Grossly inadequate compensation

paulred

[quote name='dolphinwyo']The information re price protection, OBC, etc. was the statement issued following the announcement of the SECOND set of cancellations. We were scheduled on 12/12 Splendor, cancelled, offered 25% discount, used it to rebook 1/30 Splendor (being hopeful) and went from OV to Spa balcony room with no extra cost because of discount. Hotel alllowed us to change, no fees, when discussed with them. Then 1/30 cancelled, they sent us the letter stating the new terms which the OP has posted. We now picked 3/13 spring break Splendor, price protected and $200 OBC. Now we are sailing at a great time (spring break) at 1/2 the cost it would have normally been. Our PVP told us to pick any week that we wanted, no extra cost. Our PVP contacted us right away when cancellations were announced. The OP rebooked after the initial set of cancellations, therefore, the only compensation they offered us on first set was 25% off future cruise. Sorry, thats the way it is. It may be confusing on their website, but that info is only for those of us affected by second set of cancellations.[/QUOTE]

I hope it works out for and you don't get cancelled again (since I'm on the same dates ;) )

Well said and I agree. Having been on the ship, it was a bit nerve wracking and honestly it feels like a year ago lol. We feel like Carnival took care of us at sea and pretty well since we have gotten home. Since we had a cruise credit in the first place, it was much easier and we had no choice but to pay out of pocket for any 7 day cruise (we were firm on that) since I had scored such a great deal in the first place. It did take me a week to get the price protection that I felt like we deserved (after our rebooked Spirit cruise was cancelled).

I totally understand everyone's frustration, especially those with special occasions planned, but it is better than going out on a ship that isnt ready and getting stranded again, in possibly bad weather. Best of luck to everyone and Merry Christmas!

[quote name='Javacruiser']I just gotta say..... I'm glad I wasn't on the ship when it was stranded at sea -or- affected by the subsequent cancellations..... I'm sure it has been a nightmare for all of those who have been denied the vacation they had planned and in many cases there will be expenses that they feel should be picked up by Carnival..... However, from everything I have read, I really believe Carnival has gone above and beyond to make sure this is handled in a fair and professional manner.

I want to point out that I am not a Carnival employee or funnel fanatic...... In fact my last Carnival cruise made me feel I would like to look at other alternatives for our next vacation. Not an overall bad experience; Just not enough to make me a Carnival lifer. The way they have handled the Splendor situation has certainly scored points in my book. They are not going to please everyone and if they did, they would put themselves out of business in the process.

Happy sailing![/quote]

[quote name='paulred']Since when does any company get credit for not supplying a service, and being nice enough to give you a refund. That is not compensation, that is the law! But ask yourself, if the shoe were on the other foot, would they give you a break on your final apyment? Not likely. Their offer for our taking the Spirit, with the 25% credit was off their brochure price. Their price for an oceanview was 750. each. The TA web site has the same cruise, new bookings for 485. The plane change fee is only valid if you re book another Carnival cruise.

Nuff said, I am moving on.

Paul[/QUOTE]

Well then your lucky because companies do get credit (your monthly payment) when they don't supply a service. Comcast is a great example, like almost every month. They never provisioned our phone line so we had no phone for almost a year since not one of them could figure out why, then when they did, they didn't credit us the phone we did not have yet still demanded their payment.

Carnival is compensating you plenty.

[quote name='TheSailinSOB']Well then your lucky because companies do get credit (your monthly payment) when they don't supply a service. Comcast is a great example, like almost every month. They never provisioned our phone line so we had no phone for almost a year since not one of them could figure out why, then when they did, they didn't credit us the phone we did not have yet still demanded their payment.

Carnival is compensating you plenty.[/quote]

You paid your phone bill even when you didn't even get service? :rolleyes:

Again, lets be clear. Carnival owes all cruisers a refund. That's not compensation, that's the law. The OWE nothing else. Most corporations, and I do beleive Carnival is one, realize that consumer goodwill is an important aspect of their business. They can, by choice, offer any compensation they see fit. We as consumers may accept or reject, but certainly, either way, we are entitled to an opinion, and, as a group, our opinions do carry weight.

Anyone who blindly takes whatever they offer without examining it thoroughly is not an informed consumer.

Carnival's initial offer to me was a refund plus 25% off their brochure rate. I countered that I could get the refund that I was entitled to and make a new booking for 68% off their rate with my online TA.

carnival has now offered 25% off the TA rate. That is very fair, and I am pleased with that offer.

Paul

[quote name='paulred']
Carnival's initial offer to me was a refund plus 25% off their brochure rate. I countered that I could get the refund that I was entitled to and make a new booking for 68% off their rate with my online TA.

carnival has now offered 25% off the TA rate. That is very fair, and I am pleased with that offer.

Paul[/quote]

Carnival was offering 25% off their rate .. not off some bogus brochure rate.

TA rate is the same as Carnival's rate...I was on your side, but now I see you are confused .. and getting the same offer that they offered in the first place!!! :( ... you got nothing extra according to what you just said.

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by paulred View Post

Paul[/QUOTE]

[quote name='firefly333']Carnival was offering 25% off their rate .. not off some bogus brochure rate.

TA rate is the same as Carnival's rate...I was on your side, but now I see you are confused .. and getting the same offer that they offered in the first place!!! :( ... you got nothing extra according to what you just said.[/QUOTE]

He's insists the TA has a lower rate for a new booking.

