High priority re: Passports!!!

Don't let this happen to you:

I've just received our final documents from our Travel Agent before cruising and it's only 20 days left before sailing....when I read the following:

Please note:

book or other identification documents

(see below).

• Guests who do not possess the proper documentation

may be prevented from boarding their flight or ship or

from entering a country and may be subject to fines. No

refunds will be given to individuals who fail to bring the

proper documentation.

I decided to check our Passports as I suddenly realized that my husband does not go by his birth name, rather a short variation of it. Sure enough the name on his Passport and the name on his Flight ticket and Cruise documents did not match.

When I called our travel agent, she said that it was a problem and would have to be corrected, and that it was a rather complicated matter especially with the flight information, and could cost us a penalty fee.

After contacting the airline, she called later in the day to say that it would take 72 hours for the flight information to be adjusted, and I also have to re-register with the Cruise Line, and print out a new SetSail Pass form.

I do not like to think about the consequences if this hadn't been discovered in time, and with the holiday season upon us the delays may have been even longer!

I'd be interested to hear from anyone if this has happened to you?

Helga

The name on your cruise line or air line reservation (if

applicable) must match the name on your valid passport

I go by a different spelling of my first name than the legal version. I booked our air in my legal spelling and told the agent that the spelling on the credit card was different than the legal spelling , no problem she said. I printed my air info and she spelt my name with the wrong version after I was clear on how to spell it. I called to correct and they didn't want to fix it, said it was no problem if the spelling is different. I think about 2-3 weeks later it was announced on the news that names need to match Id to travel documents so I again had to call and force the airline to fix it. It was widely publicised about the changes and the new requirements 2 months ago. I always make my cruise ticket match my passport that way no issues when traveling.

I'm just thankful that the problem has been taken care of in time.

I see that you will be sailing on the Oasis! I saw a program on TV a while ago about the maiden voyage of the Oasis. That's an amazing ship and I imagine it will be quite the luxurious cruise!

Happy Sailing!

Helga

I didn't have this happen to me but I almost did. We went on our last cruise a few months after our wedding and I hadn't had a chance to change the last name on my passport. So, the cruise was booked under my maiden name and I took my passport along with marriage certificate to prove the name change. I asked the travel agent to make my flight reservation under my married name so that I could use my drivers license as my id. Fortunately, the agent knew better and advised me that everything had to match. So, I flew under my maiden name and used my passport as id for the flight. Thank you for bringing up this valid point that travellers should definitely be aware of! So glad you caught it in time for your trip.

This is easy to overlook by most people since they may use a different name through life but they don't realize that they have to use their legal name for official traveling documents. My partner during normal day to day activities uses his "American" name instead of his legal first name, but when booking airline tickets, cruises etc., we make sure that we use his legal first name so it is on the document correctly.

Good Luck resolving this matter, I have heard of people being prevented from boarding because the document names didn't match.

My son had this problem in July. His named was misspelled on the airline ticket. He spent hours on the phone and was told it would be up to tsa to decide if he could board the flight. He went to the airport 4 hours early just to make sure they would let him on. He said security didn't even question him. It was pretty obvious that the name was just misspelled. i guess it just depends on who you get at the gate.

We are frequent fliers, and wish we had the opportunity to cruise more often.

When flying, our airline tickets are usually "First Name / Last Name" ... however, on the airline website (we fly this airline very frequently), we've added to our profile our "FULL" name (First / Middle / Last) as well as our passport info ( we use our passport as our primary identification). As such -- even though our tickets are issued without our middle names, we've not run into a problem with either the TSA or DHS.

We spoke with RCL a couple of weeks ago -- we'll be cruising on the Freedom next year -- and was told that their system is almost identical in nature ... that is why during the online checkin process the RCL system asks for a "Full" name, which will match the primary citizenship ID that you present at the Embarkation Pier ...

Michael and Silke

My son's last name is VERY LOng as he has my maiden name and his dad's as well The result is it does NOT fit most other documents ..they either print only the first ..mine or mine and an abbreviated version of my hubby's

In Canada my legal name is my single name ..never my married name I use it socially but I exist here legally as a single person ...I gave my kids both because I never wanted to be asked If they were mine

What is strange when we cross the border US agents will invariably ask hubby and I how we know each other???

It gets confusing !!!

I've just received our final documents from our Travel Agent before cruising and it's only 20 days left before sailing....when I read the following:

Please note:

(see below).

proper documentation.

I decided to check our Passports as I suddenly realized that my husband does not go by his birth name, rather a short variation of it. Sure enough the name on his Passport and the name on his Flight ticket and Cruise documents did not match.

When I called our travel agent, she said that it was a problem and would have to be corrected, and that it was a rather complicated matter especially with the flight information, and could cost us a penalty fee.

After contacting the airline, she called later in the day to say that it would take 72 hours for the flight information to be adjusted, and I also have to re-register with the Cruise Line, and print out a new SetSail Pass form.

I do not like to think about the consequences if this hadn't been discovered in time, and with the holiday season upon us the delays may have been even longer!

Helga

So glad you caught this "in time". We are very much looking forward to meeting up with you on the EXPLORER in just a few short weeks!

Deborah

Does anyone know if you will have a problem if your passport/id lists your middle name or middle initial but your airline/cruise docs only have first and last???

You will do an online checkin, at which point you will add your middle name. RCI systems ONLY take first/last (some folks insist on adding their middle name, which inevitably causes problems with the online checkin). Just make SURE your first name and last name are IDENTICAL on your cruise docs, flights and passport. No variation. Then, add the middle name when you checkin online.

