Disclosing Age Demographic Before Booking

SWLinPHX

I had a question that I don't know (or think) anyone has addressed yet. When spending substantial money on a cruise it is of course important that one enjoys an experience that suits their taste. As we know, that depends on budget, cruise line, ship, time of year, itinerary, port of embarkation, length of cruise, etc. These are all things one can determine before making a decision and investing their money.

However, I find general atmosphere and demographic of fellow passengers to be just as important, notably by how often it is regularly discussed in these forums. Personally, I think a varied age group (young and old alike) is best for a complete experience, although I can see why seniors cruising would not want to be around rowdy party animals, romantic couples may not want to be surrounded by lots of rambunctious children, and younger cruisers & singles may not want to feel like they're on a floating nursing home at sea. There's nothing worse than spending a good deal of money, anticipating the weeks or months, then once aboard realizing you are completely out of your element when it comes to fellow passengers. Suddenly you may feel a little disheartened. And before everyone says you can determine this by cruise line and length of cruise and time of year, I do realize that is a huge factor; it is just not always the case. There may be special interest groups aboard a particular cruise or business conventions, etc. And sometimes there is just that deviation from the norm.

Here then, is my question: Since all cruise lines and booking agents ask birth dates (ages) upon booking anyway, why can't they disclose a current running age demographic which is constantly evolving until the ship is fully booked? How hard would it be for the cruise line to simply show you at the time of booking what percentage of each age group has booked already? They could easily break down ages graphically into categories such as: 0-12, 13-20, 21-30, 31-40, 41-50, 51-64, and 65+. This discloses no private information yet in my opinion is just as helpful to know as other key things one would find out before booking. I have had an experience where in my early 30's I was stuck 6 days at sea (not even in pool weather) with my friend and I, two young honeymooning couples in their 20's, and everyone else well over 65. This is not a complaint, just recognizing that while it is great to associate with all ages, one may want to rest assured they are not small minority in their age group. Any ideas or feedback about this? Do you know why this isn't or can't be disclosed in advance? :confused:

I think any good travel agent, while perhaps not giving you a statistical breakdown of what to expect, can give you a general sense of the kinds of passengers you'll encounter. Mine did. For example, she told us that Carnival catered to younger people, and/or people who liked to party, spent time in discos, late night activities, whereas Princess was more subdued...that sort of information...and then left it up to us to make a decision. And of course we came here and read about the various lines, and what to expect.

But since every cruise we've been on, regardless of the line (with the exception of Hurtigruten, where there were no children), there were people of all ages, all levels of activity, all levels of interest. So I don't think that the kind of information you're seeking would really be all that helpful.

Well as I said in my post, I did have that very issue happen to me on a RCCL cruise across the Pacific to Hawaii from Vancouver. Although you say you can get an idea of the age group (which as I said I don't deny), you can't account for specific sailings that might vary and be a rare draw or turn-off. And if they have the information, the question is why not disclose it?

frankly I'd think its none of your business who else is cruising.

any good TA will steer you toward the most ideal experience if you tell them what you are into. for instance we are middle aged, no kids, don't do the party/late night disco scene. yet our best cruise experience to date has been on DISNEY. becuase quite frankly they do the best at keeping the rug rats out of sight and out of mind while offering conservative adult distractions..

seems to me like you are a bit elitist by your tone of posting. all you need is a little bit of personal research and you can get a good vibe on each cruise line.

Wow, wanting to be sure there are some people your own age is "elitist" to you? I was very clear that it has nothing to do with anything against any specific age groups. And I completely disagree: When you are spending a good deal of money it is every bit your business what kind of environment or demographic you can expect.

...I in turn must say you sound very judgmental and self-righteous, but to each his own. :)

Wow, wanting to be sure there are some people your own age is "elitist" to you? I was very clear that it has nothing to do with anything against any specific age groups. And I completely disagree: When you are spending a good deal of money it is every bit your business what kind of environment or demographic you can expect.

...I in turn must say you sound very judgmental and self-righteous, but to each his own. :)

No, it actually is none of your business to know how old other passengers are. If the cruise line divulged this information, they would be breaching the privacy of their passengers.

It might be interesting to know the age demographics.

It might also be interesting to know to home country of the passengers.

It might be interesting to know what special interest groups are booked.

Cruises can be altered by factors other than age.

