POA Review 11-13 to 11-20

vc562894

I just read the last two installments of your blog and also enjoyed them very much. I can't wait to read all about Kauai now!

I do have a couple of questions for you - How did you contact Marylou's Tours in Kona? We are planning on a rental car in Kona, but it looks like you were able to get more in during the day than we would be able to do on our own.

Also, did you snorkel at the Place of Refuge - and if so, how did you like it? How long did you have to snorkel? I saw your pictures from that stop but was not sure if that is where you did your snorkeling.

As I said we currently have a car rented, but are always looking for better options, if they are available. Our plans are to get our rental car form the King Kam hotel and then head down to the Place of Refuge to see that and snorkel. After we snorkel we plan to eat a picnic lunch and then head back towards the ship, stopping at a coffee plantation for a tour and the Painted Church along the way.

I, too, am enjoying your review. My DH and I spent 3 weeks in Hawaii for our honeymoon 30 years ago. We are finally returning this next March and are planning to do very little sightseeing...we literally did it all 30 years ago. This time, rest, relax, and lots of local flavors (food and beverages). My one question is about the iron and ironing board you mention...did not know this was an option to request in the cabin. Is there a fee? I assume they remove it and you have to requests it again when needed? Thanks, and congrats on your nuptials. Julie

Julie- If I went again you new plan sounds fabulous!! Ha... To get the iron and ironing board, you simply call the front desk... tell them your room # and they deliver the iron and board quickly. We did it every night. You are given a 2hour window to use the iron... then you are supposed to place the iron and board in the hallway for them to pick up. It was great

I just read the last two installments of your blog and also enjoyed them very much. I can't wait to read all about Kauai now!

I do have a couple of questions for you - How did you contact Marylou's Tours in Kona? We are planning on a rental car in Kona, but it looks like you were able to get more in during the day than we would be able to do on our own.

Also, did you snorkel at the Place of Refuge - and if so, how did you like it? How long did you have to snorkel? I saw your pictures from that stop but was not sure if that is where you did your snorkeling.

As I said we currently have a car rented, but are always looking for better options, if they are available. Our plans are to get our rental car form the King Kam hotel and then head down to the Place of Refuge to see that and snorkel. After we snorkel we plan to eat a picnic lunch and then head back towards the ship, stopping at a coffee plantation for a tour and the Painted Church along the way.

I emailed Marylou before we went on our cruise. If you want to contact them email Ken, the husband, his email is kensmet@hotmail.com. Marylou toured us all around, we saw a ton without a worry of being late for the boat. We did NOT snorkel at Place of Refuge. I did not see anyone snorkeling there. But it might of just been not where we were. We snorkeled closer to the port.

I emailed Marylou before we went on our cruise. If you want to contact them email Ken, the husband, his email is kensmet@hotmail.com. Marylou toured us all around, we saw a ton without a worry of being late for the boat. We did NOT snorkel at Place of Refuge. I did not see anyone snorkeling there. But it might of just been not where we were. We snorkeled closer to the port.

Thanks, good to know. How long did you have to snorkel?

I have just finished reading your blog entries, happy you arrived home safely. Thank you so much for writing it and for all the wonderful pictures.

So sorry your trip to Waimea Canyon was rained/clouded out! I will be dissappointed if that happens to us too! Can't pick the weather we would like can we?

I am also interested in Marylou's tour in Kona - I have had a look at their website and would like to know how much input you were able to have for the tour? Could you choose where you wanted to go or was it a set itinerary for the day? Could you have snorkelled at Place of Refuge if you had wanted too on the tour?

I have just finished reading your blog entries, happy you arrived home safely. Thank you so much for writing it and for all the wonderful pictures.

So sorry your trip to Waimea Canyon was rained/clouded out! I will be dissappointed if that happens to us too! Can't pick the weather we would like can we?

I am also interested in Marylou's tour in Kona - I have had a look at their website and would like to know how much input you were able to have for the tour? Could you choose where you wanted to go or was it a set itinerary for the day? Could you have snorkelled at Place of Refuge if you had wanted too on the tour?

Yes our trip to Waimea Canyon was a huge bummer yet because of the crappy weather Day 1 we had AMAZING weather day 2 and it all worked out great. We were able to see the canyon from in the air which was just breathtaking.

Marylou asked us what we wanted to do. We all kind of said "whatever you know best.." She did ask when we wanted to snorkel, earlier or later in the day. We choose later. As soon as we got in the vehicle, she informed us if there was anything that we wanted to see to tell her, if there was ever a point when she was driving and we wanted to get out, just to tell her! She was very open for ideas... plus with only 6 of us in the van it was great!

Marylou did not mention snorkeling at the Place of Refuge. I am not sure if you are allowed, I would email her and ask. We snorkeled at Kahalu'u Bay. We snorkeled for about 1 hour... she gave us as long as we wanted! One hour was plenty.

One hour...

Just noticed you were from AZ.... our other 4 fellow travelers on our Kona tour were from AZ too!

If you hear from them let them know we have a very active AZ Cruiser's Group on the Cruise Critic boards!

BTW, while you cannot snorkel right at the place of Refuge you are allowed to do so right next door - I understand you can just walk right over to it. We have been told it is about the best available on the island. It is our first planned stop that day, with touring afterwards.:cool:

Thank you so much for your wonderful trip report. I have learned so much from it and am getting excited for our trip with our family in May. You seemed to navigate around the islands quite easily, making changes as needed . Can you elaborate a little on what you used the most to get around the islands, maps (if so which ones), GPS, guide books, your own notes from cruise critic with locations, etc? thanks again!

Thank you so much for your wonderful trip report. I have learned so much from it and am getting excited for our trip with our family in May. You seemed to navigate around the islands quite easily, making changes as needed . Can you elaborate a little on what you used the most to get around the islands, maps (if so which ones), GPS, guide books, your own notes from cruise critic with locations, etc? thanks again!

Our GPS from home was our best friend during this entire vacation. We have a basic Tom-Tom GPS and it worked wonderful. I also had an entire Hawaii folder with a day by day itinerary, with phone numbers and addresses for easy access. We also had the Revealed Booked for the different islands which provided for valuable reading material on the flight as well as during our driving times. Maps, I was not great with. They were confusing to me so I just left it up to modern technology aka GPS.

Archived