Grossly inadequate compensation

paulred

I was out of internet range last week, so I did not hear about my Splendor cancellation of my Jan 23 cruise until yesterday. The compensation offered is underwhelming beyond belief.

Let's be clear. This was not a weather related "not their fault" situation . This was a man made, poor maintenance or poor construction issue, caused by a Carnival employee or employees. Was it a simple dumb move by one person or a systematic dumbing down of standards that lead to this incident. Carnival's initial handling of the situation was commendable. then the accountant's moved in. Certainly this has been expensive. That's why they have insurance companies. Fire on board is uncommon, but not unheard of. The disruption of passengers, both at the time and on cancelled cruises is forseeable, and should have been integrated into corporate planning.

They understand the cruise business well enough to know that many people can only cruise on limited dates, and cannot rebook in short order, and still they hang on to the money. When deposits and final payment was due, there was no ten day window for the client. Pay or go away was the only choice. Now, they make you beg for it back.

Did you notice that all compensation was based on re booking on Carnival?

Most TAs and Carnival itself warn people to arrive a day ahead of a cruise, but there was no mention of re-imbursement of hotel costs.

The cruise ships may know where they are going, but as a company, Carnival has lost its way.

Note: I was thinking of taking the HAL Osterdam out of San Diego, but I can't get compensation for the change in air schedule if I book non Carnival, and I sure don't want to fly from Australia same day and have to hustle down to San Diego from LAX. Then I remembered, Carnival owns HAL, and why should I reward them with my business.

Looks like its back to Celebrity for any future cruises.

Paul Redvers

You are in a lousy situation. Maybe if you contact CCL "personally" and explained the situation they may have another "fund" to re-imburse for change of airfare. I thought I read somewhere on this board they did. Good luck.

Updated 12/15/2010:

Guests booked on the cancelled voyages will receive a refund or future cruise credit equal to the amount paid, along with reimbursement of air transportation-related change fees. Those who re-book may also receive a 25 percent future cruise discount and/or onboard credit depending on the ship and sailing date of the new booking. Additional details are available at carnival.com.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/pdf/Splendor-Comp-Guidelines.pdf

Updated 12/15/2010:

Guests booked on the cancelled voyages will receive a refund or future cruise credit equal to the amount paid, along with reimbursement of air transportation-related change fees. Those who re-book may also receive a 25 percent future cruise discount and/or onboard credit depending on the ship and sailing date of the new booking. Additional details are available at carnival.com.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/pdf/Splendor-Comp-Guidelines.pdf

I knew I read it somewhere!:)

What was the "man made, poor maintenance or poor construction issue, caused by a Carnival employee or employees?

I ask because I use to work in the insurance industry and I am well experienced in delays that can and do happen for reasons unknown. When the engine people started to remove the damaged area and found more damage than what was first thought, how is that a man made error?

Also:

Guests booked on the cancelled voyages will receive a refund or future cruise credit equal to the amount paid, along with reimbursement of air transportation-related change fees.

Those who re-book may also receive a 25 percent future cruise discount and/or onboard credit depending on the ship and sailing date of the new booking. Additional details are available at carnival.com.

What expense have you paid for the hotel room? I know that we do not pay for any room until we arrive at the hotel and check in.

Would trip insurance with a company like Travelguard, reimburse cost of airline tickets for a vacation cancelled by cruise company?

I do agree with OP on this one. While I realize that each Carnival brand is operated as a separate business unit, corporate Carnival could make things easier by offering the reimbursement for cruises booked on ANY of the Carnival owned cruise lines (which includes Princess and HAL).

LOL, Sounds like very fair comp to me for something that is totally beyound the control of Carnival. I love it when the sea lawyers start lining up up with opinions about something that they know nothing about. Makes for some very entertaining reading.

What compensation would be acceptable? A full refund, 25% credit for a future cruise, and reimbursement for air travel changes seems fair to me, but then I wasn't stuck in the situation so maybe I'm being too easy.

On the hotel, usually you don't pay until you stay. Did you use Priceline or some other prepaid service?

Would trip insurance with a company like Travelguard, reimburse cost of airline tickets for a vacation cancelled by cruise company?

I do agree with OP on this one. While I realize that each Carnival brand is operated as a separate business unit, corporate Carnival could make things easier by offering the reimbursement for cruises booked on ANY of the Carnival owned cruise lines (which includes Princess and HAL).

They are offering a FULL refund of what has been paid. And the cost of switching the airline date.....

What other should Carnival be doing? Get the money and book on another cruise ship if that is the OP's desire. No where in the Carnival statement does it say that to get the refund of the money paid, it has to be Carnival.

They are offering a FULL refund of what has been paid. And the cost of switching the airline date.....

Where does it say hotel costs will be reimbursed .. ?? I know I often have nonrefundable hotels booked myself. I would want them reimbursed.

Many people have also had issues because they had certain days arranged at their jobs to be off .. no compensation for that problem .. not everything is being reimbursed...

What was the "man made, poor maintenance or poor construction issue, caused by a Carnival employee or employees?

I ask because I use to work in the insurance industry and I am well experienced in delays that can and do happen for reasons unknown. When the engine people started to remove the damaged area and found more damage than what was first thought, how is that a man made error?

