Is HAL gay friendly?

beachluvr65

OMG... LOL. This subject always makes me laugh. Please.... no offense to the OP, but am I the only one that chuckles at the "is this cruise line gay friendly" question?? It just starts this endless back and forth and ALWAYS includes the inevitable story of the now infamous CD's joke that someone found so offensive. Please, can we get over that??

To the OP... look, perhaps others will disagree, but here's what we've discovered...... THey are all gay friendly. Why? Because they are $$$$ friendly, which makes them friendly to just about anyone that has $$$$. They're Christian, jewish, mormon and muslim friendly, swinger friendly, gay friendly, family friendly, senior friendly, black brown and white and rainbow friendly.

The key is to not sweat about who is more or even most gay friendly, but rather which line, which ship, and which itinerary is most conducive to your particular interests and lifestyle. Because the experience you have with any line will vary greatly from ship to ship, itinerary to itinerary, and even from the port of departure. More so than line to line. Because each ship takes on the feel of the passengers on board. For example, a ship leaving New York on a 10 day cruise will have a very different crowd and feel than a ship out of Jacksonville on a 4 day. But it doesn't mean the cruise line is pro this, or anti that. Granted I've only been on 4 cruise lines and some are better than others, but in those 4, I can't name one that is not friendly to gays or any other particular group of people for that matter.

I know you'll have a great time on HAL, we did and would sail again in a heartbeat :)

OMG... LOL. This subject always makes me laugh. Please.... no offense to the OP, but am I the only one that chuckles at the "is this cruise line gay friendly" question?? It just starts this endless back and forth and ALWAYS includes the inevitable story of the now infamous CD's joke that someone found so offensive. Please, can we get over that??

To the OP... look, perhaps others will disagree, but here's what we've discovered...... THey are all gay friendly. Why? Because they are $$$$ friendly, which makes them friendly to just about anyone that has $$$$. They're Christian, jewish, mormon and muslim friendly, swinger friendly, gay friendly, family friendly, senior friendly, black brown and white and rainbow friendly.

The key is to not sweat about who is more or even most gay friendly, but rather which line, which ship, and which itinerary is most conducive to your particular interests and lifestyle. Because the experience you have with any line will vary greatly from ship to ship, itinerary to itinerary, and even from the port of departure. More so than line to line. Because each ship takes on the feel of the passengers on board. For example, a ship leaving New York on a 10 day cruise will have a very different crowd and feel than a ship out of Jacksonville on a 4 day. But it doesn't mean the cruise line is pro this, or anti that. Granted I've only been on 4 cruise lines and some are better than others, but in those 4, I can't name one that is not friendly to gays or any other particular group of people for that matter.

I know you'll have a great time on HAL, we did and would sail again in a heartbeat :)

I tend to agree with you, and feel most people are sufficiently well mannered not to be rude or unfriendly, even if they are still a little bit uncomfortable with gay culture as such, whatever the cruise line.

I also tend to feel that way too much is read into the whether FOD or LGBT meetings are arranged or not.

If you really need a meeting to know 'who is' and 'who isnt', and who you want to say hello to, then what gives?

Most 'meetings' we've ever gone along to have been neglected and often deserted, perhaps the best organised ones being on Diamond Princess, where some of the 'gay' entertainment staff were there to make the introductions and give a lift to the procedings .

I ventured into reading this thread, just to get a 'flavour' as I shall be doing my first HAL cruise on Prinsendam with another gay mate (not with my partner) this September. From most of the comments read, we are both really looking forward to it.

My thanks to all!

Peter.

Straight person chiming in here, burt I wanted to let you know that when I sailed on the Eurodam last month there was a posted LGBT meeting (or gathering or get-together -- whatever you want to call it) every day. Want to know what there was for straight singles and solos? One singles and solos lunch (which wasn't even hosted by any staff) in the dining room on the first sea day, and that's it. So I would say that Holland America itself is pretty gay-friendly.