As for folks that do not realize it needs to be the same...how does this happen? I don't mean to sound rude but 1. how do you not know the name on your travel documents? It is YOUR name and 2. why, in this day and age, would you think it is appropriate to use a different name on your cruise reservation (or air) even if it is a "nickname?" Use a little common sense, folks.

This problem is not only with the travel industry.

My sister send money with Western Union from Europe for my birthday.

My first name was misspelt a S instead of a Z.

The bank made me call Europe to have it changed.

I bank with them for over 25 years and the tellers know me very wel.

After I got mad and told them to close all my accounts they paid me.

My name is easy like a famous queen but spelled in Europe with S or Z.

You will do an online checkin, at which point you will add your middle name. RCI systems ONLY take first/last (some folks insist on adding their middle name, which inevitably causes problems with the online checkin). Just make SURE your first name and last name are IDENTICAL on your cruise docs, flights and passport. No variation. Then, add the middle name when you checkin online.

I just changed my online checkin to include middle name. Thanks!:)

Last year we had airline tickets re-issued due to a flight cancellation .When the boarding passes were re-printed, one of our children had his first name ( Mark) first , we all had our last name first. ( it may have been the other way around) The security agent gave us some much grief because she thought we were "pulling something" that we almost missed our flight. We had to go all the way back to the ticket counter, go thru a huge hassle because Airtran in Fort Lauderdale had only cranky agents working that day and he did not want to re-print all 5 passes the same ( he actually only had to print Mark's!) , then security would not let us get in the speedy lane. Our luggage was on the plane, we barely made it. BTW- I had passports with us for all 5 of us, and showed her that he was my 10 year old son! Did not care...the TSA agent was not happy that day. And children do not need to show ID.

A minor annoyance, but it still cost us the time we had set aside for potty breaks and breakfast before the flight home.

My DH always gets snagged at port embarkation as his passport shows his legal name with the "Jr." on it. I have tried to change his profile on line to match the passport and have tried to fill out his documents with the added Jr. with still no luck. I even called customer service to have that added, but she told me the system cannot add that in.

They are their own worst enemy in this case.

Does anyone know if you will have a problem if your passport/id lists your middle name or middle initial but your airline/cruise docs only have first and last???

We recently flew on American Airlines, which confirmed online that all of our information, including our middle names, were in the system. The boarding passes printed out with only our first and last names. It was not an issue.

We only have our first and last names on our Set Sail Passes and that's never been a problem, either.

At some point the airlines & other travel industry companies will have to allow passengers to provide the information but until then I don't see what we can do.

If your passport has your middle name spelled out, I would get the rickets changed. It's not a problem with Royal, but my airline said it was good I called because the TSA would have prevented me from going through security, and I would have had to go to the ticket counter to get boarding passes reissued in my full name.

As for folks that do not realize it needs to be the same...how does this happen? I don't mean to sound rude but 1. how do you not know the name on your travel documents? It is YOUR name and 2. why, in this day and age, would you think it is appropriate to use a different name on your cruise reservation (or air) even if it is a "nickname?" Use a little common sense, folks.

To answer your question: My husband has never used his birth name ever. It is only on his Passport and Driver's License. In all the anticipation of planning this trip, it was a complete oversight, certainly not intentional. All things considered I think that this is an important issue and it should be the Travel Agent's job to make clients aware of this, because the consequences could be devastating.

I agree that we have learned an important lesson when it comes to travelling.

H.

Nope, it will not be an issue. I work overseas and travel very frequently. My passport shows my full legal name but my airline documents (and cruise documents) only show first and last.

Just checked all our paperwork. Our flight tickets match our passport, but DH cruise documents just shows his first name and not middle. Is this a problem? Thanks

Nope, not a problem. The cruise documents rarely list middle name. So long as first and last match, and passport (or ID) information matches he's good to go.

Please note:

(see below).

proper documentation.

Helga

A question for you.

You say you booked through a travel agent.

Did the agent say to you "Can I have your names as they appear on your passport"?

This is something that I absolutely religiously adhere to when taking a booking. If I do not, I become culpable for any errors that may occur with names.

To answer your question: My husband has never used his birth name ever. It is only on his Passport and Driver's License. In all the anticipation of planning this trip, it was a complete oversight, certainly not intentional. All things considered I think that this is an important issue and it should be the Travel Agent's job to make clients aware of this, because the consequences could be devastating.

I agree that we have learned an important lesson when it comes to travelling.

H.

I have never used my birthname either (ever, it is horrible) but I know what is on my passport and when I book a cruise, a ferry trip, a train ticket or airfare I know I have to put that name down.

I just don't understand how someone can overlook something as essential as their name in this day and age.

I went to the Travel Agent to make the booking...my husband was not with me, unfortunately. If he would have been this probably would not have happened.

And in response to Greghouseo; No, she did not mention Passports at all. I admit as a traveller I do not have a lot of travel experience, that's why I go to a Travel Agent, and if the Travel Agent is not up to par, or has an "off" day that can cause problems. The purpose of my posting is to prevent this from happening to anyone else, as obviously, mistakes can happen.

I have personally found it interesting, informative and helpful reading other Cruiser's posts on CruiseCritic.

H.

Sorry, but I have the perfect solution. The name given to me, is the name I use. I did not chose it, nor may I like it, but it is mine, and it is legal, and it is used on all legal documents.

Of course, newlyweds might of some issues with a brand new name, but that is an exception!

Thanks Mom and Dad!

Archived