Though I'd be interested, I do not expect the cruise line to disclose this information. Doing so could only create problems. What if one checked the demographics and booked a cruise with lots of 25 - 35 year olds. You make final payment, but a huge group decides to cancel. Suddenly, the cruise line needs to sell cabins and the age demographis shifts toward senior or kids or whatever. Do you have grounds to complain or cancel?

When trying to guess the demographic, ask not just which cruise line, but what length cruise (longer cruises tend to draw more retirees). Also consider the dates (are schools in session? Is it storm season?). consider the itinerary (Canada cruises tend to draw an older crowd than Bermuda for example).

I hear what you're saying and, yes, it would be interesting to know the approximate ages that might be onboard. I think it would have more impact on me to know what type of 'groups' are onboard, especially if it's a large group. I know now not to go during spring break, summer vacations, holidays. Yep, experience is a good teacher.:D

No, it actually is none of your business to know how old other passengers are. If the cruise line divulged this information, they would be breaching the privacy of their passengers.

I completely disagree: When you are spending a good deal of money it is every bit your business or understandable to want to know (as the previous posters have indicated) what kind of environment or demographic you can expect. Should there be no special interest cruises then? I mean, what does it matter if the others are single, gay, into sci fi, etc.? Why do they even have those? No need to get bitchy with me Celle, thanks.

Though I'd be interested, I do not expect the cruise line to disclose this information. Doing so could only create problems. What if one checked the demographics and booked a cruise with lots of 25 - 35 year olds. You make final payment, but a huge group decides to cancel. Suddenly, the cruise line needs to sell cabins and the age demographis shifts toward senior or kids or whatever. Do you have grounds to complain or cancel?

When trying to guess the demographic, ask not just which cruise line, but what length cruise (longer cruises tend to draw more retirees). Also consider the dates (are schools in session? Is it storm season?). consider the itinerary (Canada cruises tend to draw an older crowd than Bermuda for example).

I see your point about the last-minute changes but people cannot cancel now last-minute anyway and would not be allowed to. Just like they take their chances when booking and find out last-minute when they board, the same goes for this case. People would know there's a chance the demographic could change and that once they book there is no refunds after a certain point. That wouldn't change, but at least people would have a much better idea what to expect than the way it is now.

I hear what you're saying and, yes, it would be interesting to know the approximate ages that might be onboard. I think it would have more impact on me to know what type of 'groups' are onboard, especially if it's a large group. I know now not to go during spring break, summer vacations, holidays. Yep, experience is a good teacher.:D

Usually it is good to rely on the odds, but as I was saying it's not always that cut & dry if there's special groups, celebrations or events (fraternity cruise party?). And in my case, I am taking a 10-day Caribbean cruise on Celebrity. Should I assume it will be all older people because it is longer than 7 days, during school season and on Celebrity or should I imagine it'll be a good deal of young ones as well since it is not a real long trans-ocean 12-14 day cruise, it's in the Caribbean and Celebrity does not have the same reputation as Holland America or the luxury cruises??

I will be disappointed if we are the oldest or youngest ones either way. I don't want to be either extreme or feel like I stand out or am in the wrong group ...who would?

I completely disagree: When you are spending a good deal of money it is every bit your business or understandable to want to know (as the previous posters have indicated) what kind of environment or demographic you can expect. Should there be no special interest cruises then? I mean, what does it matter if the others are single, gay, into sci fi, etc.? Why do they even have those? No need to get bitchy with me Celle, thanks.

I'm not getting bitchy with you, just disagreeing.

Where I live, there is a law called the Privacy Act. Under the terms of that Act, no-one has the right to divulge information about me without first obtaining my consent. Even my husband of 40 years is not allowed to be given information about my health matters unless I am present, or give my written consent.

So, I absolutely believe that you have no right to know anything about me - not my age, my sex, my race, my sexual orientation, my hobbies or interests - unless I choose to tell you.

I see no valid reason for the cruise lines to divulge my personal information just to enhance your cruising experience!

I'm not getting bitchy with you, just disagreeing.

Where I live, there is a law called the Privacy Act. Under the terms of that Act, no-one has the right to divulge information about me without first obtaining my consent. Even my husband of 40 years is not allowed to be given information about my health matters unless I am present, or give my written consent.

So, I absolutely believe that you have no right to know anything about me - not my age, my sex, my race, my sexual orientation, my hobbies or interests - unless I choose to tell you.

I see no valid reason for the cruise lines to divulge my personal information just to enhance your cruising experience!