Also:

Guests booked on the cancelled voyages will receive a refund or future cruise credit equal to the amount paid, along with reimbursement of air transportation-related change fees.

Those who re-book may also receive a 25 percent future cruise discount and/or onboard credit depending on the ship and sailing date of the new booking. Additional details are available at carnival.com.

What expense have you paid for the hotel room? I know that we do not pay for any room until we arrive at the hotel and check in.

Nicely said and worded...I totally agree. Would like to hear what the OP would like, especially with "grossly inadequate compensation" being thrown around....:cool:

I was out of internet range last week, so I did not hear about my Splendor cancellation of my Jan 23 cruise until yesterday. The compensation offered is underwhelming beyond belief.

Let's be clear. This was not a weather related "not their fault" situation . This was a man made, poor maintenance or poor construction issue, caused by a Carnival employee or employees. Was it a simple dumb move by one person or a systematic dumbing down of standards that lead to this incident. Carnival's initial handling of the situation was commendable. then the accountant's moved in. Certainly this has been expensive. That's why they have insurance companies. Fire on board is uncommon, but not unheard of. The disruption of passengers, both at the time and on cancelled cruises is forseeable, and should have been integrated into corporate planning.

They understand the cruise business well enough to know that many people can only cruise on limited dates, and cannot rebook in short order, and still they hang on to the money. When deposits and final payment was due, there was no ten day window for the client. Pay or go away was the only choice. Now, they make you beg for it back.

Did you notice that all compensation was based on re booking on Carnival?

Most TAs and Carnival itself warn people to arrive a day ahead of a cruise, but there was no mention of re-imbursement of hotel costs.

The cruise ships may know where they are going, but as a company, Carnival has lost its way.

Note: I was thinking of taking the HAL Osterdam out of San Diego, but I can't get compensation for the change in air schedule if I book non Carnival, and I sure don't want to fly from Australia same day and have to hustle down to San Diego from LAX. Then I remembered, Carnival owns HAL, and why should I reward them with my business.

Looks like its back to Celebrity for any future cruises.

Paul Redvers

Take a deep breath, relax, and have a seat. ;)

Seems there might be a misunderstanding. Contact Carnival, I suspect things are not as bad as they might look at the moment.

Good luck.

Although I can sympathize with your dissapointment, the compensation appears to be adequate. Accidents do happen and everything bad that happens should not have to be placed as blame on a person or company. Insurance covers damage, not lost income. Carnival seems to be generous in fairly compensating people without giving away the bank.

In addition, I have traveled all over the country and have never had to pay up front for a hotel. Almost all reputable hotels have a 24 hour cancellation policy except during major events (i.e. Superbowl, New Years Eve, etc...)

;)

Where does it say hotel costs will be reimbursed .. ?? I know I often have nonrefundable hotels booked myself. I would want them reimbursed.

Many people have also had issues because they had certain days arranged at their jobs to be off .. no compensation for that problem .. not everything is being reimbursed...

You have paid for a room that you have not stayed in? I certainly would not be using that hotel again. Sorry but I place the room on hold for a certain date. My card is used as a deposit. If I do not use that room and call to cancel that room, I am not charged.

I would be upset if I had planned to go on a cruise and then it was cancelled. But why would Carnival or any company for that matter, pay for the time that you have off? Wouldn't you still have that vacation time off although the plans would be changed?

You have paid for a room that you have not stayed in? I certainly would not be using that hotel again. Sorry but I place the room on hold for a certain date. My card is used as a deposit. If I do not use that room and call to cancel that room, I am not charged.

I would be upset if I had planned to go on a cruise and then it was cancelled. But why would Carnival or any company for that matter, pay for the time that you have off? Wouldn't you still have that vacation time off although the plans would be changed?

Well said again.

I was booked on the Jan. 9th sailing and rebooked on the Miracle jan. 14th. I just called carnival to find out about the 200.00 obc that says on their page if you rebooked a 6-9 day sailing, you get 25% off AND $200.00 obc, NOW THEY SAY ITS FOR THE ONES THAT HAD TO REBOOK TWICE, WHICH IS CRAP, THEY NEED TO READ THEIR OWN STATEMENT!

I did get reimbursed for airfare change and hotel up to $50.00.

Sandra

While I completely agree with you that I would not book a hotel room that I have to prepay, there is a growing trend for discounted hotel rooms to be prepaid and nonrefundable. I personally will pay the few extra dollars and be able to cancel a reservation should plans change.

I am also a Splendor "refugee". You have to read the compensation page carefully to see that the $200OBC is ONLY for those from the original cancellations.

I think that getting all your money back + airline expenses is quite fair!!

I know that some folks use 3rd party booking sites where they pay up front for a hotel. I never think that is a good idea unless you also take trip insurance which then should pay you if the cruise was cancelled.

We are very happy that we are now rebooked on a 9day Spirit cruise in a balcony on deck6 without having to pay anything extra!

I won't book the Splendor again until she has sailed succesfully but I WILL continue to sail Carnival.

I think its easy for folks not affected to throw rocks ..... real sympathy went the way of the do do bird.

It is a difficult situation. I understand that and I am sure they are frustrated with their vacation being canceled. As others have stated, Carnival seems to have done a fair job...

Archived