One thing to consider, though, is that the dining staff and room stewards on Holland America are Muslims from Indonesia. While they do undergo extensive training at Holland America's facility in Indonesia, you might occasionally witness instances of ignorance due to cultural and religious differences. I'm not excusing intolerance, but just a caveat as to an issue that could arise.

One thing to consider, though, is that the dining staff and room stewards on Holland America are Muslims from Indonesia. While they do undergo extensive training at Holland America's facility in Indonesia, you might occasionally witness instances of ignorance due to cultural and religious differences. I'm not excusing intolerance, but just a caveat as to an issue that could arise.

While that is probably a true statement, I have yet to see any staff treat us differently which has always been a good thing. To date, our service from the cabin steward and the DR staff have ranged from good to exceptional.

Agreed with the poster who says its the same on all lines - you pick a line for ambiance, food, entertainment, value for $ - overall. There are unfortunate incidents here and there on all of them but I don't feel that these incidents are necessarily indicative of the line's attitudes towards a demographic group.

Anyway, off on a HAL transatlantic crossing this summer and looking forward to it.

Been sailing with HAL for more years than I will admit. (Sailed transatlantic as a kid on the pre-war Nieuw Amsterdam in the early 70's, and many, many more since then.) We have never encountered any discrimination or rudeness from any HAL crew or staff member. Over the years, as HAL's passengers have become more traveled, understanding, diverse and enlightened, the atmosphere on board has been as welcoming as on any multi-national cruise line. We're booked for two HAL cruises in 2011; transatlantic on Rotterdam in May and South Pacific from Sydney on Zaandam in December and very much look forward to both sailings.

do they have a FOD or anything for us to meet at?

It seems to vary by ship based on the responses here. On my Alaska cruise on the Rotterdam last May there were LGBT meetings scheduled every day at 5pm. One day one of the entertainers showed up, but other than that, it was just passengers.

I just did a cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. No problems with staff or other passengers. Only one LGBT meeting posted (on the second night) but we met enough folks that we would gather informally in different places.

Wondered about how the mostly Muslim crew dealt with this but frankly, also wondered if some of the Muslim crew wasn't family too.

Overall my best cruising experiences have been on HAL.

• 3 months later...
Partner and I are booked on HAL for a Baltic cruise. Does anyone know if HAL is gay friendly?

Rick

You're one Rotterdam sailing to late Rick... I will be hosting a large (straight-) group on the August 2nd Baltic sailing, and would love to have some likeminded guys around. And FYI, also during your cruise there will be co-workers of mine dressed up in pink shirts every day, but don't assume those ladies as being gay, pink shirts are our corporate identity this year.

And for Allure, you're two weeks ahead of me, so please let me know where the hotspots are... I didn't find them on Oasis last year.

Leo

Leo

Not sure im the one to scope out the hot spots as I tend to rise early everyday for work and set early as well.

I love to read and so does hubby, so I will be at the pool while he is shaded (I love the sun, in moderation of course, but he is a vampire on a day pass so he will be lounging in the covered section around the pool (we can always find him a spot close enough to my sunny spot that we can still be close....

anyway, if I do find an evening spot, I will be sure to let you know.

My partner and I love HAL. (3 Star Mariner, now) We were on a little over a month ago and it's the first time I noticed on HAL (or any line, for that matter) that in the program it didn't list a "FOD" get together. It listed a "GLBT" get together. (and there was one listed for everyday of the cruise)

