Tips and tricks

WinnipegCruiser

On embarking in Barcelona I was handed a card stating that the wine allowance was one bottle per person. I'm not near a scanner but I did keep the card and can post it here later. There does seem to be some confusion on this even within X's website but for that cruise, at least, we were told it was one per person.

On embarking in Barcelona I was handed a card stating that the wine allowance was one bottle per person. I'm not near a scanner but I did keep the card and can post it here later. There does seem to be some confusion on this even within X's website but for that cruise, at least, we were told it was one per person.

This is interesting. As we are always a party of two, we bring along 2 bottles for our stateroom. However what you are saying here, is if you have 3 in a room, that would allow for 3 bottles? And a single can bring on only one? Crazy confusion for some. Another source of confusion which X is great on stirrring up.

I buy a small notebook at the dollar store and attach a pen so that I can make notes for my travel pages and reviews. My memory isn't the best and this helps keep track of where I've been, what I thought and what we liked or disliked so when I go back to write, my memory is refreshed.

I also love the "over-the-door shoe thingy" and keep it filled with cruise-specific items all the time, so I never forget to pack stuff that I wouldn't normally take on business trips. But I always hang it on the outside of the bathroom door. That way if I'm on my way to the pool or need to leave a note for the cabin steward and DH is in the bathroom, I can just grab sunscreen or post-its or whatever I need without waiting for him to come out. And yes, everytime we're packing for a cruise, DH always complains about having to fit it into the suitcase. But guess who he asks when he needs a band-aid, or batteries, or superglue?? Hint...it's not the cabin steward or guest relations staff!

According to the paperwork I was given, you are correct -- three in a stateroom would be allow three bottles of wine, one would allow one. I agree with your comment about X's ability to obfuscate!
I concur that X often puts out conflicting info. What paperwork are you referring to?

I have never seen anything but 2 bottles per stateroom [e.g. from Celebrity's website FAQs: spacer.gifDoes Celebrity charge a corkage fee? No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of the cruise may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom , but when consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00...] but it won't surprise me if they say differently elsewhere.

Thom

In fact, this seems to me to be one obfuscation-free topic. I have always seen it as 2 bottles per stateroom, unlike the confusion over dress code issues and the like.

Agree!

My impression is X isn't policing this to be poopy or focus on revenue. But the limit is help control crazy behavior on board. Lets face it, some use a vacation to get a tad carried away :eek:

If someone brought 3 bottles per stateroom, I'm guessing they wouldn't care. Everything in moderation.

We brought wine back from our ports of call in Europe - didn't even occur to me it wasn't allowed. We paid the corkage and shared the bottles with our sommelier.

Now the dude on my cruise who announced he was planning to bring (sneak) 3 cases of beer + I don't remember how many bottles of liquor + 5 bottles of wine ... I'm guessing that's what X doesn't want on board. And a safety concern - not to mention that there aren't many quiet drunks, so the happiness of their other passengers is important. Not the refined image they are going for.

Incidentally, he didn't show for cruise critic party, so dunno if he was for real. I asked him if he was planning to pack any clothing as I doubted any person could actually carry all that in a suitcase.

As I said in an earlier post, on arriving at the terminal in Barcelona we were given a card which stated one bottle per person was the allowance. Unfortunately, I am away from home now and all the papers I saved from that transatlantic cruise are tucked in the scrapbook at home, but I was surprised to see the wording that stated "one bottle per person", not "two bottles per stateroom" as their website has.

• 1 month later...

Quote:

Originally Posted by drb

Or, better yet, slice open a finger and you may get a chance to see a shark or barracuda up close Seriously, why don't we just enjoy the animals we have been given the opportunity to observe without screwing around with their diet for our own gratification?

Really.... somehow you really think that these fish have a specific diet....

You seriously have no clue.

Amen ! I happen to know an ocean chef and he says that his fish love the proteins, carbs and fats in the dog treats! must be a tree hugger!

Relax Celebrity is a lot more upscale. That ice chest tip is lame. Need ice. Your cabin attendant will bring it as often as you want it. I usually have him fill my insulated jug with ice and ice water. I ask on the first day and it happens everyday. I only use it for off the ship. On the ship, just walk up to any bar and ask for ice water. It happens. Laundry bags are provided. Zip lock bags are great ....also bring 2 gallon size. They worke well for stuffing dirty laundry in suit cases. Sit on them and push the air out. I also used that to bring home large bulky sweaters when I went to Estonia. They compress down to nothing.