I absolutely agree... no one should be able to divulge personal information about you personally. Unfortunately your argument has absolutely nothing to do with what I was talking about; never once did I talk about divulging personal information of any one passenger or family; that implies identifying who you're talking about obviously. I suggest you re-read the posts before jumping down people's throats about something totally different. No one else here seemed to have any trouble understanding my question or what I was suggesting. Perhaps you are unfamiliar with how polls, the U.S. census or statistics work; they divulge information about a topic, the nation or a range of numbers. I don't know what you are talking about going on about your "hobbies, race, interests, orientation", etc. (no offense, but to think I'm interested in you and your life is rather laughable). If you're looking for an argument, at least be sure it's regarding the topic we are discussing. Re-reading my initial post and clear, reasonable explanation your hostility and tone seems highly unwarranted and misplaced.

I absolutely agree... no one should be able to divulge personal information about you personally. Unfortunately your argument has absolutely nothing to do with what I was talking about; never once did I talk about divulging personal information of any one passenger or family; that implies identifying who you're talking about obviously. I suggest you re-read the posts before jumping down people's throats about something totally different. No one else here seemed to have any trouble understanding my question or what I was suggesting. Perhaps you are unfamiliar with how polls, the U.S. census or statistics work; they divulge information about a topic, the nation or a range of numbers. I don't know what you are talking about going on about your "hobbies, race, interests, orientation", etc. (no offense, but to think I'm interested in you and your life is rather laughable). If you're looking for an argument, at least be sure it's regarding the topic we are discussing. Re-reading my initial post and clear, reasonable explanation your hostility and tone seems highly unwarranted and misplaced.

I did re-read the entire thread.

I'm not jumping down your throat and I'm not hostile to you. I just disagree with you and I am entitled to express my opinion.

Even though I'm not American, I do understand how polls and censuses work - we do have them in my country, too!! :rolleyes:

I understand that you just want general information, such as "there will be x number of cruisers in the 40 to 80 age group". What I'm saying is that I don't want my information included, even in that generalized information. There could be dangers associated with the release of even generalized information.

Have a think about this: if the cruise line told you, as a potential passenger, that there would be approximately 400 families on board with children aged between 6 months and 10 years, how would you react? If you thought your cruise could be spoiled by 400+ disruptive children, you probably would decide not to book. If you belonged to one of those families, you might be happy to think that your children would have plenty of potential playmates on board.

But what if that potential cruiser was a pedophile and your children would be on board? Would you be happy then to have that generalized information released?

See why I think it's a bad idea?

I understand that you just want general information, such as "there will be x number of cruisers in the 40 to 80 age group". What I'm saying is that I don't want my information included, even in that generalized information. There could be dangers associated with the release of even generalized information.

Anyone, including you, can choose to call anything "private" if they want to, but there are rules, guidelines and precedents. You can say you should not be on security cameras because you don't want people to know when you are at a certain place. Or you should not have to partake in a census because it's no one's business who lives in your home. That is actually more personal information yet are completely accepted and routine. General statistical information is not "your" information. In order for something to be about "you" then "you" need to be named. If I just said "there was a 50 year old onboard" then whose information did I give out?? Your example holds no water, I'm sorry. If you wish to discuss someone giving out your information, please explain where that applies or start a thread about that topic, maybe entitled: "I Resent Cruise Lines Asking My Age When I Book Under My Name And Address". But if you are saying that a ship disclosing that there were 20% senior citizen, 30% children and the other 50% were neither minors or seniors that then your information is somehow being "violated" and is "dangerous", that is something so ridiculous I don't even need to explain to anyone reading this. You're either pulling my leg or else it is paranoia on a whole level I never knew existed. Since I started this topic and know the intent and have explained the premise, I respectively ask that you please comment on what I am talking about, not some deluded notion that has nothing to do with this but that you insist on pursuing in a blustery tone and exclamation points with lines like "You have no right!" and "It's none of your business!".

Have a think about this: if the cruise line told you, as a potential passenger, that there would be approximately 400 families on board with children aged between 6 months and 10 years, how would you react? If you thought your cruise could be spoiled by 400+ disruptive children, you probably would decide not to book. If you belonged to one of those families, you might be happy to think that your children would have plenty of potential playmates on board.

But what if that potential cruiser was a pedophile and your children would be on board? Would you be happy then to have that generalized information released?

