Holy Land Tour for the Mobility-Challenged

Atwell

We have been invited by a friend to join a well-organized 12-day Holy Land tour in May 2011. (Unfortunately, not part of a cruise!).

Here is the question - how would a person fare who uses a wheeled walker for long distances? No problem walking, just needs some support for a bad back. Naturally, a lot of steps pose a problem but one or two flights are OK.

The professional tour guide answered by e-mail as follows:

"Most of the sites are accessible with no problem. If there will be any place

that would create a problem, your wife could always wait in the bus for a

short while. The walks are not difficult but they could take some time. Do

you think a motorized or regular wheelchair could resolve the problem? because we can rent one for a few days if necessary."

Here are the sites on the tour:

Old Jaffa, Caesarea by the Sea, Valley of Armageddon, Mount Carmel, Haifa lookout, Tiberias.

Tel Dan, Caesarea Philippi, Nimrod Castle, Road to Damascus, Bnot Yaacov Bridge, 2-hour jeep ride on the Golan Heights, Korazim, Mount of Beatitudes, Capernaum, sail to Ginosar, "Jesus boat" museum, Tiberias.

Cana of Galilee, Nazareth, Jezreel, Gideon's Spring, Mount Tabor, Jordan River baptismal site, Tiberias.

Madaba, Mount Nebo, King’s highway, Petra, Wadi Rum.

Arava Valley, Ein Bokek, Masada, Kumran, Mount Scopus, Israel Museum.

Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial, Shepherd’s Field, Bethlehem, Church of the Nativity, Government House lookout, Herod’s family catacombs.

Mount of Olives, Palm Sunday Road, Dominus Flevit, Garden of Gethsemane, Pool of Bethesda, House of Caiaphas the high priest, Garden Tomb.

Temple Mount, Wailing Wall, Rabbi’s Tunnel, Via Dolorosa, Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the Jerusalem Museum in the Citadel by Jaffa Gate, Cardo, the recently restored HaChurva Synagogue, Jewish Quarter, Temple Institute, the Jewish Quarter Menorah replica, Southern Wall excavation at the Davidson Center.

We have heard that Petra might be a problem, perhaps also Masada and Church of the Nativity.

Anyone in CruiseCritic land have insights on the difficulty of such a tour?

We have been invited by a friend to join a well-organized 12-day Holy Land tour in May 2011. (Unfortunately, not part of a cruise!).

Here is the question - how would a person fare who uses a wheeled walker for long distances? No problem walking, just needs some support for a bad back. Naturally, a lot of steps pose a problem but one or two flights are OK.

The professional tour guide answered by e-mail as follows:

"Most of the sites are accessible with no problem. If there will be any place

that would create a problem, your wife could always wait in the bus for a

short while. The walks are not difficult but they could take some time. Do

you think a motorized or regular wheelchair could resolve the problem? because we can rent one for a few days if necessary."

Here are the sites on the tour:

Old Jaffa, Caesarea by the Sea, Valley of Armageddon, Mount Carmel, Haifa lookout, Tiberias.

Tel Dan, Caesarea Philippi, Nimrod Castle, Road to Damascus, Bnot Yaacov Bridge, 2-hour jeep ride on the Golan Heights, Korazim, Mount of Beatitudes, Capernaum, sail to Ginosar, "Jesus boat" museum, Tiberias.

Cana of Galilee, Nazareth, Jezreel, Gideon's Spring, Mount Tabor, Jordan River baptismal site, Tiberias.

Madaba, Mount Nebo, King’s highway, Petra, Wadi Rum.

Arava Valley, Ein Bokek, Masada, Kumran, Mount Scopus, Israel Museum.

Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial, Shepherd’s Field, Bethlehem, Church of the Nativity, Government House lookout, Herod’s family catacombs.

Mount of Olives, Palm Sunday Road, Dominus Flevit, Garden of Gethsemane, Pool of Bethesda, House of Caiaphas the high priest, Garden Tomb.

Temple Mount, Wailing Wall, Rabbi’s Tunnel, Via Dolorosa, Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the Jerusalem Museum in the Citadel by Jaffa Gate, Cardo, the recently restored HaChurva Synagogue, Jewish Quarter, Temple Institute, the Jewish Quarter Menorah replica, Southern Wall excavation at the Davidson Center.

We have heard that Petra might be a problem, perhaps also Masada and Church of the Nativity.

Anyone in CruiseCritic land have insights on the difficulty of such a tour?

It is very hard to answer you regarding the mobility problem because this is very personal. What I can tell you, and this is a professional opinion here, this itinerary, the way you describe it (10 full touring day) is way far from being a "well organized", it is to my opinion a CRAZY itinerary.

Just for example, crossing into Jordan from Tiberias I guess you'll cross at the Sheikh Hussein Bridge near Beit Shean, it is a ride of around 300k and you are planned to visit on that day also other sights???

post again your itinerary, day by day, and I'll be happy to assist you with the places I think you are about to encounter problems of mobility.