I actually liked the ice chest suggestion. Someone in another thread mentioned it before we went to Bermuda and it was AWESOME!!! Our room steward filled it with ice, water bottles, and the sodas we brought with us and we took them to the beach. When I saw the $3.50 price tag for water bottles at the hut @ horse shoe bay I was so happy I brought that cooler :D

• 2 months later...
quick question about bringing on wine. do you have to carry the bottles on or can you put them in your suitcase. I know on Carnival you must carry them on. I have a friend sailing on Celebrity so Im asking for her. thanks!

As far as I know (and from personal experience) you can pack a bottle in your luggage and carry a bottle on board and no one will question you. In fact, you can put 2 bottles in your carry on....and 2 bottles in your wife's carry on....and then board about 5 minutes apart and no one will question you.

Of course things change, etc.

I have found lots of comments related to bringing wine on board, and understand one per person (2 per cabin)....but I am seeing references here that it is okay to bring bottled water and soda on board with us on embarkation...,and from ports.....is that true?

Also, comments about having room steward removing items from room refrigerator.....to allow you to store your water, soda, etc instead...that is okay?

I was under impression that they wanted to use the refri to stock more items for us to purchase, if we wanted while on board....and to have us purchase soda or nonalcoholic cards, as water and soda are not included in the cost of cruise....would seem they would not want those items brought on board by passengers???

Please comment.....this will be our first Celebrity cruise.

Great tips! However two definitely don't apply to Celebrity...

Laundry - Celebrity does not have machines available for passenger use. You either have to use the ship's laundry service or hand-wash items yourself in your cabin. The shower has a retractable clothesline that you can use to hang up items to dry. They do not have irons that you can use on board and do not allow bringing a travel iron on the ship.

Cereal - Celebrity does not have individual boxes of cereal. All breakfast cereals are dispensed directly into your bowl from a large container, sort of like the bulk food dispensers at some grocery stores.

I never tried to buy stamps at the purser's office for the countries we were visiting... hopefully someone will know if that is correct.

As to entertainment in the MDR - other than the traditional "baked alaska" parade that they will have on the last formal night, I've never seen any entertainment other than a string quartet or pianist.

Celebrity has small cereal boxes for room service orders.

I have found lots of comments related to bringing wine on board, and understand one per person (2 per cabin)....but I am seeing references here that it is okay to bring bottled water and soda on board with us on embarkation...,and from ports.....is that true?

Also, comments about having room steward removing items from room refrigerator.....to allow you to store your water, soda, etc instead...that is okay?

I was under impression that they wanted to use the refri to stock more items for us to purchase, if we wanted while on board....and to have us purchase soda or nonalcoholic cards, as water and soda are not included in the cost of cruise....would seem they would not want those items brought on board by passengers???

Please comment.....this will be our first Celebrity cruise.

We request the mini bar fridge be cleared out on every Celebrity cruise. Just had it done 10 days ago. Yes, water and soft drinks can be brought on board.

Never needed duct tape or the "over the door" shoe thing...there's plenty of storage, and if you should absolutely NEED duct tape, I bet the maintenance dept. has some!

We've used duct tape on more than one occasion. Wouldn't travel without it. We like our over the door travel bag because it keeps everything together and my husband can find things easily, especially on the S class with so little drawer space. We only take the over the door bag on longer cruises.

We now keep duct tape in the car too. When we picked up our car in NJ after our cruise the passenger window would not stay up. We think someone may have tried to break in the car. We were in a driving rain storm when it went down. The duct tape from my suitcase held it up for us until we could get it fixed. It's like insurance you are better off if you never need to use it but so glad you have it if you do. We started taking it when we had a suitcase ripped by" it couldn't have been us" and there was none we could get until a port.

We brought our ice chest little rolling suitcase as a carryon and it was quite handy to have with us.

The secret to the refrigerators is to prop the wooden door that conceals the refrigerator open. It gets too hot inside that cabinet and thus the refrigerator cannot cool properly. We used the bible at first, but that apparently offended the cabin attendant and she finally removed it. We then used a paperback I had finished reading. It did make a remarkable difference in the temp inside the refrigerator.

That's a great tip. I will certainly try it for upcoming cruise. I have never had any luck with keeping things cool in fridge. I'll be sure not to use the bible. Thanks!

• 2 months later...
Never needed duct tape or the "over the door" shoe thing...there's plenty of storage, and if you should absolutely NEED duct tape, I bet the maintenance dept. has some!

Don't be too sure about maintenance having duct tape. We always take a roll but on one cruise, for some reason, we didn't have any. First I asked the hotel staff and then two of the ship's crew and the answer was the same from all...we don't have duct tape. I was amazed but I never did find any on that ship!

Archived