Cairo questions

Wineart

We will be arriving 2 days in advance of our nile cruise, and would appeciate any tips on Cairo! Any recommendations on how to get from the Cairo airport to the Cairo Marriott would be also appreciated. We're seasoned travelers, but are a little nervous about Cairo taxis. We'd also appreciate input on tours that would supplement our nile cruise. We'd definitely like to spend extra time at the Cairo museum, and are also considering the step pyramid and bent pyramid since they're not part of our tour itinerary.

Uniworld provides transportation to and from the airport on the day of arrival and depart. However we are extending our trip by one night for a day trip to Alexandria. Therefore we are on our own for transportation to the airport. The best recommendation I found for airport transportation was in Frommer's Egypt. They recommend using the new all white taxis with a black strip (not the yellow cabs). These are government regulated and the fare is shown on the meter. I assume that they are available at the airport and that the Marriott can call one of these for your return. The fare to or from the airport should be around $20.

We will be arriving 2 days in advance of our nile cruise, and would appeciate any tips on Cairo! Any recommendations on how to get from the Cairo airport to the Cairo Marriott would be also appreciated. We're seasoned travelers, but are a little nervous about Cairo taxis. We'd also appreciate input on tours that would supplement our nile cruise. We'd definitely like to spend extra time at the Cairo museum, and are also considering the step pyramid and bent pyramid since they're not part of our tour itinerary.

The Marriott is great. You can take a taxi at the Airport, the Airport security will register your taxi number, name, passport number and destination for security purposes. Get a big Mercedes, or the biggest vehicle you can find for a taxi. The taxi ride will be an experience not unlike demolition derby.

As for tours in Cairo, there are many. Go the Memphis and Sakarra (step pyramids), the Egyptian Museum (you don't need a tour to go, but get a guide on your own). Also, I liked the light and sound show at the pyramids. Go during daytime for the pyramids, and be careful getting down from the camel if you go for a camel ride (also set the price prior to getting on the camel).

Don't eat anything sold on the street.

We've driven ourselves and/or caught public buses and trains in many part of the world, but wouldn't attempt either in Cairo. Crossing a road is an adrenalin rush!

I'd look for tour company that can provide an airport/hotel transfer and a guide/driver with air-con car to show you the extra places you want to see.

There are a few recommendations for Cairo tour companies on Cruise Critic's Africa and Middle East forum (scroll down on the Forum Jump below) and also on Trip Advisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com).

Enjoy!

We just returned from Uniworld Tour on the Tosca. We arrived two days early and stayed at the Ramses Hilton on the Executive floor. That was great! Free internet, daily breakfast in their Top of the World restaurant, and the executive lounge where they had complimentary drinks and dinner from 6-8:30 pm nightly. They also had a small selection of food items throughout the day and evening until 11 pm. And, I have never seen such fluffy Egyptian cotton towels!

We set up private tours with Ramses Tours (not related to the hotel) to Memphis and Sakkara, then the Sound and Light Show at the Pyramids one day, and the next day to Islamic and Coptic Cairo and Kahn el Kahalili bazaar, then we were dropped off at the Marriott to start our Uniworld tour. We had Amir as our guide, and Mahmut as our great driver! Both were very good, and enjoyable to be with. I don't think we would have ventured out on our own after seeing the traffic as none of us would have made it across the street! Envision 25 Million people, 4 lanes of traffic which 7 lanes of cars, busses, trucks and mules are crunched into, and I only saw 4 stoplights in the whole city. You NEED a local driver that is used to that!

We also used Ramses Tours for our airport to hotel transfer. For 4 of us it was $40. Did have a little difficulty finding them at the airport. Had to collect the luggage and start to go outside before finding them with a sign with our name. No problem after that.

We're also going to be on Uniworld's Tosca! I was considering booking either Ramses or Memphis for private tours, but am now leaning more toward Ramses since you gave them such a favorable review. I'll also ask them about transfers from the airport, I hadn't thought of that. Did you think that Uniworld allowed enough time for the Cairo museum on their tour? I was considering going there on our own as well because I was afraid that the Uniworld tour wasn't going to be sufficient.

Wineart - Well, I had to consult my travel companions on your question about the Egyptian Museum. I had a case of 'mummy's tummy' the day of the Uniworld tour to the pyramids and the Egyptian Museum. (By the way, make sure you get the medicine Antinal from a pharmacy as soon as you arrive in Egypt. Only can be purchased there. Our Ramses tour guide gave me a sleeve of it after I asked him to stop at a pharmacy the first day of our tour. It is the only medicine to work for that problem, so I am glad I already had it when I became sick! Many more on our tour became familiar with it as the week went on.)

Their answer to the museum questions was - it depends on how 'into' museums you are. Mohammed, our Uniworld guide/egyptologist, showed them the highlights of the museum. At the time they were there, it was busy, but no lines to see the Tut items. They also said that things are not well identified as a whole in the museum. It is quite unlike going to museums that have a written blurb to say what something is, and it's background. He said that he walked by many things because of that, after a while everything looks the same. Also, the lighting was poor and it was hot. He doesn't think they have put much money into upgrading, which would improve the experience. (Beware of the toilets, especially the womens) I know they said they were exhausted by the time they finished the tours that day. He said that the small museum at Sakkara was a much nicer museum in terms of air conditioning, cleanliness, displays and descriptions. Hope that helps!

