Bring Meds on Ship?

fraserswoman

I'm resurrecting this old thread to get some clarrification.

Dad is coming on this cruise & takes lots of meds. None require needles & none are liquid. We will be flying to/from SJU. From what I have read our safest options are:

1. Put the meds in his regular 7 day planner & bring copies of the prescriptions.

2. Have the pharmacist print lables for baggies.

or

3. Have the pharmacist issues smaller bottles with a 7 day supply.

Even though the cruise is 7 days, I'm thinking we should travel with 8 days worth of meds. Does that sound reasonable?

Our pharmacist makes up smaller bottles for a couple of my DH's medications that he gets a 90 day supply of. We always take enough for 5 or 6 days extra - not planning on getting stranded somewhere along the way but it can happen.

I do like the idea of the baggies with a label though - we may check on that for our next cruise. Certainly would take up a bit less room.

You will not have any problems taking your daily dose boxes aboard the ship. As far as customs go, I have probably crossed the border between Canada and the US more than 3,000 times in the past 30 years and my meds have never been looked at by either customs authority. However I would recommend bringing copies of your prescriptions or a list of what you take just in case you need to see the ship's doctor.

I'm resurrecting this old thread to get some clarrification.

Dad is coming on this cruise & takes lots of meds. None require needles & none are liquid. We will be flying to/from SJU. From what I have read our safest options are:

1. Put the meds in his regular 7 day planner & bring copies of the prescriptions.

2. Have the pharmacist print lables for baggies.

or

3. Have the pharmacist issues smaller bottles with a 7 day supply.

Even though the cruise is 7 days, I'm thinking we should travel with 8 days worth of meds. Does that sound reasonable?

I would never travel with only one day's spare medications. Think 9-11 when people were stranded for days. Think of airport delays and flight cancellations where it can take two or three days to get home if your flight is cancelled.

We never travel with less than 5-6 extra days worth of meds.

I am uneasy with the baggies and/or 7 day pill carriers. If he must have those meds, he should be sure to carry them in such a way there is no risk of them being tossed out.

It DOES happen.

This is our first cruise in Jamuary, I take a lot of meds plus insulin. Do I need to bring all my bottles or is it ok to take just my weekly box.

Thanks for the help....:)

I didn't wish to take any chances and took all my husbands medications in their original bottles. They fit perfectly in a gallon ziplock bag that I put in my shoulder tote bag and carried with me.

I did bring his weekly med box and just filled it on the ship so it was easier for him to keep track, just like at home.

I know that some say it doesn't matter if you have the original bottles or not, but I couldn't take the chance that a novice employee would want to confiscate them.

Having the originals is easier to take with you then it is to worry about them.

Have a great time.

i take my weekly boxes and the bottles. If something were to happen and we were delayed getting home I would hate to have to try and have my meds refilled somewhere, not to mention how costly they would be. I do wish that the pharmacy would downsize some of their bottles sizes.

I think the problem with TSA is the fact that some individuals (too many in my opinion) suffer from a type of "mission creep".

TSA is supposed to keep weapons and terrorists off of aircraft to keep the flying public safe.

Some of the TSA employees also think they are DEA, ICE, Customs and FBI agents in addition to being TSA screeners. If they would simply do their job and let the other law enforcement agencies do theirs they would have a much better image with the American public.

I didn't wish to take any chances and took all my husbands medications in their original bottles. They fit perfectly in a gallon ziplock bag that I put in my shoulder tote bag and carried with me.

I did bring his weekly med box and just filled it on the ship so it was easier for him to keep track, just like at home.

I know that some say it doesn't matter if you have the original bottles or not, but I couldn't take the chance that a novice employee would want to confiscate them.

Having the originals is easier to take with you then it is to worry about them.

Have a great time.

That is exactly what I do. I put all DH's Rx in his carryon and my Rx in mine. I don't even take a chance on mixing them up in one ziploc lest an inspector doesn't like that idea. I play it as safe as I can. :o

in the event you need to quickly replace anything you do need the original container or at the very least a copy of the Rx.

SOME drugs are controlled substances and you cannot board a plane without them being in the orginal container( mine is one of them oh joy).

Could you provide the federal law that states you cannot get on an airplane without having a control prescription drug in the original container..

I don't think you can since it is not true.

But, provide the law reference and will apologize to you.

Since we have to fly -- I carry all DH's medications -- 17 of them -- in their original bottles. I also a take an extra weeks supply -- you never when something will happen.

And -- yes -- on a couple of occasions the medication bottles were checked by TSA.

I have a special small medical bag that I got years ago that I keep all the medications in and that goes into my carryon -- never checked at the airport or at the cruise ship terminal.

Could you provide the federal law that states you cannot get on an airplane without having a control prescription drug in the original container..

I don't think you can since it is not true.

But, provide the law reference and will apologize to you.

Speaking only for myself, I have no desire to be the person standing at the security area fighting with the authorities about Federal Law. I seriously doubt they are going to hear my legal argument in any favorable manner.

Each to their own. If you are a high risk taker, that's great. I am not.

We must have those medications with us or we cannot travel. I do everything in my power to make it possible for the security person to have no difficulty approving what we are bringing and the manner in which we are carrying it. There are times when you can be completely right but will fail in your effort. Make their job easy and (Hopefully) it will go easy on you. :)

Which would you rather be? The person who passess quickly through security and goes on their way or the person fighting with the security people about Federal Law and having them dump your meds?

Speaking only for myself, I have no desire to be the person standing at the security area fighting with the authorities about Federal Law. I seriously doubt they are going to hear my legal argument in any favorable manner.

Each to their own. If you are a high risk taker, that's great. I am not.

We must have those medications with us or we cannot travel. I do everything in my power to make it possible for the security person to have no difficulty approving what we are bringing and the manner in which we are carrying it. There are times when you can be completely right but will fail in your effort. Make their job easy and (Hopefully) it will go easy on you. :)

Which would you rather be? The person who passess quickly through security and goes on their way or the person fighting with the security people about Federal Law and having them dump your meds?

I would rather be a person that is not paranoid and knows the laws..

Could you explain what your response has to do with someone lying about a law?

People can do whatever they want about bringing medication, but I don't like when people make up laws and scary stories about TSA taking pills.

I have flown over 100 trips carrying a seven day pill box and have NEVER been asked about them.

If I was a person concerned about drug smuggling, I would look very close at bottles of vitamins, etc. that could be drugs. Do you know how easy it is to fake perception labels and bottles for smuggling?

Wow.....touchy subject 'round here.

My suggestion would be to answer the OP with their opinions based on real life experiences (which some people were doing). Then the OP could draw his/her conclusion based by weighing the risk vs. reward. After that he would be on his own; with the benefit of a few courteous CCrs' advice.

My opinion, FWIW, is that I will be taking all meds in current, original, pharmacy bottles packed my carry-on. I need to be 100% positive that my Nitroglycerin will be there when and if I need it immediately; no room for error.

Taking a weekly pill organizer to fill on board a great idea. Organization is even more important on vacation where there are many distractions and possible changes in sleep patterns.

So.....That is my opinion on the matter. I hope that someone will find it useful.

~M & M

Archived