No Cristmas Church Services on Glory

auburngirl

Christians don't, but it looks like from what some are saying, Catholics do.
It's perfectly fine to have Catholic prayer services led by laypeople, but you cannot have a Eucharist (i.e., Communion or Mass) without a priest. Our parish priest has offered Eucharist on Celebrity cruises, but there is no way our bishop would allow him to cruise over Christmas.

christmas decorations have nothing to do with the op's question of a church service. i don't think santa yet visits churches.

And, a cruise that is sailing over Dec 25th is not a Christian cruise. It happens to be sailing during a Christian holiday that is celebrated by believers and non-believers alike.

man, am i tired of hearing the politically correct, mumbo-jumbo excuse. Everyone knows dec 25th is christmas. Does anyone force jewish people to call hanukkah, "december holiday" or that muslims should call ramadan "april break?" to reflect my diversity? It doesn't offend me that they celebrate in a way that they like. If i went on a cruise and there were "happy hanukkah" signs posted, i would look and say, "that's nice". Why should i be offended?

Its christmas, i wish people would bloody well call it that.

amen

I am Jewish and I enjoyed a menorah lighting on a Carnival cruise. It was held in a corner of the atrium and the service was run by members of our group. It seemed like Carnival supplied the large electric menorah, but I'm not sure of that. It was lovely. A few songs were sung, prayers said and latkas and wine and challa supplied by Carnival. There were quite a few guests observing that were just interested.

Having said that, I think it would be fun to have Christmas trees, decorations, songs and movies during the cruises that fall around December 25th. If a group would like to get together and have a prayer service I think that would be nice too. Maybe Carnival could supply Christmas cookies and gingerbread men, etc.

I think we've gotten way too politically correct and much is lost by not witnessing the joy in each groups beliefs and celebrations. All have lessons to be taught and should be respected.

I think

Man, am I tired of hearing the politically correct, mumbo-jumbo excuse. Everyone knows Dec 25th is Christmas. Does anyone force Jewish people to call Hanukkah, "December Holiday" or that Muslims should call Ramadan "April Break?" to reflect my diversity? It doesn't offend me that they celebrate in a way that they like. If I went on a cruise and there were "Happy Hanukkah" signs posted, I would look and say, "that's nice". Why should I be offended?

Its Christmas, I wish people would bloody well call it that.

Merry Christmas to you too !

Very well said. Christians wanting to say Christmas and outwardly show signs and symbols of the Christian part of Christmas are being stifled. Yet, every other religion should be "tolerated" to show acceptance.

We don't say "the" holidays for 4th of July, New Year's day, Memorial Day, etc. Let's call it what it is .... Christmas!

Of course, if the politically correct people would really study Christianity, they would realize while Christmas is an important holy day for Christians, they would also realize it is not "the" holy day.... fortunately they haven't yet forced us to say happy holiday at Easter!

Merry Christmas!

We say "Happy Holidays" because of the many holidays celebrated between Thanksgiving & Epiphany & because it's rude (not to mention un-Christianlike) to exclude people from your well-wishes & blessings.

Let's see there's Thanksgiving, St. Nicholas Day, St. Lucia Day, Hannukah, Ramadan (sometimes & *never* in April btw), Eid, Advent, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Kwanza, New Years Eve, New Year's Day, & finally :phew: Epiphany. If you think that saying "Happy Holidays" is somehow besmirching Christians, might I suggest you crack open a book & learn a thing or two about the world around you.

there is no Hanukkah music played during the lighting of the Menorah...the lighting and small blessing ceremony lasts 5 minutes and it is done. There was also no Hanukkah music on the Lido Deck. Nor were there staff wearing skull caps and asked to remove them....not sure of your point here

I think the point was that many people pay double/triple to sail during christmas with the decorations and stuff and the ship kinda slapped them in the face.

I am very tolerant of all Holidays and think that it would be great if there was a section in the Atrium or wherever to celebrate these if that denomination was on that cruise...Hanukkah was for 2 nights on our Destiny cruise. The electric Menorah was supplied by Carnival, the gathering was ran by one of the Entertainment staff who is Jewish. Perhaps it is he who pressed for this on board dunno. It was great to see other people interested in what was going on as well. The few songs were sang, latkes eaten, bit of wine and some mingling around by others. I would be fine if they did this for all Holidays as long as it wasn't in my face everywhere. Wouldn't want Hanukkah all over either for the sake of non Jews.

This is the political correctness I am really tired of. Nobody wants to "offend" anybody with Christianity.....how about the fact the Christians are offended by not being able to celebrate Christmas (and sorry - it is Christmas, not xmas - Christ is not an x). Yet every other religion is celebrated ...

Xmas is derived from greek 'shorthand' that the scribes used to refer to Christ, since Christ's name in greek begins with X. And of course, if you choose not to use the shorthand, that's absolutely your right.

However, the lack of a provided clergy in no way prevents anyone from celebrating Christmas should they so desire. Carnival, which may or may not say "Merry Christmas" to you, in no way is preventing YOU from saying "Merry Christmas" to anyone you choose.