We're also going to be on Uniworld's Tosca! I was considering booking either Ramses or Memphis for private tours, but am now leaning more toward Ramses since you gave them such a favorable review. I'll also ask them about transfers from the airport, I hadn't thought of that. Did you think that Uniworld allowed enough time for the Cairo museum on their tour? I was considering going there on our own as well because I was afraid that the Uniworld tour wasn't going to be sufficient.

If you are flying in early and staying at the same hotel (Cairo Marriott) then Uniworld will still handle your airport transfers. Those transfers are included as part of your trip price. We flew in a day early and Uniworld met us at the airport, brought us to the hotel, got us our room keys, and then told us when we should meet the Uniworld guide 2 days later in the lobby. We then used Ramses for that extra day and went to the Alabaster Mosque, Coptic Cairo, the Museum, and a papyrus place. Then went to the bazaar on our own that night (took a cab from the hotel - very easy).

Keep in mind that your Uniworld tour will include in Aswan a stop at a perfume/essence place and a papyrus place, so tell your Ramses or Memphis guide you do NOT want to go to those places. I wish we'd known in advance as it would have given us probably 2 more hours to do a little more sightseeing.

As for tours in Cairo, there are many. Go the Memphis and Sakarra (step pyramids), the Egyptian Museum (you don't need a tour to go, but get a guide on your own). Also, I liked the light and sound show at the pyramids. Go during daytime for the pyramids, and be careful getting down from the camel if you go for a camel ride (also set the price prior to getting on the camel).

Most important advice you'll get is don't eat anything sold on the street and especially don't buy water from anywhere except a hotel or person recommended by your tour guide. Get antinal upon arrival, but be very careful what you put in your mouth especially water from anything other than a bottle that you heard go "pssst" when it was opened; keep your mouth shut in the shower; use bottled water to brush your teeth and wash your tooth brush and only eat fruits/vegetables that can't be peeled if you're in a hotel restaurant, on the ship or someplace where your tour manager tells you it's ok. Bring disposable face masks if you have any kind of allergies or breathing problems, there's very fine sand in the air everywhere! And you might want to bring a zip lock bag with kleenex, wet wipes and toilet paper when you're out visiting the sights.

We did Memphis and Sakkara and they were wonderful. Don't know what's included on your tour, but here are some other suggestions: Old Cairo and the Hanging Church in Cairo not to be missed; the Citadel was also spectacular. As for the Egyptian Museum, my husband went with the tour guide and I went on my own. I took the virtual tour of the museum(google it) and wrote down the things I wanted to see and where they were located. I may have missed some of the important things, but I saw everything I was interested in and more.

Listen to the poster who advised about the traffic. I don't care where you live or where in the world you've been, there is NOTHING to compare to traffic in Cairo!!!:D Don't attempt to cross the street unless you're with a crowd of people.

I also recommend seeing the Hanging Church. It was very interesting. We also went to the Khan el Khalil when we were in Egypt. If you venture here, be very careful about going down some of the side streets. It is a massive Khan and very easy to get lost / disorientated.

I highly concur with keeping your mouth closed in the shower. Do not eat any salads!! Only eat fruit that has a rind or can be peeled.

If you haven't read about paying baksheesh, make sure you are aware of this custom. Here is a link to a site that explains the custom: http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/baksheesh.htm. You basically need to pay to use the restrooms everywhere. Also, take your own toilet paper or wet wipes. You will definitely need these. You also tip about anyone who performs any service for you.

I did Egypt as part of a General Tours package and they handled all of our transport / transfers. Our guide, Essam, commented that Egyptians consider the lines on road decoration only and they have nothing to do with driving. The roads are either decorated or undecorated. Also, do not get on a sharing taxi / bus. These are ripe for pickpockets.

Be very aware of your surroundings and you will have a great time. This was a once in a lifetime trip for me.

I also recommend seeing the Hanging Church. It was very interesting. We also went to the Khan el Khalil when we were in Egypt. If you venture here, be very careful about going down some of the side streets. It is a massive Khan and very easy to get lost / disorientated.

I highly concur with keeping your mouth closed in the shower. Do not eat any salads!! Only eat fruit that has a rind or can be peeled.

If you haven't read about paying baksheesh, make sure you are aware of this custom. Here is a link to a site that explains the custom: http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/baksheesh.htm. You basically need to pay to use the restrooms everywhere. Also, take your own toilet paper or wet wipes. You will definitely need these. You also tip about anyone who performs any service for you.

I did Egypt as part of a General Tours package and they handled all of our transport / transfers. Our guide, Essam, commented that Egyptians consider the lines on road decoration only and they have nothing to do with driving. The roads are either decorated or undecorated. Also, do not get on a sharing taxi / bus. These are ripe for pickpockets.

Be very aware of your surroundings and you will have a great time. This was a once in a lifetime trip for me.

