The Incredible SHRINKING Band!!

Tom-n-Cheryl

I had not really noticed until another CC'er mentioned it to me a couple of months ago, but now I realize what he was talking about. His comment was how the number of band members has slowly been cut on Carnival - most notably with fewer brass players. Come to think of it, the last few bands I have seen on Carnival did not have a trumpet or trombone player.

I searched for some old band pictures -- not my own, as I don't have any except the "Music ----" (Lounge) bands. Here is one from almost two years ago on the Miracle showing 9 members (keyboardist on couch):

626000634_c3f4g-L.jpg

Here is another photo from the Miracle (2008) which shows NINE (8.5!) band members. (care of: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8348059@N02/sets/72157606366175105/with/2733080479/):

1128274941_bCyFV-L.jpg

Here is one from the Carnivale (1990) - you might recognize the guy with the Trombone (he has a blog thingy...):

1128266524_FTZtp-L.jpg

Having said all of this... here is a picture from a review of the Splendor (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1302052) from October of this year. I can see 9 people here as well.... perhaps the cuts have not made it to all the ships yet (based on contracts and such).

1128286988_ED6ey-L.jpg

I am curious as to the observations of other CC'ers.. Is it only "me" ??

Tom

I saw a post about liquor tastings the first night. They have been cancelled on my cruises.

Things change, go with the flow. Nothing is exactly the same forever.

True... but why does this "change" always seem to follow (go in) the same direction? ;)

Tom

I've got several good friends who are musicians, active on Carnival ships, and according to them, you're absolutely correct. They are slowly doing away with most of the brass section, and filling in with a recorded track for the shows. I REALLY hate to see this happen, as listening to the band is one of my favorite things aboard ship. As we sail a LOT, I've noticed this happening, but on the other hand, it's really "spotty"! On my last cruise aboard "Miracle", they actually had 10 members in the band, but I was told that this was REALLY unusual, as new musicians were added, just before the OLD guy was moved. Anyway, it's another sign of the Carnival cut backs. Sad, but true!

"SKY"

Just returned from a B2B on the Elation and the current show band is down to 4 members. It seems that most of the music is now canned as is much of the singing. The Island band was down to two with only one keyboard and a female singer. It just all seems pretty cheap and phony to me.

They still had free booze tasting at least once on each leg. To me that is also a bit of a joke as who really needs to stand in line for 30 minutes to get less than a 1/4 inch of booze in a medicine size cup.

.. They are slowly doing away with most of the brass section, and filling in with a recorded track for the shows. ...

"SKY"

We need to watch out if they start listing Milli Vanilli as vocals! :eek:

:D

Of course, the Lido deck bands seem to have more and more backup tracks playing as their numbers decline.

Tom

They still had free booze tasting at least once on each leg. To me that is also a bit of a joke as who really needs to stand in line for 30 minutes to get less than a 1/4 inch of booze in a medicine size cup.

The same people who are drawn to the past guest party for bottom shelf drinks...

I don't bother with some of their reindeer games any longer.

Tom

Just returned from a B2B on the Elation and the current show band is down to 4 members. It seems that most of the music is now canned as is much of the singing. The Island band was down to two with only one keyboard and a female singer. It just all seems pretty cheap and phony to me.

What I thought was wierd is we had recorded music for the male solo singer. I think maybe he was sick. I kept expecting him to come around a corner or some such, but only a female singer ever appeared.

One of the main shows on a recent cruise.

I wanted to know abou that south african drink, strats with a A, ambula whatever .. how it tastes.

Ecstasy said they did away with it.. thats what I was told.

I saw a post about liquor tastings the first night. They have been cancelled on my cruises.

Things change, go with the flow. Nothing is exactly the same forever.

We have been on three ships this year and all three had liquor tastings.

Not a big deal one way or another as the other posted noted stand in line for 20-30 minutes for small sample.

I thought I read from Heald or somewhere else that they are cutting down on the size of the house band and that space and budget is being taken up by comedians and other performers on the ship as well as guest performers. You can't make everybody happy. But they are trying to deal with a diverse customer base. For people who really turned on by the number of members in the house band, I guess their are cruise lines that cater to that. I am not sure that the size of the house band really impacts my choice of cruise lines or ships.

I thought I read from Heald or somewhere else that they are cutting down on the size of the house band and that space and budget is being taken up by comedians and other performers on the ship as well as guest performers. You can't make everybody happy. But they are trying to deal with a diverse customer base. For people who really turned on by the number of members in the house band, I guess their are cruise lines that cater to that. I am not sure that the size of the house band really impacts my choice of cruise lines or ships.

I read that as well, then I thought to myself... Given that we are all aware that cabin stewards have more and more rooms to tend to, and waiters have more tables to serve (or so it seems) - what happened to all the space that such a move must have opened up?

I don't claim to have the numbers to back this up, and I do hand it to Carnival for coming up with a good "excuse" (I mean, on the surface - it makes perfect sense). I just don't buy it... nope, not for a minute.

Tom

I wanted to know abou that south african drink, strats with a A, ambula whatever .. how it tastes.

It;s pretty good. We bought 2 bottles over Thanksgiving . . . At the liquor tasting.

Your thinking of Amarula. It is a cream liquor made with a South African fruit. I am a bartender in a nice restaurant and we carried it for awhile. It was something that people either really liked of didn't. We never sold too much of it. Here is a link to it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amarula

As for the original topic....Of course, I read all the threads about the bands on lido becoming duets, etc. I also noticed the main bands getting smaller. I didn't give it too much thought until my recent RCCL cruise on Liberty of the Seas. Right away I noticed the full band out at the pool. They also had a nice big house band for all the shows. RCCL holds the Captain's party out in their Royal Promenade. The full band was out there playing and it was nice to listen to them up close. This doesn't show all of them but you get the idea:

068.jpg

I had not really noticed until another CC'er mentioned it to me a couple of months ago, but now I realize what he was talking about. His comment was how the number of band members has slowly been cut on Carnival - most notably with fewer brass players. Come to think of it, the last few bands I have seen on Carnival did not have a trumpet or trombone player.

I am curious as to the observations of other CC'ers.. Is it only "me" ??

Tom

The house band on the Pride last year was a good size, maybe 8 to 9 members but they did play to tracks that included instrumentation that wasn’t part of the band for the shows. Most people might not have realized this but being a weekend musician myself this was quite obvious. On a positive note when they played in other areas of the ship they sounded awesome, a great band.

I too would like to see larger groups but this seems to be the trend on several lines. I’m not a big fan of the one man band thing playing to recorded tracks but that too is now the norm.

The cuts will continue in order to keep the profit margin at acceptable levels.

Such is the way of businesses.

One thing they could cut out is the "hairiest chest" contest.

I have always found that to be rather cheesy and just weird.

The cuts will continue in order to keep the profit margin at acceptable levels.

Such is the way of businesses.

One thing they could cut out is the "hairiest chest" contest.

I have always found that to be rather cheesy and just weird.

How much money do you think Carnivals gonna save on this :rolleyes:.

Let me guess, ZIP.

How much money do you think Carnivals gonna save on this :rolleyes:.

Let me guess, ZIP.

Well, by cutting out the crew member that organizes the "pool games" times the number of ships in the fleet.

It might be quite a bit.

I would rather see those go than the bands.

Archived