See why I think it's a bad idea?

LOL, not at all. In fact you at first demonstrated my whole point by explaining how people would want to know the demographics and yet another way they might be helpful (playmates for the children so they won't get bored -- another good example, thanks), then go on to say if there's a chance children might be somewhere that is a "danger because of pedophiles", LOL. PLEASE tell me you are joking on this one, we could all use a good laugh. But before you do, be sure to close down all schools because pedophiles know there "might" be kids there and for that matter don't allow kids in shopping malls or anywhere public because a pedophile might get them. Sheesh, this preposterous logic of yours truly deserves no response, but when I hear something like this I have to answer to find out if the person is really just pulling my leg or actually believes what they are writing.

Now, since everyone else understands, let's let this off-topic subject go, okay? If you are particularly self-conscious about your age for some reason or there is some personal issue you are internalizing here, well this is not the place for that. I'd like to steer this thread back in the right direction. If anyone else wishes to comment on the topic (as they had been doing) I'd be more than happy to hear! :)

Anyone, including you, can choose to call anything "private" if they want to, but there are rules, guidelines and precedents. You can say you should not be on security cameras because you don't want people to know when you are at a certain place. Or you should not have to partake in a census because it's no one's business who lives in your home. That is actually more personal information yet are completely accepted and routine. General statistical information is not "your" information. In order for something to be about "you" then "you" need to be named. If I just said "there was a 50 year old onboard" then whose information did I give out?? Your example holds no water, I'm sorry. If you wish to discuss someone giving out your information, please explain where that applies or start a thread about that topic, maybe entitled: "I Resent Cruise Lines Asking My Age When I Book Under My Name And Address". But if you are saying that a ship disclosing that there were 20% senior citizen, 30% children and the other 50% were neither minors or seniors that then your information is somehow being "violated" and is "dangerous", that is something so ridiculous I don't even need to explain to anyone reading this. You're either pulling my leg or else it is paranoia on a whole level I never knew existed. Since I started this topic and know the intent and have explained the premise, I respectively ask that you please comment on what I am talking about, not some deluded notion that has nothing to do with this but that you insist on pursuing in a blustery tone and exclamation points with lines like "You have no right!" and "It's none of your business!".

LOL, not at all. In fact you at first demonstrated my whole point by explaining how people would want to know the demographics and how might be helpful (playmates for the children so they won't get bored -- another good example, thanks), then go on to say if there's a chance children might be somewhere that is a "danger because of pedophiles", LOL. PLEASE tell me you are joking on this one, we could all use a good laugh. But before you do, be sure to close down all schools because pedophiles know there "might" be kids there and for that matter don't allow kids in shopping malls or anywhere public because a pedophile might get them. Sheesh, this preposterous logic of yours truly deserves no response, but when I hear something like this I have to answer to find out if the person is really just pulling my leg or actually believes what they are writing.

Since everyone else understands, let's let this off-topic subject go, okay? If you are particularly self-conscious about your age for some reason or there is some personal issue you are internalizing here, well this is not the place for that. If anyone else wishes to comment on the topic (as they had been doing) I'd be happy to hear.

Well, I think you're pursuing your argument with me to the point where you are becoming ridiculous. I have no problem with security cameras or censuses. There is a reason for them.

There is no reason for releasing my informaton to you as a potentil cruiser, just because you selfishly want to enhance your potential cruise experience. That is not a valid reason.

My comments are not "ridiculous" and they are certainly not off topic, so I'll continue to make them.

Of course pedophiles know there are children in schools. That is no good reason for disclosing the number of children potentially on a cruise.

I'm not sensitive about my age. I see it as as badge of honour. I've survived and I have learned along the way.

Perhaps you could learn something from some of us who are over 60 (a little tact, maybe?), instead of feeling your cruise might be ruined by being stuck with us?

I could tell you about my very first shipboard experience when, returning via the Mediterranean from Egypt to England with my very pregnant mother on a ship full of troops returning from World War Two, our ship hit a mine and we had to evacuate to another ship in the middle of the night. Or I could tell you about trips on a paddle steamer down the River Nile from Khartoum (Sudan) to Kenya, because the Sudan in summer was too hot for women and shildren (100+ degrees F in the shade). Or I could tell you something about the 60 countries I have visited.

But no, perhaps someone who calls himself "studmuffin" is only interested in other social activities?