Very good advice! We were part of a package tour as well and had a wonderful guide, Maged, who told us the same thing about the roads! We were warned by Frommers about the sharing buses....people will literally be hanging off them. Oh and when we talk about traffic on the roads in Cairo, we're not just talking about cars....you also have people herding cattle and goats and donkey carts and bicycles! Baksheesh is a major source of income for many people so please don't try to cheat them! We found $1.00 US got us very good treatment from everybody, including extra toilet paper! I do heartily recommend that you bring handi-wipes and tp because sometimes 4 sheets just isn't enough!!:D Check out Magellans.com for excellent travel pack at a reasonable price. (no, I don't work for them)

If you are staying at the Marriott then the salads are safe to eat. We were assured by our TD that only spring water was used at the Marriott and on the boats we were on [La Boheme on the Nile and Prince Abbas on Lake Nasser]. Spring Tours in Cairo is the agency Insight uses in Egypt so I would suggest you use them for extras. On our tour with Insight the only woman who was sick had eaten off the boat and from a street vendor [and I believe it was chocolate of some kind].

Take your own toilet wipes and hand wash.

If you read the Tour Tales on Insight's Travel Forum page you will find no end of information regarding the sites. Of course all these sites are included on their tours but you will learn what impressed the most.

Telopea thanks for the info on the Marriott. We will also be doing Prince Abbas on Lake Nasser.

We are on a Uniworld cruise/tour and I don't think we will need any extra tours or guides. They will keep us quite busy and I will need rest time to catch all my thoughts and maybe even put some on paper. If we want extra tours I am sure our guide/Egyptologist can help us secure it.

I will be taking W/C packets I got from Magellon. DH will purchase hand wipes from Amazon.com. I have even put a roll of TP in my collection of items to take.

Thanks to all for the helpful hints. Since this is not a big cruise ship this kind of travel is new to us.

Norine

Most important advice you'll get is don't eat anything sold on the street and especially don't buy water from anywhere except a hotel or person recommended by your tour guide. Get antinal upon arrival, but be very careful what you put in your mouth especially water from anything other than a bottle that you heard go "pssst" when it was opened; keep your mouth shut in the shower; use bottled water to brush your teeth and wash your tooth brush and only eat fruits/vegetables that can't be peeled if you're in a hotel restaurant, on the ship or someplace where your tour manager tells you it's ok. Bring disposable face masks if you have any kind of allergies or breathing problems, there's very fine sand in the air everywhere! And you might want to bring a zip lock bag with kleenex, wet wipes and toilet paper when you're out visiting the sights.

We did Memphis and Sakkara and they were wonderful. Don't know what's included on your tour, but here are some other suggestions: Old Cairo and the Hanging Church in Cairo not to be missed; the Citadel was also spectacular. As for the Egyptian Museum, my husband went with the tour guide and I went on my own. I took the virtual tour of the museum(google it) and wrote down the things I wanted to see and where they were located. I may have missed some of the important things, but I saw everything I was interested in and more.

Listen to the poster who advised about the traffic. I don't care where you live or where in the world you've been, there is NOTHING to compare to traffic in Cairo!!!:D Don't attempt to cross the street unless you're with a crowd of people.

Ditto that remark on the traffic in Cairo. The traffic in any Middle East City is similar, but Cairo has few traffic signals. The right of way is generally who gets to the intersection first. Also, the locals generally exert their manhood while driving, so defensive driving and walking is the way to go.

Also, be careful what vehicle you travel in. I prefer a large bus in Egypt, sitting in the middle of the bus.

We just did 15 day tour of Egypt with Gate 1. Amazing trip !

My best piece of advice is " go with the flow " meaning don't worry if something goes differently than originally planned. Or if the schedule is worked into a different order etc...... things happen (or don't ;)) in Egypt and it is not always a bad thing for things to get changed up. I am the trip planner and like to have it all tied up nice and neat...... but I learned on this trip to just enjoy and be amazed at the unbelievable experiences and relax and let someone else take the lead. Of course you won't really have alot of time to really "relax" as they keep you going full speed. So much to do and see and so little time :D

When we arrived we were informed our ship had been changed. :eek: Due to mechanical difficulties with our original ship we had been changed to another. Before we all (there were 11 of us on our tour) freaked out, our guide told us it was a better ship. In actuality it was a mostly lateral move in all but the food - which he insisted was better. Since he was spot on about EVERYTHING else and was such a superb guide, he was probably right. He changed some of our schedule around too. Since ours was such a small group he had more leeway in such matters. He worked some days so that our sites had less people and he took us on many outings on his own time (not an excursion we paid for) such as to a shisha bar, extra bazaar shopping forays, the Luxor museum etc etc. Way above and beyond.

So go, enjoy Egypt. It is like no other place on earth !

Quilting Queen,Just iterating check out the Tour Tales on Insight's website....Oz Johnno was on the Jewels of the Nile, Lake Nasser and Abu Simbel before we did that trip. Look for his tale as well as Bellbird's Tour Tale over 3 parts- lots of very useful info.

Egypt is wonderful!

Archived