Hotel question

cleobella

HI,

I'm trying to decide on a hotel for next september. I've got 3 hotels I am looking into-The Tryp Apollo, the Avendia Palace and the Montblanc. Has anyone had any experiences at any of these? I am looking for a place close to the attractions, transportation and at least a four star-with a helpful staff and some amenities such as a pool, breakfast restaurant, concierge. Any ideas are welcome!

I was supposed to stay at the Avenida Palace for my last trip but ended up changing for a less expensive hotel and one on a pedestrian street with less traffic and more outdoor cafes.

I had picked it because of its location and services.

The location is good for getting around the city/sight seeing etc. It is on a wide busy street.

The Montblanc's location is also good but it too is on a busy street(not as wide) BTW on Trip Advisor it is listed as a 3*** hotel.

I am not as familiar with the Tryp Apollo location. I DO know that there are some good local restaurants nearby.

I have friends who really liked staying at the AC Diplomatic Hotel which is not far from the Avenida Palace. They really liked the service which got them reservations at restaurants that were somewhat difficult to get etc. It had a pool but most hotel pools in Barcelona are fairly small.

I hope this helps a little!!

cleobella, I didn't mention my hotel because it was not a 4**** one.

I really loved its location though, on Rambla Catalunya(not the same as Las Ramblas) right above Placa Catalunya.

I stayed at the Onix Rambla which is right across the street from the Praktik Rambla. There is also a 4****NN Hotel next door but I don't remember its name.

Rambla Catalunya is a wide pedestrian street with lots of outdoor cafes/restaurants, a good bakery,small grocery etc. I just loved the atmosphere there!

riffatsea, we have roughly 18 couples staying at the Hotel Universal. We were in the Continental but one couple saw the Universal web site and their prices and appearance and many changed hotels fast. Rooms are much larger and for my DH & I we saved $100 for our 3 nights. We booked it several months ago so not sure if their prices have gone up since then.

DesertCruisers, I hope you write a review of your experience in Barcelona. I am not very familiar with the area in which your hotel is located. The hotel itself looks lovely on the web site.

I believe that the area closer to Placa Catalunya is the best place for a first time visitor as it is :

central

easy to reach by taxi or by airport express bus

is easy to use public transportation to all parts of the city

walking distance to good restaurants etc. etc.

Archived