Also, I suggest you to go to the Israel Forum on TripAdvisor, you can get a lot of help there.

It is very hard to answer you regarding the mobility problem because this is very personal. What I can tell you, and this is a professional opinion here, this itinerary, the way you describe it (10 full touring day) is way far from being a "well organized", it is to my opinion a CRAZY itinerary.

Just for example, crossing into Jordan from Tiberias I guess you'll cross at the Sheikh Hussein Bridge near Beit Shean, it is a ride of around 300k and you are planned to visit on that day also other sights???

post again your itinerary, day by day, and I'll be happy to assist you with the places I think you are about to encounter problems of mobility.

Also, I suggest you to go to the Israel Forum on TripAdvisor, you can get a lot of help there.

You are right, this is a lot to do and see in a short time, therefore, it must be well-organized (or maybe it will be total chaos). We have friends who have done this tour before and they thought it was fine. We are looking for input from others on the mobility question primarily but any other input will be appreciated.

Here is the detailed itinerary:

Friday 5/13/11 Afternoon arrival at Ben Gurion Airport, hotel, briefing session. Overnight at Dan Hotel, Tel Aviv

Saturday 5/14/11 Old Jaffa, Caesarea by the Sea with lunch, Valley of Armageddon, Mount Carmel, Haifa lookout, Tiberias. Overnight at Gai Beach Hotel, Tiberias

Sunday 5/15/11 Tel Dan, Caesarea Philippi, Nimrod Castle, Road to Damascus, Bnot Yaacov Bridge, 2-hour jeep ride on the Golan Heights, Korazim with a short Sunday service, Vered HaGalil Ranch for lunch, Mount of Beatitudes, Capernaum, sail to Ginosar, "Jesus boat" museum, Tiberias. Overnight at Gai Beach Hotel, Tiberias

Monday 5/16/11 Cana of Galilee, Nazareth, Jezreel, Gideon's Spring, Mount Tabor with lunch in the monastery, Jordan River baptismal site, Tiberias. Overnight at Gai Beach Hotel, Tiberias

Tuesday 5/17/11 Early departure to Sheik Hussein Bridge, cross into Jordan, Jerash, Amman with lunch, Madaba, Mount Nebo, King’s highway, Petra. Overnight at Beit Zamman Hotel, Petra

Wednesday 5/18/11 Comprehensive tour of Petra with lunch, Wadi Rum, cross the border into Israel, Eilat, night tour with a visit to Eilat stone cutting plant. Overnight at Dan Hotel, Eilat

Thursday 5/19/11 Arava Valley, Ein Bokek, Crowne Plaza Hotel for Dead Sea “floating” and lunch, Masada, Kumran, Mount Scopus with a “Welcome to Jerusalem” short ceremony, Israel Museum to see the Dead Sea scrolls and the model of ancient Jerusalem. Overnight at King David Hotel, Jerusalem

Friday 5/20/11 Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial, Shepherd’s Field, Bethlehem, Church of Nativity, shopping and middle eastern lunch, return to Jerusalem, Government House lookout, Herod’s family catacombs. Overnight at King David Hotel, Jerusalem

Saturday 5/21/11 Mount of Olives, Palm Sunday Road, Dominus Flevit, Garden of Gethsemane, Pool of Bethesda, lunch at the Three Arches Hotel, House of Caiaphas the high priest, Garden Tomb with communion. Overnight at King David Hotel, Jerusalem

Sunday 5/22/11 Temple Mount, Wailing Wall with group picture, Rabbi’s Tunnel, Via Dolorosa, Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the Jerusalem Museum in the Citadel by Jaffa Gate, Cardo, the recently restored HaChurva Synagogue, Jewish Quarter with bagel light lunch, Temple Institute, the Jewish Quarter Menorah replica, Southern Wall excavation at the Davidson Center; farewell meeting after dinner. Overnight at King David Hotel, Jerusalem

Monday 5/23/11 Free day in Jerusalem, late check out, dinner and transfer to the airport.

I have only done a few of these places so far (I am returning to Israel and Jordan for a longer trip in March). But I would have to say that this tour looks very exhausting and ambitious for anyone, and especially for anyone with mobility issues...... I am in my 40s, not in the best of shape but not with any mobility issues. I did Caesarea, and I do not thinik it would be very easy with someone who finds steps and rough terrain difficult. There is a lot of walking and most of it not on even terrain. You could see some things, but certainly wouldn't be able to fully participate in the type of tour I did (about a half day) there. Based on what I've read (and experienced in other countries), I'm pretty sure other archaeological sites (such as Megiddo, Jerash, or Masada, for example) would be similarly difficult.

Jerusalem poses a different problem, but many things in the old City, which involve a lot of walking, would also probably not be easy. Just from memory, there are steps in the Holy Sepulchre church (up and down from the entrance level), steps to get to the various market quarters and Cardo, steps at the Southern wall, and so on.

I know you are concerned mainly about the mobility issues, but the itinerary you list does seem very active and very ambitious. I think even a person used to moderate activity will be exhausted before the end.