This is just asinine and as a Christian I am embarrassed and offended by my fellow Christians seeking to portray themselves as victimized and persecuted when nothing could be further from the truth. Show me the Carnival memo that says, "No passenger will be permitted to say "Merry Christmas" nor organize any sort of service in recognition of the holiday, under penalty of being forcibly disembarked at the next port of call." and you'll have some kind of point. In the meantime, if you want a Christmas service, hold one. If you want to hear "Merry Christmas" then say it.

Karen

John 14:6

The delineation of who goes where is reserved solely and exclusively for God. The rest of us have been commanded by Jesus himself to serve everyone, as if they were Christ (parable of the sheep and goats, Matthew 25).

Christianity is, as defined by Christ, first and foremost one of putting oneself and beliefs dead last ahead of everyone else. It's a calling of service to others, at the expense of one's own comforts--including our comfort levels.

If God himself can be born in a barn, surely those of us who claim Him can manage to fend for ourselves in creating an appropriate remembrance without demanding the entire world cater to us in the process.

To the OP and any others that have concerns about celebrating their faith on Christmas, remember this. Wherever two or more gather in His name, a church service is in order.

So, just bring a Bible with you on the ship and don't be concerned with whether Carnival has an organized service or not. There is no such thing as "Christian" companies, there are only Christian people! It is not the reponsibility of Carnival (nor should it be) to provide any religious services for any religion during any religious Holiday.

I would prefer they not use Christmas at all if it is only portrayed by one of the greatest lies of all time, "Santa Claus"!

Merry Christmas and enjoy your cruise.

Wow! I bet your bar bill is REALLY low at the end of the cruise!

I think the point was that many people pay double/triple to sail during christmas with the decorations and stuff and the ship kinda slapped them in the face.

I don't think so. I pay a premium to sail with my family at that time of year- not to celebrate any holiday, but to sail as a family unit. The fact is that the ships are decorated for Christmas (not Hanukah), there is very religious music playing throughout the ship (we actually counted how many times we heard the name Jesus in music played in the dining room one evening-it was alot!:D), that they have a "holiday dinner" for Christmas eve, that Santa visits in the atrium, and that the kid's club has a Christmas show is not a slap in the face. Again - there is no rabbi on board holding Hanukah services. It is done by a crew member. I would virtue a guess that somewhere among 3,000+ people sailing there must be someone who could hold a Christmas service.

Wow! I bet your bar bill is REALLY low at the end of the cruise!

Too funny!;)

man, am i tired of hearing the politically correct, mumbo-jumbo excuse. Everyone knows dec 25th is christmas. Does anyone force jewish people to call hanukkah, "december holiday" or that muslims should call ramadan "april break?" to reflect my diversity? It doesn't offend me that they celebrate in a way that they like. If i went on a cruise and there were "happy hanukkah" signs posted, i would look and say, "that's nice". Why should i be offended?

Its christmas, i wish people would bloody well call it that.

Amen!

To those of you who believe that attending a religious service on Christmas is so important I would like to ask: Do you also buy into the whole materialism of Christmas? Hang the christmas lights, decorate the tree, take your kids to see Santa, load up on Christmas presents? If you do then you have already demeaned the whole purpose of the day as the day that Jesus was born (although I don't believe that Bible actually states that the day is Dec. 25 :D) . How can you participate in the whole commercialization of Christmas and then complain about the consequences of that behavior? :rolleyes:

There is nothing to stop anybody from practicing his/her spiritual beliefs on Christmas if it is important to him/her. Organized religion is such a racket if they can convince you that if you are in sitting in a church listening to a priest/preacher/rabbi whatever then you are not worshiping God. OP - has it ever dawned to you that it might be a more spiritually enriching experience to gather with your family and friends and talk about the meaning of the Birth of Christ, its relevance to this time in history then listening to a Priest?

We say "Happy Holidays" because of the many holidays celebrated between Thanksgiving & Epiphany & because it's rude (not to mention un-Christianlike) to exclude people from your well-wishes & blessings.

Let's see there's Thanksgiving, St. Nicholas Day, St. Lucia Day, Hannukah, Ramadan (sometimes & *never* in April btw), Eid, Advent, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Kwanza, New Years Eve, New Year's Day, & finally :phew: Epiphany. If you think that saying "Happy Holidays" is somehow besmirching Christians, might I suggest you crack open a book & learn a thing or two about the world around you.

I am well aware of all the "holidays" between Thanksgiving and Epiphany so I don't need to "crack open a book and learn a thing or two about the world around me" But get real. Nobody really says Happy Holiday to be all inclusive. This country has become so PC and so afraid of offending anybody except Christians, that the mere mention of Christ and Christmas is considered wrong. People say Happy Hannukah, Happy New Year, Happy Boxing Day, Happy Kwanza, etc.....what they don't say is Merry Christmas. I'm just waiting for it to be politically incorrect to say Happy Easter (which by the way is the big Christian Holy Day....if you weren't aware of this, you might crack open a book and learn a thing or two about Christianity).

Archived