Is HAL gay friendly?

beachluvr65

Well, sorry...maybe things are different north of the border, but every U.S. poll and election result - wheteher on gays in the military, same-sex marriage, or just general attitudes - shows that older demographics are less accepting than younger. Anecdotal evidence aside, it's just a fact.

You forget that you average HAL cruiser may not be your average older person. Each cruise line attracts a ceratin demographic and HAL tends to attract a more educated clientele. It is also a fact that the higher your level of education the more tolerant you are in general.

Well, sorry...maybe things are different north of the border, but every U.S. poll and election result - wheteher on gays in the military, same-sex marriage, or just general attitudes - shows that older demographics are less accepting than younger. Anecdotal evidence aside, it's just a fact.

As Mark Twain once said (and I paraphrase) "travel is fatal to bigotry (and other things)." The more travelled a person is, the less likely he or she is to be bigoted or close-minded. Of course, there are exceptions!:D

You forget that you average HAL cruiser may not be your average older person. Each cruise line attracts a ceratin demographic and HAL tends to attract a more educated clientele. It is also a fact that the higher your level of education the more tolerant you are in general.

IMHO, although perhaps more politically more conservative, folks often become more accepting as we age. Also, older cruisers of the same sex often cruise together as friends, companions, caregivers whatever, so in another way HAL was ahead of the curve by being flexible and unquestioning on same sex cabin sharing and ticketing for years. So don't go too far with the logic that older = homophobicly rude.

We've always been totally welcomed as a couple on our 5 HAL cruises over the past 20 years.

IMHO, although perhaps more politically more conservative, folks often become more accepting as we age. Also, older cruisers of the same sex often cruise together as friends, companions, caregivers whatever, so in another way HAL was ahead of the curve by being flexible and unquestioning on same sex cabin sharing and ticketing for years. So don't go too far with the logic that older = homophobicly rude.

We've always been totally welcomed as a couple on our 5 HAL cruises over the past 20 years.

Hear Hear! You would think that having been sterotyped ourselves for so long we might steer away from doing the same thing to others......

My partner and I cruised on the Oosterdam last month, we walked around holding hands and never received a second glance. I would like to add that although demographics do show that "younger" people are more accepting of not only gay marriage but also gay parenting, the ones that do not approve tend to have a very negative attitude which they have no problem displaying in public. Perhaps the older clientele has mastered the art of manners even though acceptance may be a bit more difficult.

Definately true. One of the reasons for us choosing Cunard. HAL does have a good reputation. We just like that British style that we find on Cunard.

I'm not gay,but on my recent HAL sailing, one of the couples at my table was.

I really enjoyed Norm and JP.

They never mentioned to problems from the staff or other guest on this sailing. When the photo guys were taking pictures on the first formal night, they had to firmly tell them that they wanted the picture as a couple.

We also talked about rude cruisers on other sailings. I told them about on my first solo cruise how one of the tablemates question how I as a black blue collar worker could afford to sail on HAL, they mention problems that came up on other sailings.

I didn't notice no Friends of Dorthy in the daily listing and didn't ask if any informal meetings being held. I've seen them on the daily listing in the past.

I don't think you have a problem on HAL

Here's a photo of Norm and JP

2926292040100919633S500x500Q85.jpg

Nice looking couple!!!!

We really doubt that "RSVP, Atlantis, Olivia all-gay charter companies used HAL extensively" because of their gay friendly demeanour. These are travel bu$ine$$e$... In our experience HAL has been most unfriendly towards FOD's

What we have noticed in the many cruises taken is that Princess has a more open-minded concept, especially where their own gay staff is concerned. They are the least closeted and go that extra mile for those of us who introduce ourselves to them. Little point trying to explain how we recognize each other...

OK, well, rejoining this thread...sometimes it's hard to discern the truth in these situations, so I've been reluctant to pass on this story, but...

