Grossly inadequate compensation

paulred

Carnival should have canceled the cruises sooner from what I have read there was a lot of damage on the ship who really thought they could fix the ship that quick. But cruisers have no choice but to wait until Carnival canceled future cruises if you wanted to cancel a cruise because you feared it may get canceled later by Carnival you would loose your deposit if not more. I do think what Carnival is offering is fair I just thought they should have done it sooner:)

Mike

I think its easy for folks not affected to throw rocks ..... real sympathy went the way of the do do bird.

I agree and my other thought is that if I have to cancel a cruise due to reasons that are not within my control *I have to pay a penalty, and everyone says "should have had insurance to cover that". But if Carnival cancels it seems like "oh well not their fault or responsibility". I loved our cruise, I am a "Carnival Fan", but at the same time.....there are enough problems that they should be more sensitive.

Chad,

I had to pay an additional 400.00 for my cruise, and I dont think it is fair, if they are going to put this on their own web site, they should pay for the obc.

I also paid near $400 for my cruise. I'm sorry you are having trouble with Carnival. I did as well, and after 7 days and going to John Heald for some assistance, I did receive my price match I deserved. Best of luck.

I also paid near $400 for my cruise. I'm sorry you are having trouble with Carnival. I did as well, and after 7 days and going to John Heald for some assistance, I did receive my price match I deserved. Best of luck.

I agree with the price match but am confused as to why one thinks that they are entitled to an additional 200.00 OBC if this isn't the second time that they have had to rebook.

Are you going to get OBC and if so what amount?

I agree with the price match but am confused as to why one thinks that they are entitled to an additional 200.00 OBC if this isn't the second time that they have had to rebook.

Because thats what it says on Carnival's web page!

People crack me up. There is no more compensation to be had. Change your vacation dates at work (I Have done it 100 times), use the fee change money they are giving you and rebook something else. Big deal. You can even go on another line because they are refunding. People are always so "entitled" where is it that people have to complain even when they are getting a refund? People complain about everything. I am so sick of it

BTW, I have had 2 sailings cancelled with Carnival: the Splendor fire and my rebooked Spirit cruise, so I get your frustration ok.

Why was your Spirit cruise canceled?

Carnival did two cancelations on me, too. The Splendor and a few weeks before that they canceled my Caribbean cruise. Really disappointing.

I have my upcoming cruises listed. No, I have not booked Splendor because it is on the opposite side of the US from me.

Since you booked your cruise for Jan 9, 2011, this is the first time you have had to rebook, others have had to rebook twice now.

I think you are entitled to the cruise rate being locked in, so you shouldn't be charged more UNLESS you changed the number of days from the original schedule (example went from 5 days cruise to 7 day)and $50.00 on board credit.

I do agree with you that Carnival should make their Web page more understandable to their passengers.

People crack me up. There is no more compensation to be had. Change your vacation dates at work (I Have done it 100 times), use the fee change money they are giving you and rebook something else. Big deal. You can even go on another line because they are refunding. People are always so "entitled" where is it that people have to complain even when they are getting a refund? People complain about everything. I am so sick of it

If your so sick of it, why are you adding your 2 cents where no one wants to hear it?

I have my upcoming cruises listed. No, I have not booked Splendor because it is on the opposite side of the US from me.

Since you booked your cruise for Jan 9, 2011, this is the first time you have had to rebook, others have had to rebook twice now.

I think you are entitled to the cruise rate being locked in, so you shouldn't be charged more UNLESS you changed the number of days from the original schedule (example went from 5 days cruise to 7 day)and $50.00 on board credit.

Yes, I went from a 7 day to 8 day, no I got no $50.00 obc either, just had to pay 400.00 more for adding 1 day!

I do agree with you that Carnival should make their Web page more understandable to their passengers.

Change your vacation dates at work (I Have done it 100 times),

It's nice that you can do that, but not everyone can. Some people get to request a certain number of days off a year, have to do it at a certain time, and cannot change it once it's been granted.

If your so sick of it, why are you adding your 2 cents where no one wants to hear it?

You see this is why I asked questions and just now am finding out that you changed the number of days at sea. The next question could be is the ports still the same? The next could be, you were charged $400.00 more for one person or two? See how all this information MIGHT change someone's opinion on what is fair?

Your price increase might include the extra day, different ports and so on.

No, my sailing wasn't promised OBC because we were given cruise credit. We did receive that cruise credit easily, however there was no price match in effect at that point so most of us paid to rebook. I chose the Spirit because after being on board during the fire, I just could not imagine them having the Splendor back in business anytime soon (IMHO) and the Spirit looks great. Then they cancelled that sailing on me and it took me 7 days of phone calls and emails to get them to match my price and room category. And then THAT booking was cancelled on me twice because two separate PVP's did not switch the bookings correctly. I have now been assigned a PVP, Gio, LOL.

I was so crazed over the whole Splendor thing and am quite grateful that I have a whole different mess with my booking, although related.

Why was your Spirit cruise canceled?

Carnival did two cancelations on me, too. The Splendor and a few weeks before that they canceled my Caribbean cruise. Really disappointing.

I was of course given no explanation LOL, but what I gather from CC is that she will be coming out of a scheduled dry dock and they changed that sailing to a 15 day Hawaii cruise.

