La Paz Excursion

Miss Amber

I just got off the Spirit last night...my best advice for this port is to plan ahead! If you are going to book an excursion at any of your stops, this is the port to do it.

This was the one port that we did not have anything planned and needless to say we found ourselves riding on a bus and walking the majority of the day.

Right after we set sail (day 1) we went to the shore excursion desk and all but one snorkeling excursion had already sold out. I really wanted to do the whale sharks, but NO LUCK so I thought I'd try the sea lion snorkel...nope, that wasn't available either. The only other "snorkel" was $100 and not something I was willing to pay to "just snorkel" (in hindsight, we probably should have went ahead and booked it). I honestly thought that we'd be able to get to either the beach or city and find something. That wasn't the case.

From what I understand (what others have told me), La Paz is a pretty new port (only been a stop for cruise ships for a couple of years) so they aren't set up the same way that Cabo and Mazatlan were - you wont have people coming up to you asking you to buy things or offering excursions. We saw one guy who did offer a "whale shark tour" (he explained that you wouldn't get to touch or swim with them, just see them from the boat) or a "city tour".

Each was pretty reasonable ($25) and was suppose to last about an hour. We didn't opt to accept simply because you just never know who or what you are getting yourself into when you accept tours from some "joe" off the street. It probably would have turned out fine, but Mexico (and myself not being fluent in Spanish) isn't the place to find out.

I have friends who just walked around exploring in La Paz.

They said they quite enjoyed it because it was more traditional than other more well known ports.

We usually don't make plans in each port and just explore but the kayaking sounded interesting to me.

I'll be looking forward to reviews from folks who did it here.

Archived