Newbie- Carnival Triumph and general questions

LakeGoddess

I am planning to take my daughter on a cruise for her 21st birthday. We've chosen Carnival Triumph going out of New Orleans on March 19 (her spring break).

Cabin- we do want a balcony. Are the aft balcony cabins a good choice on this ship? I've read some concerns about soot, obstructed views, noise, vibration, inconvenience, etc but have also read where others really like them.

How about which deck? Is there a 'best' place to be?

Side of ship?

Dining- I'm not sure if I want to have to stick to a scheduled time. For a first timer, is it best to go with one of the seatings or a choose your own time? If choosing, do you still eat in the main dining room? Does it require long waits?

Excursions- I've never been to Cozumel or Progresso (and this is first cruise) so I am thinking of booking excursions through Carnival. Even if they cost a bit more, I think I would be more comfortable. Good idea?

Arrival/departure time- If the ship leaves at 4, what time should we plan to get there?

Thanks for helping this 1st time cruiser!

(Oh, and, yeah, my count down timer is wrong!)

I am planning to take my daughter on a cruise for her 21st birthday. We've chosen Carnival Triumph going out of New Orleans on March 19 (her spring break). You and a bunch of other people are likely to be on this cruise..all young people, celebrating Spring Break. Have a great cruise!

Cabin- we do want a balcony. Are the aft balcony cabins a good choice on this ship? I've read some concerns about soot, obstructed views, noise, vibration, inconvenience, etc but have also read where others really like them.

How about which deck? Is there a 'best' place to be? Well, the BEST place to be is on the ship! :p The lower and more mid-ship you are the less movement you might feel, if seasickness is an issue. We like to be high up, ourselves.. You should look at the deck plans, though and make sure there isn't something below or above you that will make a racket at awkward times ... like a bar that will be open late or into the early morning; or right below the buffet area where they'll be dragging chairs around when they're cleaning up; or across from the laundry, or...

Side of ship?

Dining- I'm not sure if I want to have to stick to a scheduled time. For a first timer, is it best to go with one of the seatings or a choose your own time? If choosing, do you still eat in the main dining room? Does it require long waits?

We always choose anytime dining when it's available. We've never had to wait more than 5 minutes or so .. much like what happens in a land-based restaurant. And it gives you much more flexibility for dining -- if you or your daughter meet up with folks you want to eat dinner with, you can all go toether, for example (assuming they also have flex dining).

Excursions- I've never been to Cozumel or Progresso (and this is first cruise) so I am thinking of booking excursions through Carnival. Even if they cost a bit more, I think I would be more comfortable. Good idea? It depends entirely on how comfortable you are travelling independently. If you sign up for your roll call here on this site, you'll find other people on that same cruise, and you'll get a sense of what kinds of expeditions they're booking, and how..and maybe can "team up" with them, saving yourself the worry and some money. I've never been to the Caribbean, so can't help specifically here.

Arrival/departure time- If the ship leaves at 4, what time should we plan to get there? The absolutely latest time you should get there is 2:30, or 90 minutes before the ship is to set sail! But most people start showing up at the dock around 10:30 or 11 and are on board by noon, having lunch, exploring the ship, starting their vacation early! You're paying for that first day..may was well enjoy it! (I'm assuming here you're talking about the first day of your cruise...)

Thanks for helping this 1st time cruiser!

(Oh, and, yeah, my count down timer is wrong!)

I hope you have a lovely time!

We enjoy having others to talk to at dinner...it's simply more fun!, so we always choose a traditional seating time. Most folks who do the "your time" thing want to be alone.

As far as which deck...look at the deck plans and try to book a deck closest to where you imagine you'll spend most of your daytime hours...it will make life so much easier if you can run back and forth to the cabin without needing an elevator!

30 mins. is the required time to be back ON the ship at ports. For you ititial departure, you'll want to board ASAP...boarding day IS day 1 and you've paid for it...use the ship!

Archived