Best of luck to you :) I have seen quite a few of your posts since the fire and you always seem to have a great attitude regardless. I don't know if I could say the same if it had happened to me :o. I hope your trip is a great one and that no one else messes with your bookings!

I was of course given no explanation LOL, but what I gather from CC is that she will be coming out of a scheduled dry dock and they changed that sailing to a 15 day Hawaii cruise.

No, my sailing wasn't promised OBC because we were given cruise credit. We did receive that cruise credit easily, however there was no price match in effect at that point so most of us paid to rebook. I chose the Spirit because after being on board during the fire, I just could not imagine them having the Splendor back in business anytime soon (IMHO) and the Spirit looks great. Then they cancelled that sailing on me and it took me 7 days of phone calls and emails to get them to match my price and room category. And then THAT booking was cancelled on me twice because two separate PVP's did not switch the bookings correctly. I have now been assigned a PVP, Gio, LOL.

I was so crazed over the whole Splendor thing and am quite grateful that I have a whole different mess with my booking, although related.

Thanks for your answer. Happy cruising to you!

Thanks for all the replies. There were a lot of different opinions on just what Carnival was offering. We booked MONTHS in advance, and we got a great deal for doing so. Carnival encourages lpeople to book early, and takes $500 deposit to do so. Then at final payment date, (November first) they take the rest. No interest paid. They have millions of dollars in their hands. They don't have to keep it aside, they can us it to fund their operations. I have a hard time understanding why people think it generous to give us a full refund. This is not negotiable. It would be fraud to keep the money. yet we have to ask for it, and wait ten days. This confirms they didn't keep the money in a trust fund, and if you do the numbers, its millions.

Yes we used Priceline or Hotwire. Anyone who does not for a one night stay is wasting money. Yes, I have trip insurance, but so does Carnival. Their fault, their insurance!

As to fault, how many other ship fires have you heard about lately. Ships of similar design are not going up in flames.

Yes, they give you a credit towards a new cruise. THEIR CRUISES!. And only carnival, not their associated cruise lines. But the credit is based on their brochure prices. Their offer to switch to the Spirit, with discount and OBC was less than what I could have purchased as a new cruiser on several online TAs. One result is Carnival does not have to honour the early booking rates that encourage people onto this cruise. Think of it, if you decide to go on another cruise in late February, there are much better offers out there for equally good cruises.

Mostly, I suppose I am upset that ANY re-imbursement is based on re booking with Carnival. Hal and Princess and Disney each had cruises that fit our time frame, but we would get nothing more than our money back. Note, its OUR money. Not Carnivals.

What did I expect? I was willingto book the 5 day cruise on Spirit. It fit our schedule so no air or hotel changes were necessary. But, it would cost us to go to and from San Diego, and spend two nights after in a hotel. Not only would they not recognize the extra expenses, but their rate on that cruise was MORE than what my TA was selling it for. Some compensation.

My agents are trying to get something more in keeping with the situation, but I am not optimistic.

Again, I sympathize to some degree with them. But their whole pricing and marketing encourages booking early, they have your money for a good amount of time (free)., and this was a man made, forseeable situation.

Paul

People who book months and months out tend to get the best prices. People who book close to the sail date often pay more. In this economy, interest rates are near zero. You are better off booking early.

How many people on the Titanic would be delighted to be able to book another cruise at any price?

Carnival's liability is clearly spelled out and they continue to go above and beyond that. There is no way to please everyone. Especially someone who has already announced they are switching to Celebrity. Why bother?

I am sorry that so many cruisers had their planned trips cancelled. But I believe Carnival has offered fair compensation. After reading so many negative posts, I wonder what would ultimately be fair in their eyes. It seems that no matter what the company had offered, many would still not be happy. They would still demand more.

No wonder businesses have to raise prices. Too many people today try to push the envelope to get as much as they can.

This is just my humble opinion. It doesn't matter if any one agrees with me.

I was booked on the Jan. 9th sailing and rebooked on the Miracle jan. 14th. I just called carnival to find out about the 200.00 obc that says on their page if you rebooked a 6-9 day sailing, you get 25% off AND $200.00 obc, NOW THEY SAY ITS FOR THE ONES THAT HAD TO REBOOK TWICE, WHICH IS CRAP, THEY NEED TO READ THEIR OWN STATEMENT!

I did get reimbursed for airfare change and hotel up to $50.00.

Sandra

"If previously booked on a Carnival Splendor sailing scheduled to depart 11/14/10 – 1/09/11, you may select from options 1, 2 or 3 AND receive an On Board Credit of $200 per cabin when rebooking any future Carnival cruise."

This statement on the website says nothing about being for those rebooking twice. Your cruise was in the dates listed, I would call them back and make them honor this statement.

"If previously booked on a Carnival Splendor sailing scheduled to depart 11/14/10 – 1/09/11, you may select from options 1, 2 or 3 AND receive an On Board Credit of $200 per cabin when rebooking any future Carnival cruise."

This statement on the website says nothing about being for those rebooking twice. Your cruise was in the dates listed, I would call them back and make them honor this statement.

Thank you GeckoGirl, thats what I said too

Archived