International Cafe: What foods can you get?

Cruisin' Chick

I have never sailed on a ship with a International Cafe.

I do know in the Horizon Court there are salads fruit and deserts but cannot partake of anything savoury or most of the sandwiches. Even pizza is out for me these days.

It would be great if they do offer this service even if one has to ask a day in advance.

Casi someone describe the famous chicken salad? Is it mayo-based? What makes it different from other chicken salads? Hope this isn't too silly LOL.

The chicken salad is mayo based, unfortunately, if that's an issue for you. What makes it special is the seasoning they use, and the cashews. I don't know what all it is, but it's WONDERFUL!

As for seating, as mentioned above, this is not intended to be a formal dining venue such as the restaurants, dining rooms or Horizon Court, but more a place for a light snack. The seating is definitely limited, however we've never really had a problem finding seating either at the comfortable chairs in the Piazza area proper (the most desirable it appears) or in the coffee bar area or at the coffee bar, itself, or even at Vines. We've also snacked standing while watching the performers in the Piazza, but have rarely had to resort to that.

As for the charge for the gelato, I've heard many reasons for this, but basically it seems that it's treated like the specialty coffees: the regular ice cream (and coffee) are complimentary, but they decided to charge a fee for the relatively more expensive specialty coffee and gelato. I have also heard that it is to discourage waste. I don't know about the specialty coffee, but I've been told that when the IC premiered, the gelato was free but was abused and a lot was wasted and, therefore, a nominal fee was added to help discourage this.

For us at least, $1.50 for 3 scoops is really a rather minor expense and well worth the cost for what you get.

Is it easy to get a seat here for lunch ? What's the seating capacity? We are on the Star in Feb and this will be our frst IC experience. It sounds wonderful.

I can't understand why there's a small charge for gelato, when ice-cream is free?

We spent 23 days on the Star last last February/March and you will enjoy her and the South America itinerary - wish we were going with you! You pick up your food at the International Cafe counter and eat anywhere you like. If you look at the Plaza Deck Five plan you will see that you can sit at tables in the Lobby Bar, many tables in The Piazza or also in the Vines Bar area. We never had a problem finding somewhere to sit but is does get crowded when there are entertainers in The Piazza. On the retrofitted ships including the Golden and the Star there is no gelato but we did not miss it.

The fresh baked cookies are to die for :) In the evening people would lineup to get them warm out of the oven, I know I was hooked on them

The fresh baked cookies are also available around the pool around 3:30PM and in Horizon court on almost all the ships....a employee dressed in all white with a soda jerk hat that says "MILK", with a cart, will offer passenger fresh cookies & milk

mentioned items free? Or is there a fee for any of them?

Most items are free

Casi someone describe the famous chicken salad? Is it mayo-based? What makes it different from other chicken salads? Hope this isn't too silly LOL.

The waldorf chicken salad base is a combination of coconut milk, mayo and yogurt (equal parts) ....love the toasted toasted cashews in the salad too.... I just made it the other day for dinner ....if you do a search, you will find the recipe from Princess on cruise critic

Unfortunately not. IC only on Golden, Star, Caribbean, Crown, Emerald and Ruby at this time. Is supposed to be added to Grand, Sapphire and Diamond during future drydocks.

I hope you are right. Will the Diamond be going in for drydock before May 2011? We will be on her then and would love to try the IC we have heard so many good reports. :D

I hope you are right. Will the Diamond be going in for drydock before May 2011? We will be on her then and would love to try the IC we have heard so many good reports. :D
Unfortunately the Diamond just completed her last drydock on November 3rd. She currently has no further drydock scheduled through the end of 2012.

Is it easy to get a seat here for lunch ? What's the seating capacity? We are on the Star in Feb and this will be our frst IC experience. It sounds wonderful.

I can't understand why there's a small charge for gelato, when ice-cream is free?

sometimes we went there and got a plate of food and took it back to our room to eat on our balcony......

The tuna paninis.... oh my... I think I grabbed one almost everytime I passed by...

My mum loved the cheesecake they had....

I loved the tiramisu....

My mum also liked the chicken salad, I liked the greek but never got enough of the HUGE chunks of feta for my liking, so I stuck with my delicious tuna sammies.

never got around the trying the gelato on the crown - I ate it in Spain and Italy instead lol

I am a little sad that there is no IC on my next cruise... but still way more happy that I HAVE a next cruise...

still I look forward to my next cruise with IC

Isn't gelato and ice cream the same thing?

Isn't gelato and ice cream the same thing?

Gelato is an Italian style of ice cream. It's typically a bit lower in fat than American style ice cream, but has a smoother, thicker, almost taffy-like consistency due to the way it's churned (they allow less air to get whipped in). When it's served from a counter (as opposed to being purchased from a freezer case), it's also not frozen as hard as American ice cream, which contributes to the creamy texture. I find that gelato also tends to be more intensely flavored than American ice cream, both due to the way it's made and because the lower fat content and higher temperature keep your tongue from getting coated with cold butterfat while you eat it, leaving your tastebuds open to the flavoring in the gelato rather than the fat.

The chicken salad is mayo based, unfortunately, if that's an issue for you. What makes it special is the seasoning they use, and the cashews. I don't know what all it is, but it's WONDERFUL!

As for seating, as mentioned above, this is not intended to be a formal dining venue such as the restaurants, dining rooms or Horizon Court, but more a place for a light snack. The seating is definitely limited, however we've never really had a problem finding seating either at the comfortable chairs in the Piazza area proper (the most desirable it appears) or in the coffee bar area or at the coffee bar, itself, or even at Vines. We've also snacked standing while watching the performers in the Piazza, but have rarely had to resort to that.

As for the charge for the gelato, I've heard many reasons for this, but basically it seems that it's treated like the specialty coffees: the regular ice cream (and coffee) are complimentary, but they decided to charge a fee for the relatively more expensive specialty coffee and gelato. I have also heard that it is to discourage waste. I don't know about the specialty coffee, but I've been told that when the IC premiered, the gelato was free but was abused and a lot was wasted and, therefore, a nominal fee was added to help discourage this.

For us at least, $1.50 for 3 scoops is really a rather minor expense and well worth the cost for what you get.

Thanks for the enlightening reply. Shame I will miss out on the gelato. I hope Princess never remove sorbet from the menu in the MDR. That's another favourite. This chicken salad intrigues me as well as I've heard a lot about it on the boards.

i can't believe no one has mentioned the tiramisu which is served in shot glasses. It is to die for and is the first thing my dh and i stop and get as we enter the ship right by the ic. It is how we like to start off the cruise.

droolll!

Archived