You've accused me of paranoia, preposterous logic, joking and pulling your leg and have taken exception to my punctuation. Anything else denigrating you want to say?

Is that how you argue - attacking instead of reasoning?

I repeat, I disagree with you, I am entitled to express that disagreement.

Hi, Muffin-man,

Well, you do seem to have struck a nerve or two :)

Not so sure that there's anything especially unreasonable about your request, other than that you are perhaps expecting too much - as WG's post, there are so many other demographics that concern other folk, and too much information can be as unhelpful as too little.

Research about facilities, itinerary & date, and checking reviews & T/As advice should provide you with the basics. No, it's not comprehensive but it's as good as you're gonna get. And its no different with A/I resorts, hotels, etc

Sorry, Celle, but with respect I don't see your argument at all, there is no PC reason why the cruiselines should not make available such information in general terms, of course it doesn't breach individuals' confidentiality, and the politically-correct brigade already make life far more complicated than it need be.

The OP is entitled to ask the question, wanting to know most certainly is his business, questions about demographics (but usually about kids) appear frequently on these boards, and I see nothing "selfish" in the question.

John Bull

OP - I agree, I would like to know before booking if the cruise I am looking at has conventions, is a gay/lesbian cruise, is a spring break cruise, has mainly kids, has mainly 20 somethings, etc. I am over 50 and personally would rather be on a ship for a week with mainly other over 50's, than with mainly families with small children or 20 something's.... And my personal preference is not to be on a sailing with several large groups that book public rooms just for them or are large enough that they feel anyone not part of their group is in their way, or special interest groups that I do not agree with. I would want to know the same information if I was taking an AI land vacation.

I had a question that I don't know (or think) anyone has addressed yet. When spending substantial money on a cruise it is of course important that one enjoys an experience that suits their taste. As we know, that depends on budget, cruise line, ship, time of year, itinerary, port of embarkation, length of cruise, etc. These are all things one can determine before making a decision and investing their money.

However, I find general atmosphere and demographic of fellow passengers to be just as important, notably by how often it is regularly discussed in these forums. Personally, I think a varied age group (young and old alike) is best for a complete experience, although I can see why seniors cruising would not want to be around rowdy party animals, romantic couples may not want to be surrounded by lots of rambunctious children, and younger cruisers & singles may not want to feel like they're on a floating nursing home at sea. There's nothing worse than spending a good deal of money, anticipating the weeks or months, then once aboard realizing you are completely out of your element when it comes to fellow passengers. Suddenly you may feel a little disheartened. And before everyone says you can determine this by cruise line and length of cruise and time of year, I do realize that is a huge factor; it is just not always the case. There may be special interest groups aboard a particular cruise or business conventions, etc. And sometimes there is just that deviation from the norm.

Here then, is my question: Since all cruise lines and booking agents ask birth dates (ages) upon booking anyway, why can't they disclose a current running age demographic which is constantly evolving until the ship is fully booked? How hard would it be for the cruise line to simply show you at the time of booking what percentage of each age group has booked already? They could easily break down ages graphically into categories such as: 0-12, 13-20, 21-30, 31-40, 41-50, 51-64, and 65+. This discloses no private information yet in my opinion is just as helpful to know as other key things one would find out before booking. I have had an experience where in my early 30's I was stuck 6 days at sea (not even in pool weather) with my friend and I, two young honeymooning couples in their 20's, and everyone else well over 65. This is not a complaint, just recognizing that while it is great to associate with all ages, one may want to rest assured they are not small minority in their age group. Any ideas or feedback about this? Do you know why this isn't or can't be disclosed in advance? :confused:

Should we also have race and religious demographics for the same reasons you state?

That is also OK with you?

Well, I think you're pursuing your argument with me to the point where you are becoming ridiculous. I have no problem with security cameras or censuses. There is a reason for them.

There is no reason for releasing my informaton to you as a potentil cruiser, just because you selfishly want to enhance your potential cruise experience. That is not a valid reason.

OMG, now I know you must be kidding. NO ONE IS RELEASING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION!!! Please read what I wrote and respond in kind or don't hijack this thread. You say someone wanting to enhance their experience they paid a lot for is "selfish"?? Why are they going on a cruise at all then? Why pic a cruise ship they like or a place they like or the time of year they like?!? How outrageous for anyone to spend money to enhance something they buy or do! Never heard of before (this on a site about taking cruises). Enhancing one's experience is what cruising is all about! Please...