4-star Mariners with over 500 cruising days on HAL since 1973. Just returned from Rotterdam Transatlantic May 17 thru June 2. Cruise Director very GLBT friendly. GLBT cocktail hour listed in the program every day. First couple of days in the Crows Nest until the seas became too uncooperative to hold it that high up and forward on the ship. Moved to the Martini Bar (no windows) for most of mid-cruise and then to a corner of the Ocean Bar (big windows) for the rest of the crossing. Scheduled for 4-5pm to take advantage of HAL's 2-for-1 happy hour. Great bartenders and waiters who always announced "last call happy hour" at 4:55pm! The cruise director stopped by a couple of times to make sure all was going well. Usually 5-6 couples and a couple of guys traveling solo. Never any more than 10 couples. Ages 40's-70's which was consistent with the rest of the passengers on this crossing. Saw most guys around the ship, in port and on excursions. The Crows Nest became a defacto gay bar most evenings after about 11:30pm-closing. HAL has a second, late evening 2-for-1 happy hour from 11pm-midnight which kept the Crows Nest lively. Guys danced with guys, girls danced with girls, the cruise director danced with everybody and the DJ played everyone's requests from classic Donna Summer and Gloria Gaynor disco to Beyonce and Gaga. Nobody seemed to care who danced with who and a good time was had by all.

4-star Mariners with over 500 cruising days on HAL since 1973. Just returned from Rotterdam Transatlantic May 17 thru June 2. Cruise Director very GLBT friendly. GLBT cocktail hour listed in the program every day. First couple of days in the Crows Nest until the seas became too uncooperative to hold it that high up and forward on the ship. Moved to the Martini Bar (no windows) for most of mid-cruise and then to a corner of the Ocean Bar (big windows) for the rest of the crossing. Scheduled for 4-5pm to take advantage of HAL's 2-for-1 happy hour. Great bartenders and waiters who always announced "last call happy hour" at 4:55pm! The cruise director stopped by a couple of times to make sure all was going well. Usually 5-6 couples and a couple of guys traveling solo. Never any more than 10 couples. Ages 40's-70's which was consistent with the rest of the passengers on this crossing. Saw most guys around the ship, in port and on excursions. The Crows Nest became a defacto gay bar most evenings after about 11:30pm-closing. HAL has a second, late evening 2-for-1 happy hour from 11pm-midnight which kept the Crows Nest lively. Guys danced with guys, girls danced with girls, the cruise director danced with everybody and the DJ played everyone's requests from classic Donna Summer and Gloria Gaynor disco to Beyonce and Gaga. Nobody seemed to care who danced with who and a good time was had by all.

This sounds fantastic. I hope it's like this on the Eurodam when my partner and I sail with my parents this fall to Canada. I can see us taking advantage of the late night happy hour!!! :rolleyes:

HAL is one of the largest financial supporters of the Seattle Men's and Women's Choruses ... some of the largest and better known gay and lesbian choruses in the US ... My partner and I have sailed quite comfortably on them several times with no questions, smirks or raised eyebrows.... even when they had inadvertently made up our room with 2 twin beds instead of a King... they reshuffled in a flash with apologies all around... Have a great cruise!!!

I work in hospitality. My CEO and his partner love sailing on HAL primarily. They have never witnessed any weirdness, but have always found affirming passengers and staff on their cruises. Additionally, my boss is 70!

Hey, to the gross generalizations out there that it's all about the senior / older crowd, watch it. Spreading judgment and hatred is exactly what I thought we wanted to end. Sheez...

We have two kids, our son is 22 and daughter 21. They went to different schools and both kids are unique and different. Neither one had any issue with having 2-dads growing up. They were proud of us, AND both kids have shared with us that being gay is so much a non-issue these days. We are bringing in a new generation of acceptance and tolerance. Unfortunately, there will always be those who believe their religion, sexual orientation, education, neighborhood, bank account, jobs, et. al are "better" than the next persons.

Some will, some wont, so what. Enjoy your cruise and if a ship employee offends you, report them. If a passenger offends you, take the high road. Be the change you want to see in the world.

HAL is a wonderful cruise line. They are very gay friendly as well as a polished premium line. The staff is always very helpful and the service is top notch. HAL will always be special to me because it was my first cruise and we went to Alaska. Which was very romantic ;)

Daniel

We really doubt that "RSVP, Atlantis, Olivia all-gay charter companies used HAL extensively" because of their gay friendly demeanour. These are travel bu$ine$$e$... In our experience HAL has been most unfriendly towards FOD's

What we have noticed in the many cruises taken is that Princess has a more open-minded concept, especially where their own gay staff is concerned. They are the least closeted and go that extra mile for those of us who introduce ourselves to them. Little point trying to explain how we recognize each other...

