Too much walking on Oasis

UncAl618

My wife & I are scheduled to sail the Oasis In April. We are a retired couple & my wife suffers from arthritis. She is afraid that the ship is too large & she won't be able to walk around. My question is, is there ample seating for her to rest if we have to walk around for any length of time? Your replies will be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance.

Yes indeed! Central Park has seating all over. On the Promenade you can stop at the Cafe Promenade. In the Boardwalk we stopped at the Aquatheater a few times to just relax for a bit. You can also sit on the carousel! :D There is also interesting seating on the sports deck.

Here is my wife sitting on a bench made from surfboards:

c5f886ef.jpg

You might have to look around, but there is seating in each area.

Top view of Central Park. You can see some of the benches if you look closely:

0c4bc78f.jpg

Aquatheater looking typical during the day:

7cbbff2b.jpg

My husband is 88 and I am 81. I pushed him in a wheel chair all over the Oasis in September. There are lots of comfortable places to sit for a while. It might be worth thinking about renting a wheel chair for your wife. We had a wonderful time - wheel chair and all.

For the last 2 years I had had to get a scooter from Special Needs at Sea. They are great. I don't have to depend on my dear Hubby to push me, I can go where I want when I want, and not be a burdon on any one. By the end of the day I don't hurt so bad like I would if I had to walk, and I can still go and have fun with every one. Some may say that the scooter are exp. but when you think of the price of your cruise and what you spend on ypur vacation.............well I just feel like it is worth it, just because I am getting older doesn't mean that I don't still want to traval.

My wife also has issues with walking due to panters fascitits. She did great on Oasis when we sailed her last Jan. and, in fact wanted to book Allure for the same time this year. There's plenty of seating and, I can't say I found walking about Oasis any more taxing than any other ship. The Oasis class isn't that much longer than Freedom class but it is wider. The thing to do is not plan on activities that stretch you from one end of the ship to the other.

I steered my sister who is on a cane away from booking Allure. I know she thinks Voyager was large enough that she complained about the walking. I put her on Celebrity and hoping its a great cruise for them as her new husband is a newbie.

I too was concerned about the walking and know its often far to walk just to get to dinner on a normal sized ship. Im one who would be worried too.

I also suffer from arthritis and I cannot stress enough how helpful it is to rent a scooter or wheelchair while on ship. Having it could provide you both with freedom to do what you want to do without fear of over-taxing you wife's energy or mobility.

There are plenty of places to sit on Oasis, however I will warn you that while there are plenty of elevators, DW and I found the elevators were often very crowded with waits.

I think this is because, while Oasis has proportionately more elevators for passengers (the same passengers-to-elevator ratio as other ships), the ship is so tall that more trips that passengers make on the ship require elevators. This was the single largest design issue DW and I felt existed with the ship.

I also suffer from arthritis and I cannot stress enough how helpful it is to rent a scooter or wheelchair while on ship. Having it could provide you both with freedom to do what you want to do without fear of over-taxing you wife's energy or mobility.

We have a 90 year old FIL and 87 year old MIL, and the MIL does very good, but the FIL needs a cane, and complains about walking very far.

So my question, who do you contact regarding renting a scooter? Is it the cruise line, or a 3rd party rental company?

Thanks for the answers in advance!

Rick

We have a 90 year old FIL and 87 year old MIL, and the MIL does very good, but the FIL needs a cane, and complains about walking very far.

So my question, who do you contact regarding renting a scooter? Is it the cruise line, or a 3rd party rental company?

Rick

Try Special Needs at Sea. They provide rental services at a number of different ports for many cruise lines. You can rent wheel chairs, scooters, and other types of mobility devices. They will deliver the rental to your cabin and pick it up after the cruise is finished. I suggest calling them to discuss your FIL's needs.

Rent a scooter not wheel chair!

We were on Oasis last Feb had a cabin Aft of ship. I rented a wheel chair instead of scooter and it was a big mistake wheel chairs are very hard to push on rugs, my husband is strong and healthy but says he would never push a chair again down the long halls. Also a scooter would have given me more freedom I had a tough time wheeling myself on the rugs which are in most halls and public areas.

Rick

Hi Rick - there are a couple of companies that rent scooters and wheel chairs. I don't remember which ones they are but the disability/handicap boards have them on several threads. We just finished our first cruise with Hermon using his scooter. He loved having it on board and felt like he could go where he wanted when he wanted. In fact I found out that he was flirting in the elevator when I wasn't around.:)

Rick and Bobbie - a few more experiences to share - if you are taking a tour, allow lots of time to take get to the meeting point and drop off your FIL and have someone return the scooter to the cabin. In St Thomas, I found a place on the dock where they allowed me to store it until we got back.

Look at local rental companies and fly with the scooter. We were a bit apprehensive about flying with the scooter and it turned out that we loved having it. Not only did it make the distance in the airport manageable but we got priority through security lines and boarding. Hermon did have to go through the infamous pat down at FLL but it wasn't as bad as has been reported.

If going on an extensive walking shore excursion then also rent (or borrow from a friend) a wheel chair.

Archived