My comments are not "ridiculous" and they are certainly not off topic, so I'll continue to make them. I'm not sensitive about my age. I see it as as badge of honour. I've survived and I have learned along the way.

Perhaps you could learn something from some of us who are over 60 (a little tact, maybe?), instead of feeling your cruise might be ruined by being stuck with us?

As I see you continue blindly, without understanding or reading what this is about, but instead due to some personal issue I can see you have, with which a nerve was struck. This is not psychotherapy, this is a cruise message board. I suspected the issue was that you were a senior and despite my very clearly prefacing my question, you chose to internalize the issue and start making self-righteous and outraged exclamations toward me (just read the progression of posts above to see how this started and who it was that first became uncivil and irate -- you).

That is no good reason for disclosing the number of children potentially on a cruise.

There most certainly is, as explained ad nauseam in both this thread and in many cruise discussions for years on here and in general; again are you serious??

But no, perhaps someone who calls himself "studmuffin" is only interested in other social activities?

Again as I suspected, you are making personal attacks and internalizing something that has nothing to do with the topic but your own age issues, and what you decide to project upon me who you don't even know. I know about hardship in my life and family history and I'm not interested in you thinking you can air your issues here and take them out on others because you feel you are the only one who has lived a hard or unfair life.

I repeat, I disagree with you, I am entitled to express that disagreement.

That's just it... you don't "disagree" with me. You are rambling about your life and your issues and your personal privacy and pedophiles and children being in public and people "knowing where kids are" being dangerous (let's throw in Al Qaeda, terrorists and danger of falling overboard when on a cruise too why don't we). This is ludicrous and I ask you to please find another thread to rant about it. I started this topic and I don't appreciate this preposterous and tiresome discourse you have steered it toward. I respectfully ask you to stop embarrassing yourself with issues everyone can see has nothing to do with the topic. All we are learning from your posts is about you and your extreme sensitivity and paranoia. You keep demonstrating those qualities but then say it is our fault for pointing it out? We only see what you show us (and we've seen it already, okay? ..enough).

Sorry, Celle, but with respect I don't see your argument at all, there is no PC reason why the cruiselines should not make available such information in general terms, of course it doesn't breach individuals' confidentiality, and the politically-correct brigade already make life far more complicated than it need be.

The OP is entitled to ask the question, wanting to know most certainly is his business, questions about demographics (but usually about kids) appear frequently on these boards, and I see nothing "selfish" in the question.

John Bull

John, thanks for bringing a clear head into this discussion. But she shows she had nothing really against what we're discussing, rather what she is internalizing based upon her own issues and situation. I knew that her real motivation would reveal itself if she continued long enough. Ironically John, you say it is usually a question about kids, but Celle just got finished saying there is "no good reason for disclosing the number of children potentially on a cruise," again after pointing out the obvious to her over and over.

Anyway, I'll say it once more: If anyone else wishes to comment on the topic (as they had been doing) I'd be more than happy to hear! :)

We do understand the OPs point of view. That being said, there are many things cruise lines could (but do not) disclose such as the presence of a large group on a cruise. For example, we are aware of a RCI cruise where more than half the passengers (nearly 1200 passengers) were from a conservative Christian group that brought aboard their own entertainment. These folks harassed other passengers who drank alcohol, wore skimpy swim suits, etc. They also took over many of the public rooms for private functions. So there are other situations worse than age. But, having been on many cruises we can usually predict basic demographics such as lots of kids, age, etc. It really does not take brain science and there are some basic rules. For example, take a short (10 days or less) Caribbean cruise during March or April on Princess, RCI, or Carnival and you will likely have a lot of spring breakers. Book a 10 day (or less) Caribbean cruise during the summer or school holidays and you will have lots of children and teens. Cruise anywhere in early December and you will have few children and an older crowd. The longer the cruise the older the crowd. HA and X tend to attract an older crowd (particularly on cruises longer than 10 days). We are an older couple who does a lot cruising and have no problem controlling cruise demographics by how we choose to cruise. Sure, sometimes there are surprises with Demographics..but such is life.

Hank

Should we also have race and religious demographics for the same reasons you state? That is also OK with you?

Nope, absolutely not, which is why I didn't mention it once or claim it was. Of course people are often differentiated according to age, whether it be who TV ratings are geared toward or the different age groups children are grouped into for children's activities on board.