Truth is that RSVP has been using HAL for MANY years, and for a reason: HAL loves RSVP !

RSVP has polled their repeat customers (upwards of 75% each cruise) and the No 1 request is to stay with HAL even if the prices need to be higher.

And, having never done so before hand, now that Atlantis owns RSVP, and seeing the working relationship, Atlantis has now started using HAL for repeat business as well.

This amount of Gay $$$$ is NOT spent for bargain shopping.

Truth is that HAL crew (from Captains on down) BID to be ON a RSVP cruise. I have talked to them personally and know this to be true.

They, top to bottom, WANT to be with us.

And, if you had ever been on one, you would witness first-hand just how much they participate in the special ambiance and contribute to it.

I have heard a Captain say that he used his seniority to bump another Captain off his schedule to take over for his 4th RSVP cruise. I repeat, a Captain of the Line !

These are the SAME officers and crew that are on every HAL sailing

And, as a comparison, RSVP used Princess once and once only. The reason being the unfriendliness of the Princess Crew (though they had been specifically re-educated previously).

Princess was (supposedly) going all out to try and pry RSVP away from HAL (both being owned by Carnival), yet I was personally witness to the "attitude" and quotes from the crew. They were very homophobic.

End result with RSVP & Princess = never again !

We will NEVER travel on this line again!!!

VERY strong statement to be just left hanging, with NO reasoning and/or justification !

For all we know HAL just might be in agreement.

Just because a cruise line does Gay cruises does NOT guarantee that

the passengers/demographics on the regular cruises are going to be

Gay friendly.

But you would judge a line for the ignorance/behavior of the passengers ?

If you are cultured enough to cruise and savvy enough to post here, shouldn't we presume more logical thinking ??

Well, sorry...maybe things are different north of the border, but every U.S. poll and election result - wheteher on gays in the military, same-sex marriage, or just general attitudes - shows that older demographics are less accepting than younger. Anecdotal evidence aside, it's just a fact.

So, unless you are a qualified statistician, your opinion outweighs evidence why?

As has been stated by those with direct experience, outside of certain bigoted/geographical demographics (who DON'T tend to cruise), aging (which entails wisdom) tends to lessen prejudices and mellow judgement.

Add to that the generally more travelled passenger on HAL (highest repeat % of all mass-market lines), and you end up with a predictably more accepting assortment.

we are in agreement....{{with shepp, above}}

**HINT** acceptance is a TWO-WAY street.

Actually, among non-gays, the over 70 set are among the MOST accepting at sea or on land (present company excluded).

As "anecdotal" backup, I live in a (straight) retirement community, where the gays are admired and sought after. The older the resident, the more so.

r.

• 2 weeks later...

AMEN Brother!!!

We have over 150 days on HAL and love it.

• 2 months later...

Greetings all - we are an interracial gay male couple so there really is no missing us onboard or that fact that we are together. We were married in DC and sailed Princess out of SF for our honeymoon and received the same congratulations and recognition by both crew and fellow cruisers as anyone else. Since then, we have sailed HAL twice (Westerdam and Veendam) and found we prefer HAL to Princess - mostly ship decor and layout - and are looking forward to our third HAL Jan 7 2012 on Eurodam.

Our first sail on HAL, (southern Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale) the comedian was doing marriage jokes as part of her routine and we responded from the audience as newlyweds - and clearly as two guys. The comic dove into it with us being married, asked some questions (where is it legal, where is it not, etc) so we go to do a little educating of the crowd - and rec'd a wonderful round of applause at the end of the exchange. So don't count the "older" folks of HAL out just yet. I agree its a matter of eduction.

Willem, if you are reading this I "friended" you as we are fellow Balti-morons...

Archived