You are right, this is a lot to do and see in a short time, therefore, it must be well-organized (or maybe it will be total chaos). We have friends who have done this tour before and they thought it was fine. We are looking for input from others on the mobility question primarily but any other input will be appreciated.

Here is the detailed itinerary:

Friday 5/13/11 Afternoon arrival at Ben Gurion Airport, hotel, briefing session. Overnight at Dan Hotel, Tel Aviv

Saturday 5/14/11 Old Jaffa, Caesarea by the Sea with lunch, Valley of Armageddon, Mount Carmel, Haifa lookout, Tiberias. Overnight at Gai Beach Hotel, Tiberias

Sunday 5/15/11 Tel Dan, Caesarea Philippi, Nimrod Castle, Road to Damascus, Bnot Yaacov Bridge, 2-hour jeep ride on the Golan Heights, Korazim with a short Sunday service, Vered HaGalil Ranch for lunch, Mount of Beatitudes, Capernaum, sail to Ginosar, "Jesus boat" museum, Tiberias. Overnight at Gai Beach Hotel, Tiberias

Monday 5/16/11 Cana of Galilee, Nazareth, Jezreel, Gideon's Spring, Mount Tabor with lunch in the monastery, Jordan River baptismal site, Tiberias. Overnight at Gai Beach Hotel, Tiberias

Tuesday 5/17/11 Early departure to Sheik Hussein Bridge, cross into Jordan, Jerash, Amman with lunch, Madaba, Mount Nebo, King’s highway, Petra. Overnight at Beit Zamman Hotel, Petra

Wednesday 5/18/11 Comprehensive tour of Petra with lunch, Wadi Rum, cross the border into Israel, Eilat, night tour with a visit to Eilat stone cutting plant. Overnight at Dan Hotel, Eilat

Thursday 5/19/11 Arava Valley, Ein Bokek, Crowne Plaza Hotel for Dead Sea “floating” and lunch, Masada, Kumran, Mount Scopus with a “Welcome to Jerusalem” short ceremony, Israel Museum to see the Dead Sea scrolls and the model of ancient Jerusalem. Overnight at King David Hotel, Jerusalem

Friday 5/20/11 Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial, Shepherd’s Field, Bethlehem, Church of Nativity, shopping and middle eastern lunch, return to Jerusalem, Government House lookout, Herod’s family catacombs. Overnight at King David Hotel, Jerusalem

Saturday 5/21/11 Mount of Olives, Palm Sunday Road, Dominus Flevit, Garden of Gethsemane, Pool of Bethesda, lunch at the Three Arches Hotel, House of Caiaphas the high priest, Garden Tomb with communion. Overnight at King David Hotel, Jerusalem

Sunday 5/22/11 Temple Mount, Wailing Wall with group picture, Rabbi’s Tunnel, Via Dolorosa, Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the Jerusalem Museum in the Citadel by Jaffa Gate, Cardo, the recently restored HaChurva Synagogue, Jewish Quarter with bagel light lunch, Temple Institute, the Jewish Quarter Menorah replica, Southern Wall excavation at the Davidson Center; farewell meeting after dinner. Overnight at King David Hotel, Jerusalem

Monday 5/23/11 Free day in Jerusalem, late check out, dinner and transfer to the airport.

I will add my professional opinion to Moti's - and I agree with him 1000% - this itinerary is nuts - either you will be on the move by 6 am every day, logging endless miles and just spend a few minutes at each place so that you can check it off a list, or there is no way to do all of this.

There is endless ground covered each day. Let's take an example - Sunday 5/15.

You have 6 separate, distinct sites PLUS a 2 hour jeep ride all before lunch. After lunch you have 4 more sites PLUS a boat ride. I don't know how you can fit all of this in unless you start when it is dark and keep going until late at night. the other option is to just drive by and point - so you can check sites off on some list-

The bottom line is that even if the tour goes to all the places listed you won't get much out of it - won't appreciate it and in the end everything will be a huge blur.

Regarding mobility - Masada will not be a problem - you will go up on the cable car and short of going to the Northern palace there are only about 8 steps to go to the bath house - other than that no steps.

Qumran can be a bit difficult in terms of mobility.

The "Rabbi's Tunnel" may be difficult - though there are not many stairs, it is narrow in some spots and there is really no place along the way to stop and rest.

The Via Dolorosa is on an incline and there are many stairs interspersed along the way.

In the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, it may be difficult going up to the Golgotha and the same for going to the Chapel of Helena - however, your wife can wait for the group to go up or down and return.

An additional note - the Israel Museum closes at 5 on Thursday, so unless your tour organizer has special arrangements, there is no way you could possibly complete Thursday's itinerary and get to the museum on time - again, unless all you will be doing is racing through the itinerary.

And to second Moti's suggestion - since this tour is not a cruise, please check out the Israel Forum on Trip Advisor - you can get loads of useful, helpful information there.

Archived