If you want to discuss race and religion that is your right, but could you take that to another board and start your own thread? Thanks Donray. ;)

We do understand the OPs point of view. That being said, there are many things cruise lines could (but do not) disclose such as the presence of a large group on a cruise. For example, we are aware of a RCI cruise where more than half the passengers (nearly 1200 passengers) were from a conservative Christian group that brought aboard their own entertainment. These folks harassed other passengers who drank alcohol, wore skimpy swim suits, etc.

Another good example Hank and to be honest, there would be nothing wrong with an agent saying "I want to warn you, this cruise has been chosen for a large convention" (or Christian fundamentalists or tea-partiers or war protesters or a large Boys Scouts pack meeting -- whatever). Not only is there nothing wrong, I think they would be obliged to tell you before spending your hard-earned money. That, like age, is not personal information, that is information specific to and about that sailing, which of course is of interest to you if you consider booking it.

So far, the only conclusion is it would be great for passengers to know but the cruise lines would fear people may not book certain cruises and would rather they find out upon boarding, when they are stuck with their decision (and them with your money) no matter what happens. I think though anything that makes it easier to book a cruise you may specifically enjoy would be beneficial to all, and a cruise line who did that may in fact attract more bookings away from others who do not.

No one has answered my question from before though. With respect to what Hlitner just said: Although it is often accurate to rely on those general parameters, it's not always that cut & dry. In my case, I am taking a 10-day Caribbean cruise on Celebrity. Should I assume it will be all older people because it is longer than 7 days, during school season and on Celebrity or should I imagine it'll be a good deal of young ones as well since it is not a real long trans-ocean 12-14 day cruise, it's in the Caribbean and Celebrity does not have the same reputation as Holland America or the luxury cruises?? I'd really like feedback on that.

My last non-chartered public cruise was 6-days trans-Pacific non-stop while I was in my early 30's and everyone else (with the exception of three or four young honeymooners) was over 65, some well over. It was not how I imagined a cruise to be but at the time I didn't know about all the parameters to consider (and I got 11 days from Vancouver to Hawaii and around the islands for $520 with all tax, etc. -- as well as free airfare to Vancouver and only $75 flying back from Hawaii, so no complaints in that regard!). :D Actually, I'm worried about diversity. I didn't like it when I took a chartered cruise that was all young party animals either; it seemed superficial and there was no real sense of intimacy. I have yet to take a cruise where there was an actual mix. Actually, this whole thread is about diversity, and not having a cruise dominated by any one group. I can't afford to keep spending my limited budget to have these kind of surprises or not know what I'm in for until it's too late. I am hoping this time will be different. :confused:

OK, I think everybody just needs to settle down. This is forum, which is a place for people with similar interests to ask questions which seek the opinions of others, not a platform for indignation or morality. PhxStudMuffin asked a legitimate question; if you're interested in a reasonable discussion, great. If you're interested in hot debate, I'd suggest a different venue, or perhaps pistols at 10 paces! Chill out people, this is a forum about CRUISING!

Just my opinion...

OK, I think everybody just needs to settle down. This is forum, which is a place for people with similar interests to ask questions which seek the opinions of others, not a platform for indignation or morality. PhxStudMuffin asked a legitimate question; if you're interested in a reasonable discussion, great. If you're interested in hot debate, I'd suggest a different venue, or perhaps pistols at 10 paces! Chill out people, this is a forum about CRUISING!

Just my opinion...

Here! Here! I completely agree, thank you! :)

The only reason why demographics are not disclosed prior to a cruise departure is that cruise lines look only at the bottom line, and they will do nothing to discourage even one passenger from booking a cruise if they found out that a segment of the cruise line's demographic does not appeal to them. If they told a group of 20 somethings that a majority of a particular cruise would be aged 65 and older, that might cause that young group to look elsewhere for their vacation. If they tell a group from a senior citizen community that there will be 750 kids aged 16 and younger on a cruise, that oldster group will probably not book that ship. It's the same reason why a cruise line will not disclose if there are large groups on board---they do not want to discourage anyone from booking their line. Like I said, it's all about the bottom line, and no other reason.

This poster should go back and read the original post.

It certainly is the business of a prospective passenger to have an idea of the age mix on a cruise being considered.

Additionally, it is absurd to claim that letting a prospective passenger know the numbers of passengers in various age-groups breaches anyone's privacy. An individual's privacy is only breached if information about that individual is divulged.

Archived