Naples-Herculaneum?

cleobella

Herculanium does have interesting ruins that are located right in the city of Ercolano. This is only a short distance from Naples. If you want to spend your money on an excursion that is fine. As an alternative you could walk (about 1 1/4 mile) take a local bus, or taxi to the train station and catch the Circumvesuviania Train to the Ercolano Scavi station from where you can walk to the ruins. That train would cost you only a few Euros and admission to the ruins is 11 Euros (unless it has been increased). If you want a guided tour they are available at the entrance for 10 Euros or you can even rent an audio tour.

Hank

We took the Carnival tour and enjoyed it. They stopped at a cameo factory on the way to the ruins and that was interesting, too.

We enjoyed it. I can't comment on the self guided tour by audio or tour that you can arrange there, but we did take the Carnival tour and it did free up the day for more walking around in Naples. We were docked right next to an area where you can walk into the city.

Hank,

It's much easier and cheaper than that. The bus leaves from right outside the port and stops at the gates to the ruins at Herculaneum. You buy your tickets at the news stand over the road from the port. The guy there will tell you which bust and what stop to catch it at. The return is juast the oposite. The bus picks up over the road from where you are dropped off and drops you off at the port.

Andy

In 2008, we went to both Pompeii and Herculanium. While Herculanium was interesting, I wish we had gone back to Pompeii that day indstead. Pompeii is so vast and I really want to go back. I am attaching a document I received from someone with directions (with pictures) from Naples to Pompeii (we also used this document to go to Herculanium from Civitavecchia and/or Rome (to Naples and on...). Herculanium is a couple of stops prior to the Pompeii stop. Pompeii is very close to the train station. In Pompeii the audio tour is well worth it. I have wonderful pictures. I am 59 and I got the same pictures that I remember seeing when I was in elementary school!!!

Given the choice, I would choose Pompeii over Herculanium... Have a WONDERFUL time... The region is filled with so much history! We are doing Mediterrean mid-Feb. and this time it even goes to Alexandria/Cairo - - I'm gonna see Pyramids - - up close!! Of course I can't get enough of Rome but only have 1 day there so will do Colossuem again, Palentine Hills and this wonderful museum we found just before we left the last time....

Have a wonderful time!!

Directions to Pompeii from Ship.pdf

Hank,

It's much easier and cheaper than that. The bus leaves from right outside the port and stops at the gates to the ruins at Herculaneum. You buy your tickets at the news stand over the road from the port. The guy there will tell you which bust and what stop to catch it at. The return is juast the oposite. The bus picks up over the road from where you are dropped off and drops you off at the port.

Andy

Good info Andy (we might try this in the future). We have never used the regional buses in Naples but it sounds like a great option. This sounds like a much easier option then the train because it avoids the long walk or hassle getting from the port to the train station (about 1 mile apart).

Hank

Has anyone ever heard of the Naples-Herculaneum tour offered by Carnival? It seems like it may be a shorter, less time consuming alternative to Pompeii, freeing us up to explore the city too? I wonder if it is a good bet?

I would go ahead and take the tour.

Herculaneum like Pompeii is very interesting to visit and it is closer to Naples than Pompeii. I would do this as part of a tour and it will give you time to visit Naples in the afternoon.

Enjoy.

Keith

Archived