Packing for Hawaii on POA

dleighb

Does my husband need to bring a suit for dinner? We are trying to avoid extra luggage fees and it just seems silly to have to bring a suit and and extra pair of dress shoes for one formal night. I don't even know if there is a formal night. How does one normally dress for dinner? I thought he could just bring dockers and some nice shirts? Will that be all right?

Also, are there any "Must Brings". So far, I've noted ziploc sandwich bags and binoculars in addition to all the the normal things that I pack for a trip.

And, if anyone has been on the Stars and Stripes Tour with Roberts, does anyone know how much walking that involves? I just got a call from my mom last night that she either sprained or broke her ankle. She's a trooper though and unless the doc says she can't go, she'll be right there will us.

Thank you all for your help and reviews. We're in the final days now!

He will be fine with Dockers and nice shirts. My husband wore the same when we were on POH. It's just no jeans and t-shirts in the main dining rooms. (We had all our luggage stolen on the way to HNL - long story - and we had shopped some before the cruise, so we were lucky to have Dockers and nice shirts for my husband)

ENJOY!

Friends of ours took same cruise last year and jeans and shorts were allowed in dining rooms even speciality rest. Very laid back very casual!

Must haves, sandwich bags, pen and paper, clothes pins to hang wet suits, soft sided cooler...

We just did this cruise in October and while I cant say for sure but I didn't think shorts were allowed in the specialty restaurants, we always eat at these places and only saw shorts on the first night which they allow because they assume that not everybody has rec'd their luggage yet.

Not sure what month your going but I would take bug spray because if your going into any of the waterfalls they can be pretty wet area's.

We had to use it on our January 2008 cruise but didn't need it for this past October cruise.

I also saw a program on the animal channel last night on Hawaii and the wild bore and they spoke about hunting down the wild bore because they take down a particular tree, eat the insides of the trunk and then the trunk gather's water that sits and becomes breeding ground for mosquitoes which is becoming a real problem although they said that they haven't had any signs of west nile virus but it's just a matter of time.

We also took a bungee cord in order to keep balcony door open at night. You hook it on to the outside handle of sliding door and take the other end to the bracket that screws balcony divider to the wall.

Duck tape in case you get a loose rattling drawer or closet door, we have also had to use to to seal up the adjoining door to the next cabin due to two heavy smokers in next cabin, sealing the opening at bottom was not enough we had to seal the entire door. So ever since then we have never booked an adjoining cabin room.

We have also never booked adjoining cabins and would not suggest it (unless your party is using both). There have been many complaints about noise since there is not the same amount of insulation.

Duct tape is also handy for other things. I have used it to patch a tear in my suitcase zipper area and also to do a quick emergency fix on a hemline. I also bring post-it notes to leave messages to the cabin steward and my family members on the mirror. Very handy!

I would bring a power strip, ziplock bags, a soft side cooler. You do not need to wear a suit. My DH wore shorts and a nice polo shirt to the speciality restaurants that we went to and that was okay. If you plan on going to the Liberty Dining Room, Jefferson's Bistro you MUST have pants on and no jeans. The others were okay with shorts... No bathing suits they ask too.

You do not need to wear a suit. My DH wore shorts and a nice polo shirt to the speciality restaurants that we went to and that was okay. If you plan on going to the Liberty Dining Room, Jefferson's Bistro you MUST have pants on and no jeans. The others were okay with shorts... No bathing suits they ask too.

This is what we experienced too. We only ate in Liberty once during Dress Up or Not Night because the other nights, DH didn't want to change out of his shorts. :)

Make sure you bring insect repellent. We wore it EVERY morning not matter what we did. The one morning that we did not wear it, I got 4 bug bites. I also got 2 bug bites when I WAS wearing it!! :mad:

Also, in addition to flip flops, bring a good pair of walking shoes. We wore low top hiking shoes and they were wonderful for walking over uneven lava and some of the trails to waterfalls.

We have a rule of packing light. One rule-on carry on suitcase each. Learned this from Rick Steves, the travel guru. We have done this on all our six cruises. For formal night, DH packs a long sleeve white shirt, a black vest and nice tie and has worn blue jeans (pressed from a cleaner). Next time, I've requested he get some sort of black pants, even if they are black jeans. He has black tennis. FOr me, I just get black sparkly stuff and poly skirt or pants.

We have dined in specialty restaurants like this. We appear "all dressed up" from the waist up. Worked for us.

We are booked for Hawaii Dec 2011. Looking forward to it.

Archived