Best cruise surprises

rafinmd

Just out of curiosity, have there been things that happened on a cruise that were totally unexpected and had no influence on your selection of the voyage but became cherished memories. I have not had many surprises from Cunard since I've done mostly crossings and there really isn't a lot there that's unpredictable but I'll start things off with one memory from my QV world segment:

The Kanheri Buddhist Caves date back from about 100BC through 1100AD, and there are over 100 caves in the complex. They are not true caves, although some probably started out as such and were enlarged to many times their original size. Most are fairly simple structures that served as dwellings for monks, but the first ones we encountered were massive temples with a huge Buddha inside and many elaborate carvings. They are set on a hill at elevations ranging from 385 to 675 feet, and there is a sort of "trail" running from one cave to the next, but the attraction is the cave/excavations rather than the trail. The site reminded me a lot of Petra on a smaller scale. It is not a WOW! like Petra, but I thought it was a legitimate Wow. I thought it was by far the best excursion of the voyage.

Any others?

Roy

The welcome we got on the QM2 in 2008 from the people of Hamburg as we sailed up the Rive Elbe. Lots of pleasure craft following us with people onboard shouting out to us. This was very late at night too.

The farewell we got on the QV this year from the singers of Rotterdam at the quayside.

Both very memorable.

I was on one of the ships in the Cunard fleet on one occasion, and no-one complained about the bloody bread rolls. It was memorable.

That was a surpise then, I always like those rolls, our waiter had some that were a little salty, yummy, a favorite on the QE2 im told

I was on one of the ships in the Cunard fleet on one occasion, and no-one complained about the bloody bread rolls. It was memorable.

image.php?u=355963&type=sigpic&dateline=1235204659

Wasn't this supposed to be a serious post? I am most disappointed in your response:p

Wasn't this supposed to be a serious post? I am most disappointed in your response:p

I think a little levity is always welcome.

I think a little levity is always welcome.

Levity is always welcome but it would be better if was accompanied with a reply to the question which was posted;)

But you have now posted twice without answering the question.:D

My answer - having a surprise party thrown by lovely friends to celebrate our wedding.

What in the OP's question indicates it is meant only to be grave and humorless? Everything is always more interesting with just a hint of humor. I have many "cherished memories" that are humorous, don't you?

Standing under the bridge on QE2 and being surprised by the sounding of her whistle 30 times! We were departing Southampton on her 30th anniversary. One blast for each year. Coudn't hear properly for a day but darn well worth it.:D

J.

Well, I am a deck rat and as lots of deck rats do, I get up before daylight. On my last cruise on the last day, I say the most magical sunrise, one that I had only envisioned in my dreams. I shall never forget it!!!:)

Would like to share my other favorite thing besides Cunard cruises and that is the UConn Huskies. And tonight the UConn women's basketball team achieved a tremendous feat by being the winningest NCAA team in history by beating Florida State 93-62. Congrats UConn women!:)

Well, I am a deck rat and as lots of deck rats do, I get up before daylight. On my last cruise on the last day, I say the most magical sunrise, one that I had only envisioned in my dreams. I shall never forget it!!!:)

Oh, I wonder which sunset you mean. Could it have been this one? ;)

J

001_DSC4086_sunrise_near_nyc.jpg

This post is becoming so good with the memories you are sharing. Thank you -they make for some good reading and the sunset is breathtaking. Please keep them coming.The reason I posted without answering is that I have never sailed so I don't have any memories. That will change on 5th January when we set off from Southampton to Sydney. I hope to have hundreds of memories by the time I come home:)

This post is becoming so good with the memories you are sharing. Thank you -they make for some good reading and the sunset is breathtaking. Please keep them coming.The reason I posted without answering is that I have never sailed so I don't have any memories. That will change on 5th January when we set off from Southampton to Sydney. I hope to have hundreds of memories by the time I come home:)

Which ship will you be on out of Southampton, QV or QE. I was originally planning on QE for the crossing but had to cancel. What a wonderful start for a first cruise.

PM and Crutchan, I'm an early bird on deck as well, having seen many sunrises, but what a fantastic picture.

Roy

PM and Crutchan, I'm an early bird on deck as well, having seen many sunrises, but what a fantastic picture.

Roy

Except that, in my usual inept and cack-handed fashion, I referred to it as a sunset. It was, of course, a sunrise! :D

J

Oh, I wonder which sunset you mean. Could it have been this one? ;)

J

001_DSC4086_sunrise_near_nyc.jpg

Yes I believe it is the one. And this is what I wrote about it over a year ago. It couldn't fit my dream any better, could it have?

"The entire view from the deck consisted of several hues of lavender. There was a wake formed from the ship’s erratic journey that had been etched into the sea. It was created of the lightest hue of lavender in the shape of an arc. Just above the horizon were the only other colors appearing as narrow ribbons of pastels in pinks and oranges and yellows that seemed to be gleefully strung across the sky. It was the most beautiful daybreak that I had ever witnessed. It was one of those moments again when I wished the moment would freeze .":)

Archived