Anyone Use PDAnet App on VZW phone

I just got set up with the "Global email PDA" package for my HTC Incredible Android phone.

I have the PDA Net app to tether my phone to my netbook. I am wondering if anyone has successfully used such an app at sea without incurring extra charges?

I know for certain that using PDA Net or Easy Tether does not incur tethered data charges with Verizon when in the US (at least not for now :D) So I am definitely NOT referring to tethering without one of these two apps.

I haven't used it at sea, but I've used PDA.net on Verizon in the US and I'll probably use it on a Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan. Verizon has service in SJ and they've told me that the data plan will work there too. I'm a bit more apprehensive about using it in any other ports, as it could be extremely expensive if you aren't on Verizon's network.

I tethered while onboard to send an email to Verizon because I got a text that said I had incurred $50 in data charges. This was the reply from Verizon. I don't know if they know that you are tethering, but the amount of data usage might give it away. Somebody on a cell phone blog would probably know the answer.

Good evening. My name is Daniel and I hope you are enjoying your cruise. I would be delighted to address and resolve your concerns regarding the text message you received regarding data usage. In review of your account, I discovered the $64.99 Global E-mail Plan was added to your number effective November 27, 2010. From that point forward, you have Unlimited Data on your DROID for sending/receiving e-mails, app use and web browsing. The Global E-mail Plan does not include text messaging or tethered access to a computer. If you did not use data internationally since November 27, 2010 or did not tether your phone to a computer to use as a modem, please ignore the text message. I have created a follow up to your account to ensure any global data charges (with the exception of those I listed) incurred November 27, 2010 are credited provided you remain on the Global E-mail Plan while using your phone outside of the United States. If an adjustment is needed, someone will contact you.

In closing, you may also reply to this e-mail with the date you would like to change back to the $29.99 Unlimited E-mail and Internet Plan.

I just got set up with the "Global email PDA" package for my HTC Incredible Android phone.

I have the PDA Net app to tether my phone to my netbook. I am wondering if anyone has successfully used such an app at sea without incurring extra charges?

I know for certain that using PDA Net or Easy Tether does not incur tethered data charges with Verizon when in the US (at least not for now :D) So I am definitely NOT referring to tethering without one of these two apps.

Yup, I used it every day on my 7 day cruise on Mariner last month. Used it to upload about 50-60 pictures (reduced size) a day to facebook for family and friends to see. Cost me $8.17 for the week that I had the global plan.

Yup, I used it every day on my 7 day cruise on Mariner last month. Used it to upload about 50-60 pictures (reduced size) a day to facebook for family and friends to see. Cost me $8.17 for the week that I had the global plan.

Thanks. You have confirmed that Verizon can't tell if you are tethering if you are using PDA Net.

That's really good to know if I run out of free internet minutes from C&A (which I probably won't)

Thanks. You have confirmed that Verizon can't tell if you are tethering if you are using PDA Net.

That's really good to know if I run out of free internet minutes from C&A (which I probably won't)

I used my Droid X to tether with PDA net. Worked as fast as the ship's computers. Our cabin was aft and did not get a good signal so I usually worked from the the library. There was an electric outlet there to plug in my netbook and it was quiet so I just brought along my kindle to read while the pictures uploaded.

I did the same thing back in may on the Voyager using my netbook on the ship's internet and it cost me over $100. It was a nice change.

I used my Droid X to tether with PDA net. Worked as fast as the ship's computers. Our cabin was aft and did not get a good signal so I usually worked from the the library. There was an electric outlet there to plug in my netbook and it was quiet so I just brought along my kindle to read while the pictures uploaded.

I did the same thing back in may on the Voyager using my netbook on the ship's internet and it cost me over $100. It was a nice change.

I much appreciate your input.

Have a merry Christmas

WOW. does anyone know if Sprint has something like this? I use PDAnet all the time, would love to be able to do that traveling.

There is a Yahoo! Group called InternetBySmartphone. I suggest you check it out. There is great information on all types of smartphones and all US (and I believe Canadian)service providers.

Most of the people are RVers, but I'm sure they will welcome cruisers.

WOW. does anyone know if Sprint has something like this? I use PDAnet all the time, would love to be able to do that traveling.

Sprint does not use GPRS ( the type of data). When we go to Europe we use a special phone that we bought from Sprint that uses GPRS.

You will incurr charges if you access the internet while on board...no matter how you do it (the possible exception being with a Kindle). Tethering will just move the charge from the ship's wifi to your carrier's at-sea roaming rates (which you can find on their website). You'll still get billed either way. Just check out the rates to see which is going to be lower.

You can tether with Sprint phones. Depending on your plan, you don't necessarily need PDAnet or similar software. Tethering works fine with Sprint phones while on board, just be aware of the charges. You can tether via wi-fi, usb or bluetooth.

Sprint does not use GPRS ( the type of data). When we go to Europe we use a special phone that we bought from Sprint that uses GPRS.

I think you mean GSM.

Ship cell towers support both GSM and CDMA, so sprint phones will work fine while aboard.

I think you mean GSM.

Ship cell towers support both GSM and CDMA, so sprint phones will work fine while aboard.

I have a EVO, which was hotspot for tethering, Sprint data has never been available on the ships, according to what I read onboard GPRS ( general Packet Radio Service ) is used on board, according to sprint they don't support this.

My data works fine in some ports ( mexico , San Juan, and Virgin Islands) but does not get one byte on the sea. My husband has Sprint Blackberry ( not international ) and it was dead as a doornail. That is why we brought a Spring GSM phone, when we travel to Europe we call Sprint, they turn off one of out numbers and when we land the phone works like a charm.

We have thought of getting a cheap phone in Europe but then we would not be able to get calls on our regular phone numbers.

If some has use Sprint data successfully on a ship I would love to know. It is also against Sprint to tether a phone, I pay the extra fee for this use. I know there are work arounds ( rooting the phone using PDAnet but it is against Sprint's policy), I don't know if other carriers do this but Sprint is firm about this.

Okay, I think I need to explain better.

I'm a customer of Verizon. I have an HTC Incredible Android smart phone.

Tethering via Verizon requires paying for an additional data plan, the same one that would entail the phone behaving as a WiFi hot spot. I do not have that plan on my phone.

There are two Android apps, PDA Net and Easy Tether (sp), that can be used to tether the smart phone to a computer that, when the computer is tethered USING ONE OF THOSE TWO APPLICATIONS, there are no additional tethering charges with Verizon. Evidently they see it as a regular data usage under my normal, mandatory, smart phone unlimited data plan.

I have used PDA Net on several occasions in RV parks and in hotels and motels where there was no free WiFi. I have not paid for the tethering.

People here who have the same app on their Verizon smart phones have verified that there is no additional charge when using the app on a ship after paying for the "global PDA email" feature which Verizon offers at a prorated rate that will cost me about $2 per day.

I don't know what other companies charge, but Verizon Wireless has a contract with Cellular at Sea so the data use falls under that contract, not the ship's system.

Just so there is no confusion.

You will incurr charges if you access the internet while on board...no matter how you do it (the possible exception being with a Kindle). Tethering will just move the charge from the ship's wifi to your carrier's at-sea roaming rates (which you can find on their website). You'll still get billed either way. Just check out the rates to see which is going to be lower.

We pretty much established that the Verizon Global Plan covers cruise ships. I've got the bill to prove it.

Like I have been saying for two months, a lot people post about you can't do this, they will charge thousands of dollars for data usage. These people have never tried it and don't have a clue.

Archived