Bayou Cafe favorite dishes?

Infi

I'm considering trying the Bayou Cafe on our Island cruise next week. I've read the menu and some of the dishes seem interesting, but I'm not really used to Cajun/NO cuisine. Is it still worth a visit? Does anyone have any recommendations or favorite dishes in the Bayou Cafe?

I'm considering trying the Bayou Cafe on our Island cruise next week. I've read the menu and some of the dishes seem interesting, but I'm not really used to Cajun/NO cuisine. Is it still worth a visit? Does anyone have any recommendations or favorite dishes in the Bayou Cafe?

Funny you should ask. ;) We were on the Coral twice last year; 25 days and 15 days respectively. Both times we looked at the menu. Then looked again. Several times. Bottom line: Nope. Not for us. Nor for our travelling companions either.

Food is very subject. However, how can someone comment yes or no if they have not tasted/tried it. In reality, they who have not tried it should have just read the posting and moved on.

Yes, we tried it on the Coral and Island and it was very good. It is not overly spicy or that much different. That is like saying that Outback puts too much seasoning on their steaks. Ok, just tell the waiter to not put the seasoning on the steak.

For $15.00/person and the various sections, go for it. You won't know until YOU try it. Have 10 people sample the same dish and you can get 10 different answers.

We ate at the Bayou Cafe on our Alaskan Cruise in August. We felt it was worth the $15 cost. Loved the cheese biscuits - we had seconds and thirds! We were served a sample of all four appetizers. We could easily leave the gator ribs and oysters are not my wife's choice. Ask for just what you want. Bisque and salad were both good. Main courses are slight modified versions of the other Princess Steakhouse fare and were not highly spiced. Both the bread pudding and chocolate pecan fudge cake were good.

We enjoyed the ambiance. Had a window table and saw dolphins swim past the ship. Unfortunately it will probably be dark most days when you dine on your cruise. The is also a small dance floor with a 3-4 piece band that starts playing at 7:30 p.m. Make a reservation after that time and enjoy live music and watch some dancers while you dine.

We enjoyed the ambiance. Had a window table and saw dolphins swim past the ship. Unfortunately it will probably be dark most days when you dine on your cruise. The is also a small dance floor with a 3-4 piece band that starts playing at 7:30 p.m. Make a reservation after that time and enjoy live music and watch some dancers while you dine.

Bayou Cafe is probably our least favorite of the steakhouse incarnations food-wise but have to agree with IECalCruiser about the ambiance. On our Panama Canal cruise it became our pre-dinner stop to enjoy a cocktail and a great jazz trio.

Thanks all for the replies, especially IECalCruiser for suggesting specific dishes. I was concerned the food would be spicy, but it sounds like it's not bad at all. I have to admit, part of the reason I am tempted to try the Bayou is because it's only available on two ships, so it's different than Sabatini's.

If anyone else has any other recommendations, please post them!

My wife and I have been on Island only once before on Alaska cruise about 2005. We met a couple and later in the cruise they told us they ate at Bayou Cafe every night since it so great. So we tried it and felt it was well worth the cover charge. For main course, we had the filet mignon. It was fabulous. We are back on Island again next week and part of the reason is we are tired of Sabatini on the other Princess ships, we wanted to go back to Bayou cafe again. I'll try to post next week to tell if its still as good as I recall.

I've been to the Bayou Cafe twice, once on the Island Princess, once on the Coral Princess. Both times were great. I had Jambalaya the first time and it was very good, not overly spicy at all. The second time, I had the Ribeye and it was fantastic. As others have said, the ambiance is excellent and it's great to have a meal with live music.

Our experience with the Bayou Cafe has always been very favorable. I do not care for spicy food at all and was a bit hesitant at first when looking at the menu.

I picked "less spicy" items and found the filet wonderful as an entree. Jumbo Prawns were great also. Buttermilk Bread Pudding w/Pistachio Caramel Sauce was excellent. DH is a little more daring than I am.

The ambiance is very nice and a relaxing experience all around! Enjoy!

Archived