Houston: best BBQ

xerenthar

Everybody has their favorite. Goode Co is very popular as is Pappas and Ottos has its fans including Bush 41. We also have Spring Creek and Brookstreet that are OK. Any of the Pappas restaurants are popular. In fact at IAH there is a Pappasitos Mexican and a Pappadeaux Cajun in Terminal E and there is also good barbecue at the airport. We actually have decent food now at both airports. In fact we schedule our flights so we can get a decent lunch or dinner before flying.

Goode Company would be my suggestion - the location at 5109 Kirby would be the closest to HOU (but not all that close). Pappas is OK. Spring Creek and Brookstreet are chains - nothing I'd recommend. Actually, the best are little hole in the wall places - but I don't know any to recommend. I'm sure someone will come along with an idea!

I have to say Queens in Galveston ... Gotta have their smoked Turkey Cliffhanger on Jalopeno bread dipped in their special sauce... best thing I have ever eaten ... and I am a huge fan of Bar-B-que.. but honestly havent found anywhere that serves ribs up like my husband. I have been to a real good one in Houston and it might be the one on Kirby which was real good.

I'll probably get strung up for saying this, but the "life-altering" BBQ is in the Hill Country and too far for your purposes. However, Houston does have some good BBQ options. I agree that Goode Co. and Pappas are good choices. There is a Pappas off the freeway between Galveston and HOU airport (20794 Gulf Frwy. in Webster). Their brisket and ribs are good as well as the jalapeno bread.

For those trying to fit Space Center Houston into their itinerary, this Pappas would put you right next to the NASA bypass that heads toward the space center. NOTE: tickets to Space Center Houston are considerably cheaper online than they are at the ticket booth (http://www.spacecenter.org/Prices.html).

Enjoy!

Archived