No Cristmas Church Services on Glory

auburngirl

Just received an email from Ismary Otero (iotero@carnival.com) with Carnival and they will have NO Christmas Church services on the Glory next week for their Christmas Cruise. How sad that you can have a cruise that celebrates "Christmas" but not the "Christ" in Christmas. I guess they forgot that Christmas is the birth of Jesus Christ.

you can still celebrate. the lord is everywhere. talk to him.

if you're lucky, someone of faith may happen to be on board, and might perform whatever ceremony you are looking for.

good thing your not vacationing in asia or the middle east on that day.

Just received an email from Ismary Otero (iotero@carnival.com) with Carnival and they will have NO Christmas Church services on the Glory next week for their Christmas Cruise. How sad that you can have a cruise that celebrates "Christmas" but not the "Christ" in Christmas. I guess they forgot that Christmas is the birth of Jesus Christ.

They didn't forget, John Heald in his blog about a month ago indicated that a minister would be on all ships where they could arrange for one to be.

It sounds like unfortunately they couldn't reach an agreement with anyone for the Glory.

And BTW, they (Carnival) are not having a cruise that celebrates Christmas, they are recognizing the holiday through decorations, special music and in some instances a church service, while still respecting the religious diversity of all of those on board.

To my knowledge, Carnival has never had an official "church" service on Christmas sailings.

We just got off the Triumph and the Destiny and both had services as they lit the Menora. They had the traditional bread etc. It was held in the Atrium.

On the 2 Christmas sailings that we have done, Carnival always had a Christmas show (complete with Santa) and hymns were sung like Silent Night.

I don't know why Carnival shies away from having religious services onboard on a regular basis, and definitely more during religious holidays. People WILL attend religious services at sea. When we sailed on the Holiday a few years ago, there was a religious group on board who brought their own priest. They asked to have their mass service printed on the Capers so that anybody could attend if they wished. The number of people who showed up was so overwhelming, that they had to move the service from one of the smaller lounges to the main theater at the last minute!

I was going to say that Carnival doesn't want to "offend" people who might be of a different religious origin, but that can't be it since they had a Menorah lighting ceremony on the Fascination last week.

Where is your ship sailing to? We actually looked up religious services ashore when we sailed on the Liberty 2 years ago, and found a church in St. Maarten within walking distance which offered mass while we were in port!

And BTW, they (Carnival) are not having a cruise that celebrates Christmas, they are recognizing the holiday through decorations, special music and in some instances a church service, while still respecting the religious diversity of all of those on board

A Menorah Lighting Ceremony like the one they had on the Fascination last week didn't sound like something that "respects all religious diversity of all of those onboard.."

A big part of it is available clergy. This is actually a busy time of year for them, and they are unable to get away from their home churches. Even retired clergy tends to go to services on Christmas!

For this reason, I likely will choose not to take a cruise over Christmas, as attending services is important to me.

Are you in a port of call on Christmas? I can not fine the intinery so I do not know. But you may be able to find a parish on land that would welcome you. I remember someone looking for a church in Key West once to celebrate an important holiday - might have been Easter.

They try to arrange to have people on board during the holidays. They were able to get someone to light the menorah, but they weren't able to get someone to hold mass during Christmas. It's all about the priests schedules. Most of the priests are probably holding mass at the churches in their towns, so they can't be on a cruise ship.

If you're that worried about going to mass on Christmas, maybe a Christmas cruise isn't the best idea for you.

I can't help to think that these Christmas or Hanukkah services seen in that the past was a private group perhaps ?

That said, I think the ship doing something special for Christmas would be fun and that even other faiths could share in the fun...everybody loves Santa Claus.

For those who share in the faith could have a more private function if we wished.

A Menorah Lighting Ceremony like the one they had on the Fascination last week didn't sound like something that "respects all religious diversity of all of those onboard.."

Seems to me that indicates that they ARE respecting other religions. :confused:

Some people actually cruise (and travel) in order to escape Christmas. I think it is very nice when Carnival can arrange a variety of religious services especially during important holidays but I for one would be a bit upset if I traveled over one of the holidays and sound that the ship was highly decorated and playing religious songs of whatever faith for large parts of the trip.

If you are going to quote me then I would appreciate you not adding words to my post. One word can change the whole inference of a sentance.

