Snowshoeing in Alaska

Frankie Sue

We've been on 5 Alaskan cruises over the years. We have yet to see snow on the ground in the ports. At lower elevations there will be sled dog excursions where the sleds are on wheels, not runners. But I haven't seen anything about snowshoeing. Good luck.

Not to mention, from somebody who grew up in the Pacific Northwest and was once a mountain climber and backpacker, snow shoeing is a lot like work! :eek: Snow shoeing and cross country skiing look neat and cool on TV but in real life they're two of the hardiest things I've ever tried or done.

Both my sister and I are avid snowshoers and have been practicing the sport as well as cross country skiing for many years now; so that would not be a problem. If that was a possibility, we would bring our own snowshoes. But you are all probably quite right in saying that the snow condition during cruising season will not be right. Thanks for your input. We will have to think of something else.

We need to do something a bit more challenging than just sitting on a bus, train or other and sightseeing. Any suggestions? I

Both my sister and I are avid snowshoers and have been practicing the sport as well as cross country skiing for many years now; so that would not be a problem. If that was a possibility, we would bring our own snowshoes. But you are all probably quite right in saying that the snow condition during cruising season will not be right. Thanks for your input. We will have to think of something else.

We need to do something a bit more challenging than just sitting on a bus, train or other and sightseeing. Any suggestions? I

There are a number of day hikes available in Alaska. The visitor information centres in each town have trail maps and current trail conditions.

A couple of hikes from Skagway, for example;

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/shorterdayhikes.htm

More challenging hikes, including trailheads accessed

from the White Pass Railway:

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/longerhikes.htm

Snow will all be hardpack and crampons and an ice axe will be the rule of the day. inless north of denali

You wont get close enough to any glacier to walk in it in less you take a helo-tour.

There will be NO snow in town... or on trails Walkikng on galciers requires special training/experience and roped travel because of crevasses.

Skagway will be snow free alll the way over the pass, same with Ketchican, Juneau.. Sitka

Rain boots might be better... you will be in the banana belt more rain than snow...

There is a glacier walk out of Juneau involves a helo.... about $450 pp

thats the only one I know of

Mount Rainier national park till July might be your ticket if you wnat to showshoe or cross country ski.

Archived