Freezing Imagination of the Seas

tallnjkris

I suspect that you're referring to the Imagination.

Yep, it's true that heat is not available in the cabin on the Fantasy class ships. They were meant to sail in the 'warm' Caribbean sun!

Here's a shot of the 'temperature controller' on the Ecstasy... another Fantasy Class ship...

Ecstasy101.jpg

In reality, all it does is control air flow into the cabin from the chillers...

:)

Yep, it's true that heat is not available in the cabin on the Fantasy class ships. They were meant to sail in the 'warm' Caribbean sun!

Here's a shot of the 'temperature controller' on the Ecstasy... another Fantasy Class ship...

Ecstasy101.jpg

I love how you have pictures of EVERYTHING.:D

Ecstasy101.jpg

You are absolutely correct about the chillers the ships with heating has FTU (fan terminal units) with heat strips inside all it is is a pneumatically controlled damper that controls air flow I remember the first time I worked on a chiller on a cruise ship I thought it was so cool they used sea water to run through the chiller tubes

First time I've thought a cabin was cold was in our PT cabin on our cruise last month on the Imagination. And we are from MN!

Though to be fair we usually have had aft balconies which I have read tend to be warm in general. Usually can't get those cool enough.

I thought about shoving a pillow into the vent to see if that would help but didn't get around to it. ;)

We got off the Sensation a week ago and it was cold (in the 40's) when we embarked. Our cabin was too cold for us so we closed a couple of the vents but the last one would not close. We called maintenance and they took the cover off to close it. That stopped the air from blowing and our cabin did warm up after that.

On the Paradise we left the vent open the first night. By morning the room was below 60. Rather, according to the ship the outside air was 60, and we stepped outside to warm up.

If your port of origin is cold it would be a good idea to close the vent as soon as you get into the room. After we did that it was fine.

You are absolutely correct about the chillers the ships with heating has FTU (fan terminal units) with heat strips inside all it is is a pneumatically controlled damper that controls air flow I remember the first time I worked on a chiller on a cruise ship I thought it was so cool they used sea water to run through the chiller tubes

Fresh "chill water" was the sourse of cooling. I worked on those while in NAVY back in 80s-90s. It used freion on the main unit, but sea water was used for the condensor to control the temp of freon.

I thought about shoving a pillow into the vent to see if that would help but didn't get around to it. ;)

Please don't do that. Some idiot prior to one of my previous cruises on the Triumph did that (actually they used towels). I checked into the cabin and it was burning up. The vent control operation did not work. Maint. had to come to the cabin take the cover down and remove three towels stuffed up the pipe. Bone head move and very inconsiderated on the part of the previous passangers. If they had an issue all they had to do was call and ask for assistance in turning the vent off.

Unlike your experience we sailed on the Pride out of Baltimore last Feb. and the outside temp was 8 degrees but our cabin was too hot. We had to prop the balcony door open the first night to cool down the room. The maintenance guy said that while in port at Baltimore they put the system in to “heat” mode and there was no mix of air conditioning available and that once they got moving it would be better controlled and it was. Had we had an inside cabin we would have been very warm indeed. A great cruise other that the heat issue the first evening. If you live on the east coast and want an inexpensive cruise (no air fare) give the Pride a look. They had great shows and food. They offer plenty to do on board while in the cooler northern areas of the cruise too. One of our best for sure.

We leave on the Fascination on Christmas day traveling with my Mother-in-Law who is cold natured. I sure hope the inside staterooms on the Empress deck will be warm enough for her. I guess I never thought about them not having any type of heat.

we just got off the imagination on Friday 12/17. It was cold cold cold on Monday and Tuesday, we had the owner's suite! They told us that the room did have heat control and indeed it showed that it was cranked up all the way to top level of heat BUT no heat EVER came out.....it was freezing even in the owner's suite, my DD who were down on the upper deck in and inside cabin said they just turned off the air completely and they were very comfortable. The owner's suite has huge ceiling to floor windows all along the master bedroom and living room area so it stayed super COLD for the first 2 nights! I don't think they had any HEAT control in the owner's suite at all just the controls for it LOL!!!

Archived