Questions about Skagway, Ketchikan, and Juneau

SF

Is it possible to hire a taxi in all these places for a private tour like we do while in the Caribbean? We would like to see certain attractions in each location and thought it would be better to hire a taxi for several hours.

I do not recommend it. You are far better off, researching what is of interest to you and booking a specific tour. If you want something guided- then I would be CERTAIN to arrange this all ahead of time and don't just take the chance of finding someone at the dock.

;)

Is it possible to hire a taxi in all these places for a private tour like we do while in the Caribbean? We would like to see certain attractions in each location and thought it would be better to hire a taxi for several hours.

You don't need a cab to tour these towns esp. Skagway where the rangers offer guided walking tours. In Ketchikan you can get tours easily at the tourist office on the dock -- some in vans etc. Depends what your interests are. I would visit http://www.visit-ketchikan.com and try to find someone ahead of time ... perhaps the Ketchikan "duck" tour? You are missing a lot in these ports by limiting yourself to cab tours also. I'd definitely consider whale watching/glacier flightseeing in Juneau, the White Pass or renting a car to the Yukon in Skagway etc... or perhaps your "cab tour" would be supplementing that?

I wouldn't recommend trying to find a taxi. Skagway and Ketchikan are really small towns and you can easily walk around the town to see things or take one of the town tours. If you want to see things out of the town proper I'd recommend a tour. In Skagway you can rent a car and drive into the Yukon for an interesting day of sightseeing. I don't know about Juneau because we didn't make it there on our first Alaska cruise.

Archived