Best cruise surprises

rafinmd

Just out of curiosity, have there been things that happened on a cruise that were totally unexpected and had no influence on your selection of the voyage but became cherished memories. I have not had many surprises from Cunard since I've done mostly crossings and there really isn't a lot there that's unpredictable but I'll start things off with one memory from my QV world segment:

Any others?

Roy

The food aboard any passenger ship is a thousand times better than the garbage disguised as food that is served aboard any airline and also the garbage disguised as food that is served in any high school cafeteria YUCK :eek: Regards,Jerry

The food aboard any passenger ship is a thousand times better than the garbage disguised as food that is served aboard any airline and also the garbage disguised as food that iserved in any high school cafeteria YUCK :eek: Regards,Jerry
I will also add that the garbage disguised as airline and high school cafeteria food is not even edible for even a dog to eat :eek: Regards,Jerry

Hi Roy, We are sailing on QV from Southampton - thanks for your interest. How poetic was Cruachan's quote? Very fitting for that superb photograph. Isobel

Sorry, I definitely can't claim credit for the quote. That belongs entirely to "The Real PM".

J

IT is simply gorgeous. I want to know where you were.

I can tell you because I was there as well. It was the last morning of a nine day cruise to Canada and it was not too far outside of New York. We got back late that morning because we were held up in Quebec City. So probably just before we turned for New York. It was the most phenominal sunrise that I have ever seen. But true to form, red in the morning, sailors warning and it was rainy and gray by the time we got to New York late morning. :)

I can tell you because I was there as well. It was the last morning of a nine day cruise to Canada and it was not too far outside of New York. We got back late that morning because we were held up in Quebec City. So probably just before we turned for New York. It was the most phenominal sunrise that I have ever seen. But true to form, red in the morning, sailors warning and it was rainy and gray by the time we got to New York late morning. :)

...and the little map below shows QM2's position at roughly the time the image was taken. Obviously I took several images over a period of around 20 minutes, but the position shown is from my GPS recorded roughly as the most spectacular phase of the sunrise was beginning.

000_qm2_posn.jpg

And here's one of the later shots (apologies to some, as this one has appeared on here before I think). The ship in silhouette is the Hapag Lloyd box boat Paris Express, inward for New York from Rotterdam.

J

DSC4092_sunrise_approaching_nyc.jpg

But you have now posted twice without answering the question.:D

This post is becoming so good with the memories you are sharing. Thank you -they make for some good reading and the sunset is breathtaking. Please keep them coming.The reason I posted without answering is that I have never sailed so I don't have any memories. That will change on 5th January when we set off from Southampton to Sydney. I hope to have hundreds of memories by the time I come home:)

Hi Gugi. Since you are anticipating your first voyage, perhaps you will appreciate my favorite first cruise memory: realizing that I did not get sea sick on the first voyage ...after 8 voyages since that first cruise in 2007 on QM2, it's been my good fortune never to have been sick. In fact, I've always felt so much better disembarking than I did when I boarded the ship. I've found that being on the sea restores the soul and heals the body. I wish the same for you.

Southampton to Sidney---what an exciting voyage. Looking forward to your posts.

Best wishes & Bon Voyage,

Salacia

...and the little map below shows QM2's position at roughly the time the image was taken. Obviously I took several images over a period of around 20 minutes, but the position shown is from my GPS recorded roughly as the most spectacular phase of the sunrise was beginning.

000_qm2_posn.jpg

And here's one of the later shots (apologies to some, as this one has appeared on here before I think). The ship in silhouette is the Hapag Lloyd box boat Paris Express, inward for New York from Rotterdam.

J

DSC4092_sunrise_approaching_nyc.jpg

Words fail...

Thank you. -Salacia

Hi Gugi. Since you are anticipating your first voyage, perhaps you will appreciate my favorite first cruise memory: realizing that I did not get sea sick on the first voyage ...after 8 voyages since that first cruise in 2007 on QM2, it's been my good fortune never to have been sick. In fact, I've always felt so much better disembarking than I did when I boarded the ship. I've found that being on the sea restores the soul and heals the body. I wish the same for you.

Salacia

What lovely thoughts you have passed on to me. Thank you. I have crossed the channel many times and in 1974 we had a force10 gale crossing from Hull to Europort. Stabilizers on ferries in those days weren't exactly efficient and I was fine. I am having positive thoughts against sea- sickness - Oh yes and I have my ginger and Stugerol at the ready!!!!!:):):)

What lovely thoughts you have passed on to me. Thank you. I have crossed the channel many times and in 1974 we had a force10 gale crossing from Hull to Europort. Stabilizers on ferries in those days weren't exactly efficient and I was fine. I am having positive thoughts against sea- sickness - Oh yes and I have my ginger and Stugerol at the ready!!!!!:):):)

Gosh, I did that journey many times in the seventies on my way to and from Germany when the battalion was with 12 Mech Bde in Osnabruck. The buffet on the old North Sea Ferries was good though!

J

Salacia

I would think that if you had done that, that you really have nothing to worry about. One of my only complaints about the Cunard ships is that there is too little movement. Just think about enjoying your lovely journey and don't ever worry about anything else. I am sure you will have a lovely time.

Gail:)

Thanks for your responses. We are so excited and we have got two cases packed already. They won't see the light of day until we at Fort Lauderdale. I have visions of spending my first few days ironing!! Hope we can see at least one lovely sunrise. Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year to all, Isobel

Gosh, I did that journey many times in the seventies on my way to and from Germany when the battalion was with 12 Mech Bde in Osnabruck. The buffet on the old North Sea Ferries was good though!

Wasn't it just. I think my husband and I and two friends were the only ones who had breakfast in the morning. Hope the food on the Queens will stand up to the food all that time ago. Isobel:D

Archived