On the same HAL cruise where I heard audibly homophobic comments at a show, there were a couple lunches for FOD folks. For the first one, we had a large table in the middle of the MDR. When I went to the second, I had to look around to find the group. Turns out - I was told - that we'd been moved into a corner because of complaints from passengers. Now, we were far from a rowdy group, but like I said, there were some obviously anti-gay pax on board.

Not having been a witness to any of the reported exchange, I can't say for certain that this all happened as reported, and I highly doubt that the behavior of the maitre d' or whomever was official policy. But - FWIW - the whole cruise left kind of a bad taste in my mouth...and not because someone had been eating asparagus. ;)

And as far as the "older person" thing...hey, I'm a senior myself. Yes, it's a total generalization that younger people are less homophobic. And yes, it's true that the more educated (and less religious, for that matter) someone is, the less likely they are to be anti-gay. I'm just not sure that the pax on HAL are any more educated than those on X and Princess. But they sure seemed to be, on average, older.

We really doubt that "RSVP, Atlantis, Olivia all-gay charter companies used HAL extensively" because of their gay friendly demeanour. These are travel bu$ine$$e$...

Do you seriously think the gay charter companies will do business with cruise lines where there can be issues with the staff? That would be plain stupid. I saw an email from the Hotel manager to employees regarding their behavior during the charter - and it was reinforcing their existing diversity training and rules.

Do you seriously think the gay charter companies will do business with cruise lines where there can be issues with the staff? That would be plain stupid. I saw an email from the Hotel manager to employees regarding their behavior during the charter - and it was reinforcing their existing diversity training and rules.

My point is that there are cruise companies that are more gay friendly than HAL has been so market forces do prevail. Perhaps other lines would not find the need to issue reinforced behaviour training when encountering a gay group or charter.

• 2 weeks later...

It's our favorite cruise line - this is one of the top reasons. It's a class or two above the Carnival/NCL/Royal lines in our humble opinion.

We're cruising with a cruising to the Panama Canal on HAL in October with a bear friendly group. Find us on facebook or via our homepage.

Happy cruising in 2011,

Laz & Randy

My husband and I are debating whether to go with HAL or Princess cruise line to Alaska in September. It will be his 50th birthday. We are also taking my mom as her belated birthday present. So I want to go all our for both of them and am thinking of getting the Penthouse Veranda Suite on the Ooesterdam. I was concerned whether HAL was gay friendly so thanks everyone.

;)

• 1 month later...
We love HAL and have over 100 days with them. You will not have a problem!

Bob,

My partner and I are going on a HAL cruise on March 4, 2011. SInce you've been on many HAL cruises-do they have a FOD or anything for us to meet at? We are in our late 40's and would like to try and meet some others.

Thanks in advance!

I have heard nothing but good from people we've met on cruises regarding treatment they've received. Always lots of same sex couples having pictures taken, PDA, arguments over where to have dinner - no different than anyone else. I certainly hope it's true... my son and his partner are booked in the cabin next to us on a cruise next February. My son's partner has quite a bit of cruise experience on NCL and Carnival and is looking for a more mature and quiet group where they can enjoy reading or laying on the deck without party, party, party- so we thought HAL (our favorite) or Celebrity would be good choices for us all to travel together.

If someone gets an odd look from 70 y/o's when you sneak up behind your partner, give them a hug and say "let's go get freaky in our cabin" - it doesn't just happen to gays.....I do it to my husband because it embarrasses the hell out of him and gets me a disgusted look from the woman - but a big smile from her husband.:eek:

• 3 weeks later...
We'll be on Westerdam May 7th with another FOD couple. Are there anyone else travelling with her on this date and have anyone stumble into GLBT thread for this itinenary, many thanks?

Didn't see it on the roll call but you could perhaps start one there?

Didn't see it on the roll call but you could perhaps start one there?

Thanks soldham, I might look into starting a new thread on the GLBT forum and I'm currently posting messages on the HAL forum...does not looks like there's a great deal of participants on HAL thread with CC vs RCI?

Archived