Where does Fred., go from here

Popsey Wopsey

I noticed on another review site ,someone had said he couldn,t see FO.being around in 10 years time.

Given the age of Black Watch and Boudicca and I know other cruise lines run older ships ,what do fellow passengers think.Will FO be left behind or will he do himself proud and buy a totally new ship.

:):)

Popsey, I think you are missing the point here, the chief reason we go on Fred's ships is just because they are not new and glossy ships. He does appear to 'move with the times' slightly, although everyone resists it. We personally like the 'shippyness' of the ships - we don't want to feel like we are in a large hotel and have a high street to walk round - we want to be on the ocean and feel it. Might seem mad to you but that is what we like. Long live Fred!

Popsey, I think you are missing the point here, the chief reason we go on Fred's ships is just because they are not new and glossy ships. He does appear to 'move with the times' slightly, although everyone resists it. We personally like the 'shippyness' of the ships - we don't want to feel like we are in a large hotel and have a high street to walk round - we want to be on the ocean and feel it. Might seem mad to you but that is what we like. Long live Fred!

No Berkshire Lass ,it is you that is missing the point.I am also a gold member with Fred, doing 200 nights. I too love real ships.I am asking for an observation on a comment made on another website.

Why it should seem mad to me I don,t know.!!!!:):)

When Fred. Olsen only had one cruise ship ("Black Prince") many people forecast the demise of the cruising sector of the group. They then acquired the "Black Watch", "Boudicca", "Braemar" and "Balmoral". There was talk some time ago of a new, small ship being bult in Korea but I suspect that the worldwide recession put paid to that. I think they will buy older, small cruise ships and maintain the niche market in the cruise world they have held for some years. I sincerely hope so - I have cruise 28 times with them and have booked a 29th!:)

I suspect that those who predict the demise of FOCL are only stating the obvious. Since Anette Olsen took over there has been a gradual move away from any emphasis on the cruise sector. It must be remembered that FOCL is only a tiny part of the Group. In fact it is not even part of the main group anymore being owned and controlled by Bonheur.

I image that the brand will continue in some form or other but don’t expect any significant investment.

My feeling is that they have a well-loved niche market at the moment (just look how many people on board have cruised with Fred many many times) but that the age group that they attract is getting older and older. Not many under 50's on our recent cruises with them - and most younger people are happy with the new superliners, and if that's what they get used to, they won't necessarily easily adapt to Fred-style 'traditional' cruising in their later years.

So this style of cruising may just fizzle out in a few years time. I intend to make the most of it while it's there, as like Berkshire Lass, the lack of some of the glitzier 'facilities' doesn't bother me at all!

I do hope Fred will not fizzle out in a few years, we are in our 50's and have just discovered Fred and love the smaller ship style of Fred. We have friends in their 40's who also love Fred's style of cruising. The recession won't last forever so maybe that new ship they were looking for might come in a few years time. We have just tried to book a balcony cabin for March 2012 and there are none left so it would appear Freds bookings are OK for a couple of years at least:)

Freecell - I think you have it a bit back to front. [/url]

Berkshire Lass thanks for the link but I don’t understand why you say I have it back to front.

On the link it correctly shows that Bonheur owns 50% of FOCL (the other 50% is held by Ganger Rolf by the way).

Both of these companies are in themselves part of the Fred Olsen Group of course but my point remains valid that FOCL has now been moved to a secondary status with its shares being owned by subsidiary companies within the group.

I am sure that tax has a huge part to play in this decision but the point that I was trying to make was that FOCL is only one very small part of a much larger organisation and that (in my view) the ultimate parent – the Olsen family, are not as committed to the brand as the PR people would have us believe.

In fact, on a cruise a few months back Fred Olsen Jnr. was on board with his family and I got the definite impression that he was distancing himself from the whole cruise business.

Berkshire Lass thanks for the link but I don’t understand why you say I have it back to front.

On the link it correctly shows that Bonheur owns 50% of FOCL (the other 50% is held by Ganger Rolf by the way).

Both of these companies are in themselves part of the Fred Olsen Group of course but my point remains valid that FOCL has now been moved to a secondary status with its shares being owned by subsidiary companies within the group.

I am sure that tax has a huge part to play in this decision but the point that I was trying to make was that FOCL is only one very small part of a much larger organisation and that (in my view) the ultimate parent – the Olsen family, are not as committed to the brand as the PR people would have us believe.

In fact, on a cruise a few months back Fred Olsen Jnr. was on board with his family and I got the definite impression that he was distancing himself from the whole cruise business.

The ownership of the Fred. Olsen group is, and always has been, a complicated one. One thing is certain they will continue the cruise line as long as it is profitable - no longer. I had a chat with Fred. Olsen Snr some time ago and he was very keen to maintain a fleet of small ships and had been very opposed to the purchase of the "Balmoral". Unless the profitability of cruising takes a nose dive I suspect that there will be cruise ships as well as cargo ships and tankers sailing the world under Fred. Olsen colours for some time to come.

I am sure you are correct, all companies ultimately need to engage in profitable business in order to thrive. Like everyone else FO is not a charity.

The original post questioned where FOCL might be in ten years time and whether or not the company might invest in a totally new ship.

My own view is that the FOCL brand will still be around but don’t expect huge investment in new ships or anything else for that matter.

• 4 weeks later...

I think there is a definite market for the FO type of vessel and experience. Interesting that P&O have just got a much smaller ship to replace Artemis (which was same size as Balmoral) when it seemed they were just going for bigger and bigger ships. Maybe they too realise there is an opeing in the market for the smaller more intimate ship. Mind you they are charging top whack for the little'un. Howver, much as I like FO, I will be trying the new P&Oer soon.

I dont know about you lot but we have cometo the conclusion that 'Go North, Go FO otherwise take P&O.

Rumours of the demise of Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines have been circulating for years. Yes, their ships are getting old, especially the "Black Watch" and "Boudicca", but, as time goes by, if cruising remains popular and profitable they will no doubt pick up other ships, renovate them and put them into service for years to come. Over the past 15 years this is exactly what they have done and have met the needs of a very specific niche market. What they musn't do is to try to emulate the Carnival-type product. FOCL ships continue to be very fully booked especially for their superb long cruises and this is often before price-cutting fills in the gaps at the last minute.

In my opinion the international mix of passengers on the longer cruises is great. It's a pity that this seems to be less successful on their shorter ex-UK cruises.

On a lighter note their recent production of a "Facebook" must at least show that they are crashing into the 21st century. It's interesting to follow the progress of the "Balmoral" and "Black Watch" on their long Winter cruises.:)

Archived