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by KarenMF View Post
He insists the TA has a lower rate for a new booking.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='tylerdad']That can't happen, Carnival does not let agents discount rates anymore. Any rate you can get from an TA you can get from Carnival.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my point! :)

[quote name='Thamsey']My friend and I are both out money with the airfare. I had to pay 101 dollars to get my one way ticket airmiles back, still out 58 in taxes on that one. My other ticket which I paid 248 was reimbursed but when I want to use that ticket a 75 dollar fee so out about 229 bucks can I afford it no Bythe way I did not book another cruise.[/quote]

[COLOR=Purple][B]Ellie,[/B]

You and I were booked on the same canceled Splendor cruise (Jan. 30th)....so CCL is not reimbursing you for your flight changes or canceled flight cost?

[/COLOR][COLOR=Purple][B]Everyone on this thread[/B],[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Purple]
I had to cancel the DD and my flights (booked through Orbitz.com) and then rebook new flights going to San Diego cause the DD [U][I][B]HAD [/B][/I][/U]to take that week off. Could [U][I][B]NOT[/B][/I][/U] change her vacation dates to any other time. Anyhow, we booked on HAL Oosterdam for Jan. 29th cruise. We [U][I][B]did [/B][/I][/U]get reimbursed for the Splendor canceled cruise, but so far have not got any type of reimbursement for flight changes...and I sent CCL the required documentation about the flight changes/extra charges we had to pay for our new flights to San Diego...to the FAX number that was listed in their 'cancellation e-mail'. No CCL reimbursement or notification when we will get one for the flight changes yet!

Are we going to get reimbursed for flight charges--when and how much? We should get cash or credit card reimbursements for flights that we had to change/cancel since we are unable to go on the Splendor cruise that CCL canceled. I do not think we should be obligated to book on another CCL cruise and be reimbursed with OBC for flight changes. How is that fair? We need our reimbursement to help pay for flight changes we had to make to get to another city for another cruise!

:confused::confused::confused:Does anyone understand this about the flight change reimbursement CCL said they would give us? If so please explain it to me![/COLOR] [COLOR=Purple]Anyone out there get any reimbursement for flight changes on flights they booked independent yet?[/COLOR]

My understanding is, no. Unless you rebook with Carnival you won't get your flight reimbursement. It will probably be saved on your account so you can use it on your next cruise should you choose to cruise with Carnival again. But unless you call constantly and argue your way to a refund, you won't get one. And even if you do call who knows if they'll even do anything for you.

I wish you luck, though! I do think it's ridiculous that the flight refunds are given in OBC.

ETA: Try asking John Heald! Maybe he can help you (and everyone else in your situation) out.

[quote name='paulred']Thanks for all the replies. There were a lot of different opinions on just what Carnival was offering. We booked MONTHS in advance, and we got a great deal for doing so. Carnival encourages lpeople to book early, and takes $500 deposit to do so. Then at final payment date, (November first) they take the rest. No interest paid. They have millions of dollars in their hands. They don't have to keep it aside, they can us it to fund their operations. I have a hard time understanding why people think it generous to give us a full refund. This is not negotiable. It would be fraud to keep the money. yet we have to ask for it, and wait ten days. This confirms they didn't keep the money in a trust fund, and if you do the numbers, its millions.

Yes we used Priceline or Hotwire. Anyone who does not for a one night stay is wasting money. Yes, I have trip insurance, but so does Carnival. Their fault, their insurance!

As to fault, how many other ship fires have you heard about lately. Ships of similar design are not going up in flames.

Yes, they give you a credit towards a new cruise. THEIR CRUISES!. And only carnival, not their associated cruise lines. But the credit is based on their brochure prices. Their offer to switch to the Spirit, with discount and OBC was less than what I could have purchased as a new cruiser on several online TAs. One result is Carnival does not have to honour the early booking rates that encourage people onto this cruise. Think of it, if you decide to go on another cruise in late February, there are much better offers out there for equally good cruises.

Mostly, I suppose I am upset that ANY re-imbursement is based on re booking with Carnival. Hal and Princess and Disney each had cruises that fit our time frame, but we would get nothing more than our money back. Note, its OUR money. Not Carnivals.
What did I expect? I was willingto book the 5 day cruise on Spirit. It fit our schedule so no air or hotel changes were necessary. But, it would cost us to go to and from San Diego, and spend two nights after in a hotel. Not only would they not recognize the extra expenses, but their rate on that cruise was MORE than what my TA was selling it for. Some compensation.

My agents are trying to get something more in keeping with the situation, but I am not optimistic.

Again, I sympathize to some degree with them. But their whole pricing and marketing encourages booking early, they have your money for a good amount of time (free)., and this was a man made, forseeable situation.

Paul[/quote]

Im sorry for all your troubles but you do know that Holland and Princess are owned by Carnival and from my understanding knowing someone who works for carnival you can use the ship credit for either one although it might cost you more if the price is higher..

[quote name='jebuell']My understanding is, no. Unless you rebook with Carnival you won't get your flight reimbursement. It will probably be saved on your account so you can use it on your next cruise should you choose to cruise with Carnival again. But unless you call constantly and argue your way to a refund, you won't get one. And even if you do call who knows if they'll even do anything for you.

I wish you luck, though! I do think it's ridiculous that the flight refunds are given in OBC.

ETA: Try asking John Heald! Maybe he can help you (and everyone else in your situation) out.[/quote]

[COLOR=Purple]Well, this is [U][I][B]NOT[/B][/I][/U] what 3 different CCL reps told me on the phone. They each told me at different times/different days that CCL will refund back my credit card with the flight change charges. The refund for flight changes will not be placed as OBC unless I want to book again with CCL and use that refund that way. So CCL better get this straighten out with their reps cause we all in this situation are getting different info about refunds on the flight changes and how CCL will refund us!!!!!!!
[/COLOR]

Archived