This is what I said:

And BTW, they (Carnival) are not having a cruise that celebrates Christmas, they are recognizing the holiday through decorations, special music and in some instances a church service, while still respecting the religious diversity of all of those on board.

Carnival has tried to be sensitive and provide some kind of acknowledgement to 2 of the largest religious groups that have important holidays during this time of year.

I think it's done in a respectful, not in your face manner and IS respectful of other religous practices or to those who practice no religion what so ever.

Carnival forgot nothing. THEY DECORATED and will welcome you aboard with a happy holidays wish. If you need service, stay home and go to church.

And BTW, they (Carnival) are not having a cruise that celebrates Christmas, they are recognizing the holiday through decorations, special music and in some instances a church service, while still respecting the religious diversity of all of those on board.[/color][/size][/font]

Man, am I tired of hearing the politically correct, mumbo-jumbo excuse. Everyone knows Dec 25th is Christmas. Does anyone force Jewish people to call Hanukkah, "December Holiday" or that Muslims should call Ramadan "April Break?" to reflect my diversity? It doesn't offend me that they celebrate in a way that they like. If I went on a cruise and there were "Happy Hanukkah" signs posted, I would look and say, "that's nice". Why should I be offended?

Its Christmas, I wish people would bloody well call it that.

Man, am I tired of hearing the politically correct, mumbo-jumbo excuse. Everyone knows Dec 25th is Christmas. Does anyone force Jewish people to call Hanukkah, "December Holiday" or that Muslims should call Ramadan "April Break?" to reflect my diversity? It doesn't offend me that they celebrate in a way that they like. If I went on a cruise and there were "Happy Hanukkah" signs posted, I would look and say, "that's nice". Why should I be offended?

It's only Christmas to us Christians and nobody (including Carnival) is forcing anyone to call it anything other than whatever they want to call it.

I say Merry Christmas even to my atheist and agnostic friends. It's my holiday that I'm celebrating, I never feel like I'm being forced to be politically correct.

I do think that any corporation that markets to all people needs to be careful not to show bias for or against any group.

Well said...thank you and Merry Christmas :)

Carnival forgot nothing. THEY DECORATED and will welcome you aboard with a happy holidays wish. If you need service, stay home and go to church.

christmas decorations have nothing to do with the op's question of a church service. i don't think santa yet visits churches.

christmas decorations have nothing to do with the op's question of a church service. i don't think santa yet visits churches.

Well...he's a bishop in Holland...oh wait! That's on Dec 6th St. Nicholaus Day don't really see that celebrated much of anywhere on board.... :D

to be clear...I am a Jew, not religious but one and proud. We were on Destiny for Hanukkah and it was nice that a couple of nights a small group of other Jews were with us doing a Menorah lighting...no Rabbi, no clergy, just a small group of people. It may be different if there was a big service but there was not. That being said I am also aware that Jews are the minority in this world and Catholic/Christian Holidays are much more celebrated than ours..

Cheers

To the OP and any others that have concerns about celebrating their faith on Christmas, remember this. Wherever two or more gather in His name, a church service is in order.

So, just bring a Bible with you on the ship and don't be concerned with whether Carnival has an organized service or not. There is no such thing as "Christian" companies, there are only Christian people! It is not the reponsibility of Carnival (nor should it be) to provide any religious services for any religion during any religious Holiday.

I would prefer they not use Christmas at all if it is only portrayed by one of the greatest lies of all time, "Santa Claus"!

Merry Christmas and enjoy your cruise.

Just thought you might want to know Ramadan isn't in April so it would be a strange name for it

Well...he's a bishop in Holland...oh wait! That's on Dec 6th St. Nicholaus Day don't really see that celebrated much of anywhere on board.... :D

I used to celebrate St. Nicholaus' Day when I was a kid....My Godfather was Dutch......I still put my wooden shoes out with my decorations and love salty licorice......

The Glory is "At Sea" on Christmas Day and are serving a "traditional Christmas meal". We leave Grand Turk on Dec. 24 at 5:30pm. I just, incorrectly, assumed that they would have an "optional" service on Christmas to celebrate the birth of Christ. Especially since I have read about other services being held on board. I think that if they did, they would be surprised at the attendance OR have one the night before on Christmas Eve.

Archived