom that it facilitated. And you were worried that he would not want to use it! I am so happy that it worked out so well for you. You mentioned that you took a wheelchair along also. How much of the time did he use the chair?

You mention that he got a blister on his thumb. How about trying a cotton glove and see if that would solve the problem. I am not sure how the Go-Go tiller is but I am thinking it is a very short one and he has to pull it towards him for forward with his left hand. If he doesn't like a glove, maybe just a thumb condom. Just a thought.

Ruth

DsrtDrmr,

Necessity is the mother of invention. My problem with the Scootie is that it is so small, it is harder to carry the accessories. I am not sure yet how to deal with my ramp on the plane. I doubt that it will stay strapped to the seat back in the luggage hold. There is no room on this scooter for my tray table so depended on the crew to fill and carry my plate when at the buffet.

In St Petersburg I used my scooter in the Hermitage, but it had to be carried up about six steps at the Commandants entry ... not the main entry. There is a small elevator inside. One step into St Nicholas Cathedral, two steps into Peter and Pauls Cathedral. Russian State Museum is accessible but did not go there. Was allowed in part of Peter the Greats Montplaisir Summer Palace ... if it had not been raining would have seen more ... they did not want sandy tires wearing on beautiful inlaid wood floors. Catherine's Palace, Yusopov's Palace and Peter the Greats Winter Palace have too many stairs. Don't believe it if you are told Russian Village is accessible ... the grounds are but every single building in the complex has 3-4 steps to enter. There are about nine buildings in the village. DenRus has wheelchair van with ramp for touring. They were great to deal with.

Hope this helps.

Ruth

Judy,

I am so glad that Dave enjoyed the Go-Go and the new freedom that it facilitated. And you were worried that he would not want to use it! I am so happy that it worked out so well for you. You mentioned that you took a wheelchair along also. How much of the time did he use the chair?

You mention that he got a blister on his thumb. How about trying a cotton glove and see if that would solve the problem. I am not sure how the Go-Go tiller is but I am thinking it is a very short one and he has to pull it towards him for forward with his left hand. If he doesn't like a glove, maybe just a thumb condom. Just a thought.

Ruth

Hi Ruth,

My Dave used the go-go all the time. Didn't use the wheelchair at all. Of course, he can walk a little and go up steps if there are handrails. Stepping onto a tossing tender is extremely scary for him. They helped him alot. We try to be the first on and last off because the tender is more even with the platform because of the passenger weight and he doesn't have to step up so high or down so far.

As far as the tiller, we may pad the end of the left tiller. He has to push it out with his thumb tip to go forward (which is what is used most of the time). His thumb got very tired sometimes and I would hold the tiller. Wish they could reverse forward and reverse hand movements, but go-go said it's not possible.

Would love to hear more of your adventures in the Baltics for our upcoming cruise in August. What was your favorite port? most accessible?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Hi Ruth

I just came back from a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Carnival Pride with my featherlite from No Boundries and My scooter performed like a champ! I had no trouble going anywhere on the ship or off. My daughter and I went into Puerta Vallarta shopping and the scooter just folded up and went into the taxi trunk or back seat. in Matzatlan we folded it up and took it on the water taxi to Stone island. I didn't use it on the sand but that was about all. We tendered into Cabo and we just folded it up and took it on the tender. The ship ramps weren't a problem but the handicap curb cuts in Mexico were really steep so I did need a little push to go up sometimes. We plugged the battery in each night and I went wherever I wanted to the next day. We also went to Disneyland before our cruise and my battery lasted the entire day and night with no trouble. I was also able to drive it ride up to the plane door and then they folded it up and it went with the strollers.

This was my first trip with my scooter and I couldn't have asked for anything better.Good Luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Karen

Hi Ruth

I just came back from a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Carnival Pride with my featherlite from No Boundries and My scooter performed like a champ! I had no trouble going anywhere on the ship or off. My daughter and I went into Puerta Vallarta shopping and the scooter just folded up and went into the taxi trunk or back seat. in Matzatlan we folded it up and took it on the water taxi to Stone island. I didn't use it on the sand but that was about all. We tendered into Cabo and we just folded it up and took it on the tender. The ship ramps weren't a problem but the handicap curb cuts in Mexico were really steep so I did need a little push to go up sometimes. We plugged the battery in each night and I went wherever I wanted to the next day. We also went to Disneyland before our cruise and my battery lasted the entire day and night with no trouble. I was also able to drive it ride up to the plane door and then they folded it up and it went with the strollers.

This was my first trip with my scooter and I couldn't have asked for anything better.Good Luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Karen

Hi These reports sure sound wonderful

We are booked in the Med next fall and I have a new auto go We are flying to Istanbul Have any of you had experience through europe We are alo doing Rome and Venice---- I can walk some but no distance this machine also is light and folds up to become a walker as well I guess the first trip will tell the tale

Thanks for all the info so far Jo:cool:

Hi Kati

The company I bought my scooter from is called Ultralite Mobility Corp

in Mississagua ONtario Canada

The # I have is 1-800-394-7592

I'm pretty sure there is an american outlet too try the internet under autogo maybe that will help I got the name from a legion magazine

Hope this helps

I just got my husband the new AutoGo Vision and we are going to try it out in South America. The thing that sold it for me was I can leave it in the SUV and just take off the battery which I can bring into the house to charge. Katisdale - there is a contact number on the website. It is available in the US -- in fact it is made in New Jersey. One of the things I loved is they brought it to our house to let my husband try it out.

