Can passengers jam with Howl @ the moon?

erdoran

My DH is a drummer and it would make our trip extraordinary for him if he had an opportunity to jam with some of the bands. When I did the TA they had some of the other ship entertainers jamming with them--has anyone seen this happen on their cruises? It would mean a lot to DH to have an opportunity to do that - I say as I hear him practicing his drumming now :> And he's a good player, he's no amateur!

And on another note :> the bit about hustling tips is really new. On the TA there was a tip jar but that was it, no hustling, no hinting, no nothing. It might have been because the owner of the franchise was one of the players - at least that's what someone said!

My DH is a drummer and it would make our trip extraordinary for him if he had an opportunity to jam with some of the bands. When I did the TA they had some of the other ship entertainers jamming with them--has anyone seen this happen on their cruises? It would mean a lot to DH to have an opportunity to do that - I say as I hear him practicing his drumming now :> And he's a good player, he's no amateur!

I have a boat at home. Do you think the Captain would let me dock the ship at one of the ports?

NO.

Just go on the cruise and don't try to be part of the crew/entertainment staff.

My husband is a professional musician. I don't think its a widely accepted idea to try to just sit in with someone during their gig. It is surely not a professional kind of move...

My husband and son both play, and we will be cruising, and I don't htink either of them would think of doing that. It is kind of presumptuous. JMHO....

My husband is a professional musician. I don't think its a widely accepted idea to try to just sit in with someone during their gig. It is surely not a professional kind of move...

My husband and son both play, and we will be cruising, and I don't htink either of them would think of doing that. It is kind of presumptuous. JMHO....

Thanks for your comments. I guess what got me thinking was seeing other Epic musicians jamming with Howl, but I'm not sure whether I saw pax jamming. I think I remember them putting out an open invitation once, but am not certain. So probably we'll sit back & observe, unless there's a general open invitation issued :>

My DH is a drummer and it would make our trip extraordinary for him if he had an opportunity to jam with some of the bands. When I did the TA they had some of the other ship entertainers jamming with them--has anyone seen this happen on their cruises?
On a jazz cruise that I do every year, there are often occasions on which the ship's musicians will happily jam either with the headlined jazz musicians (brought on by the cruise organisers, not by NCL) or with talented passengers. So it's definitely possible. But the hurdle will be how to get to know the ship's band well enough, and to be sufficiently well liked by them, to be invited.

When we were on the Pearl a couple of years ago we were walking through the Atrium one evening and the guys playing seemed to be jamming rather than the usual cruise type music. We sat down to listen and the guy on keyboards was something else, kind of like Bill Murry in Ground Hog Day. They finished up and he turned and thanked the guys, went to his wife and they walked off, and we were back to Copacabana. I thought how great it was that things were that comfortable that something like that could happen.

Will Howl At The Moon do that? Who knows. Keep in mind, it's an act rather than one of the "house" bands doing there thing. It would be like asking 2nd City if you could jump in with them. You might have a chance with one of the house bands, or maybe whoever is playing in Fat Cats, they're a little more laid back.

Most of us drummers are pretty laid back guys and it's not like these guys are headlining arenas, they're just working their butts off. I don't think many would be opposed to this level of interaction. I would try to get in touch with whoever is in charge of entertainment on your ship. Maybe even email an mp3 of something your husband has recorded. They might even have charts for something your husband is familiar with and it could be prearranged. Small chance perhaps, but I'd say worth looking into! Cruiselines are all about little extras to keep you coming back!

I'm playing tonight but when I'm on my next cruise in February I'm taking some time off to relax!

Just got off the Epic & after hanging out and meeting the HTm guys donut think it will be a problem although one of the three guys (Rome) was getting off today.

I was on an Alaskan cruise on Princess and there was a passenger that could pack the house every night at the piano The regular piano player would let her play several times a night

Just got off the Epic & after hanging out and meeting the HTm guys donut think it will be a problem although one of the three guys (Rome) was getting off today.

I was on an Alaskan cruise on Princess and there was a passenger that could pack the house every night at the piano The regular piano player would let her play several times a night

Mooguy, would you mind elaborating a bit? My sense from the TA was that it wouldn't be a problem either, but from the responses here it seems like it will be. Any idea how that pax set things up so she could perform? Again, DH is no slouch, he plays for love of music, not $$$, and performs regularly with two different orchestras and various groups, and he knows 60's, 70's, 80's music inside out--went through college on merit scholarship as a music major and has been playing 30+ years! He just auditioned and got accepted on the spot for a local band that's all 50-something guys (like him) doing original music that sounds like a cross between the Doors & Grateful Dead.

And on another note :> the bit about hustling tips is really new. On the TA there was a tip jar but that was it, no hustling, no hinting, no nothing. It might have been because the owner of the franchise was one of the players - at least that's what someone said!

Yes, we were on the Epic in Sept and several musician/passengers "sat in"at Howl at the Moon and also with Slam Alan is was great. Just ask in advance.

Archived