Average Age?

Katetx

This was the same concern I had when I booked my first Regent cruise in 2009. There is a mix of people on board as far as age is considered but I can honestly say that the so-called "older" folks for the most part are a very active and engaging crowd. I can also honestly say that never once while onboard did it cross my mind that someone I was socializing with had crossed into the "seasoned citizen" demographic. It's kind of hard to explain, but for some reason you will find you don't even notice whether your fellow pax (aka new found friends) are older, younger or the same age as you.

Although I don't feel that age matters that much, there are definitely itineraries that appeal to the older population. Families sail mostly during the summer and school breaks. You also see more younger travelers on shorter itineraries. I guess that the average age of guests on any luxury cruise would be at least 50 (or at least 50% of passengers will be over the age of 50). The average age typically goes up with the longer itineraries. This is not based on any "real" numbers. . . . just our observations.

Katetx,

I am in the younger demographic 40ish, DH 50ish. If I had the opportunity to choose what sailing I would prefer regarding age of fellow passengers I would opt for the older generation at a heartbeat. Their sincerity, stories, manners, and their experience on life in general is just absolutlely fantastic. They all can rock and roll, disco,jazz it up if they are so inclined. Some of the jokes are a bit secondhand (my Dad knows them all) but who really can tell a good joke unless you are a comedian.

They all treat you like your their daughter/ family. I think it makes the cruise more memorable.

Their is always the odd party animal on board if you choose to carry on into the wee hours.

Dont let age of passengers deter your choice of cruiselines!

Husband and I are 46 and 43. We are starting to research Luxury Liners. Does RSS have a good age mix? I don't mind older but don't want to be the only 40-somethings onboard.

On our recent cruise I would say the average age was 65/75. We met a Spanish couple in their 40s who enjoyed a bit of nightlife but they found the ship almost deserted by 11.30 p.m. The age doesn't really matter for most activities and entertainment but if you enjoy some fun dancing and nightlife, you may be a little disappointed. Regent is a wonderful company and I would still give them the thumbs up. Our ages would be 60/65. Hope this helps.

We started sailing with Regent/then Radisson when we were in our early 40's. We were on the younger side of the age demographic then. Now we are mid 50's. It totally depends on the cruise as far as ages.

This year, on our Iceland cruise (which was fairly long), I was probably one of the 10 youngest aboard. On our 7 day Med cruise, we were probably just average, and there were lots of people younger than us.

But, not to beat a dead horse, it truly doesn't matter on Regent. I have sailed with couples in the 80's that were so fun and full of life that we actually sought them out as dinner companions and became quite good friends.

Although I don't feel that age matters that much, there are definitely itineraries that appeal to the older population. Families sail mostly during the summer and school breaks. You also see more younger travelers on shorter itineraries. I guess that the average age of guests on any luxury cruise would be at least 50 (or at least 50% of passengers will be over the age of 50). The average age typically goes up with the longer itineraries. This is not based on any "real" numbers. . . . just our observations.

The statement that >= 50% will be over 50, I believe, is a fair statement.

However, by observation, I believe I would also be correct if I say that, on Regent, >= 75-80% of passengers would be over 50.

I have never been on Carnival (or similar) ... the demographic would be younger there but would be surprised if it is "50/50".

BTW: I'm in the "older" 50%

We began serious cruising in our late 40s and it seemed then like we were the young ones surrounded by people who had 'been there - done that' and who knew things about cruising we had not yet experienced. We had much to learn. We made friends with some who are with us as friends today. We found and continue to find that cruise lines are designed to keep all of us happy no matter our ages. Now, nearly 40 years later, we are still cruising, feel in our 40s again, and still look forward to feeling the prop turn and the chain rattle. The biggest difference in our voyages today when compared to those in our 40s, we are now able to afford better quarters. I think that if the facts were made known we would find there would be no Regent or other luxury cruise line at all if passenger ages were limited to an under 50 crowd. JM

The average age on a luxury cruise line will be older but I do remember hearing Marc Conroy at a Town Hall meetings on the Voyager 2 years ago give the average age of Regent passengers at 47 (this is combining ALL Regent cruises).

He also gave average age for Seabourn and Silver Sea and both were older. As others have said, age on the ship will not have any bearing on your vacation. There's something for everyone.

The average age on a luxury cruise line will be older but I do remember hearing Marc Conroy at a Town Hall meetings on the Voyager 2 years ago give the average age of Regent passengers at 47 (this is combining ALL Regent cruises).

He also gave average age for Seabourn and Silver Sea and both were older. As others have said, age on the ship will not have any bearing on your vacation. There's something for everyone.

Marcie - Mark must be counting the crew in the average age on board his ships. All you have to do is sit in one of those lounge gatherings that take place as the ship makes its way between ports to see the ages of the passengers or count the seniors around the pool. How many children are there? Few at best. My guess is the average is closer to 60 than 40. My wife tells me that I'm not always right . . . JM

Marcie - Mark must be counting the crew in the average age on board his ships. All you have to do is sit in one of those lounge gatherings that take place as the ship makes its way between ports to see the ages of the passengers or count the seniors around the pool. How many children are there? Few at best. My guess is the average is closer to 60 than 40. My wife tells me that I'm not always right . . . JM

It really depends upon the time of the year and the length of the cruise. Regent isn't child friendly -- except during the summer and school breaks. Actually, luxury lines in general prefer that children only sail during these times.

Archived