Here is the link for it

http://www.ultralite.biz/products/vision.shtml

I am planning a group party for my grandma 100 birthday. 30 people will be going and she currently uses a Merits which is Very comfortable, but very heavy. I contacted www.themobilityshop.com and rented a small folding GO-GO SCOOTER for the cruise. Midwest airlines will stow the scooter for free and it does not count as lugage. Rented a van In California (cheaper then cruise line transfer with a group) and booked a room near the elevator for her. Now she can have her independence around the ship with no problem. I will tell you the seat in the GO-GO is NO way as comfortable as the Merits!!! They also gave me a discount on the rental since we got the Merits scooter from them/MEDICARE. no charge

Pickpart2,

I use a Go-Go scooter when cruising and understand the chair/seat problem. Just purchase a cushion with the non-slip bottom (like you would use on a kitchen chair or a plastic deck chair). It works and doesn't slip when getting on and off the scooter. They have the cushions in 1" and 2" thicknesses. I have both - depends on how long I'll be sitting at a time.

Sounds like a wonderful party for your Grandma.

Irisf

Judy ... if you give me your email I will be happy to send you my daily journal from the Baltic trip. I think St Petersburg was my favorite and also my most expensive port, butI loved them all and did a lot on my own. Just took off on my scooter and visited what I wanted to see. When are you going and on what ship?

Jo ... when is your cruise to Itanbul, Rome and Venice? I am planning a Black Sea cruise in Oct and will spend two pre-cruise days in Venice. It will be somewhat of a challenge getting around there due to all the canals and foot bridges which are have steps. I have found four wheelchair accessible self-tour routes suited for wheelchairs, but to get beteen the areas will probably have to use a waterbus. There are a couple of lines that have wheelchair ramps so it should be interesting to see if I can get where I want to be. Unfortunately, the map with wheelchair accessible paths is no longer published, but there are lots of bits and pieces of maps available ... the problem is figuring out how the areas are positioned to one another. The site that I have found most helpful is www.comune.venezia.it . If you are going to Kusadasi you might try www.************.com . They advertise tours for the disabled for Ephesus Ancient City (a must see), Temple of Artemision, House of Virgin Mary and St John Basilica. They may very well offer tours of Istanbul as well as Istanbul agencies offers tours in both cities. I have not decided what I want to see in Istanbul. I have been there once before on crutches. I do not remember the steps into mosques precisely, but think that they are minimal (one or two). Shoes have to be removed or shoe covers required (if you cannot take them off) in the mosques. Tip: take rubber bands to keep them on.

Seems like this is the wrong thread for all this ... oh well ... you asked. :)

Ruth

Hi Ruth Thanks for your help

We are booked on the Brilliance of the Seas Oct 24 leaving from Istanbul

I doubt we will do much in Istanbul as we are just flying in that day but Venice is really interesting to me I have never taken the scooter before and hope to be able to get around some on our own I may have to take a tour in rome but how does that work in Venice Hopefully we can do some walking and rolling so to speak Im not sure about the tenders on the islands and what we will do there yet looking for more info there as well

This scooter is light and can be a walker as well so that will help a lot

Looking forward to this very much as we also continue on a transatlantic as well 27 days wow!!! Any info you can offer will be great Jo:cool:

Hi Ruth,

It would be wonderful if you send me your journal!!!!

We really like to take off and just wander around too.

My email is da2ju@netzero.com. I'll appreciate it very much.

Did you ever figure out your ramp for your scooter? I saw some advertised on Ebay that were the folding type. There is a new thread about them. We may get one for our Baltic trip. I think you said you could have used one.

Thanks,

Judy

I just got my husband the new AutoGo Vision and we are going to try it out in South America. The thing that sold it for me was I can leave it in the SUV and just take off the battery which I can bring into the house to charge. Katisdale - there is a contact number on the website. It is available in the US -- in fact it is made in New Jersey. One of the things I loved is they brought it to our house to let my husband try it out.

Here is the link for it

http://www.ultralite.biz/products/vision.shtml

How much is the Vison scooter? it seems they only sell it to you direct no dealers and they do not list a price. I am not anxious to call and get on their radar so to speak. thank you.

Price is listed on that web page.

http://www.ultralite.biz/products/340.shtml

MORE then the go go. Just for information, the go go batteries can be removed and charged off the scooter as well.

UltraLite Model 340 Cruzer

Now Only $1,495

PROFILE:

This compact and peppy 4-wheeled scooter is durable, affordable and transportable!

This stylish and compact scooter gives you the stability and comfort of a 4-wheeler with the portability and price of a mini-scooter!

Hi Ruth,

This is a question for you as it seems you have used your scooters for awhile. How often do you need to replace your batteries? I assume they are Deep Cycle AGM or Gel-Cell 12 volt 12 AH batteries? I've been told they rarely last 2 years, is that your experience?:)

Thanks for any help, as I will be cruising in February and certainly don't want my batteries to go dead on me...:eek:

Irisf

The AutoGo Vision is not a cheap investment. You will be talking somewhere in the range of $4100 plus tax. It is made by the same company that makes the Rascal. They do offer financing. They also offer some other models that are less.

I guess that should not surprise me, my current scooter is a chauffer also made by that company I believe and I have had it for about 8 years was around 3200 then. Well not looking to pay that much for a travel model so keep looking I guess, thanks.

Archived