Cruising out of Baltimore or New York in the winter?

birdie16

A lot depends on how warm you think is 'warm enough'.

I figure you're looking at a good 36-48 hours on either end of the cruise with cold air, where its just too chilly to be outside at all. Even if the air temps warm up, the movement of the ship combined with any wind is going to chill things considerably.

Let me tell you, you WOULD NOT have wanted to cruise out of New York yesterday. You would probably still be at the port experiencing the blizzard we just got.

I agree with the above poster that it will be 36-48 hours at either end.

Agreed, which is why we cruise out of Florida in the winter.

We cruise in the winter to get away from winter so why lose 4 days.

It will be our first time cruising out of Baltimore in February- I usually like Florida for a winter departure but that airfare is a killer this year.

The warmer weather will depend on whats up the coast- if you left on the Pride yesterday- they still are not warm as even Florida got hit with a cold wave.

in 2006 we sailed out of Florida in February and only got the high of 52 in the bahamas (granted it was a record set that year--- but we were NOT prepared for it)

But it would be really neat to cruise thru a snow storm.

Off shore buoys recorded wave heights of 23 feet during the blizzard we had in NY yesterday. Off shore winds were hurricane force.

I'll stay home or cruise from a Florida port instead.

I doubt the ship would have cruised in this storm. The sea swells/waves off Mass. were 35ft. I bet the same seas were off the coast of New York.

NCL's Jewel left NYC yesterday afternoon with wind gusts over 50 MPH. If Carnival did sail from NY in the Winter I'm sure they would have departed as well.

As long as you aren't cruising around a major nor'easter, air temperatures over the Atlantic warm quickly once you reach the Gulf Stream. 75% of the days in the winter air temperatures in the Gulf Stream of the North Atlantic will be within 2 or 3 degrees of the water temperatures you can see by mousing over in this link: http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/db_products/SST/matl_8day.html

Not 80-85...but middle 60s can still feel pretty good mid-winter.

The weather on your first fun day at sea out of New York and Baltimore can often be very close to conditions in Bermuda. For the latest forecast and conditions in Bermuda check out their Weather Service here: http://www.weather.bm/

We were looking to do a 10 day out of NY and changed our mind because of weather. Vacation planner said it would be 2 days before it warmed up...being from Ohio I said NO WAY to that. We instead went with an 8 day from FLL. 4 days of freezing weather would be far to much for me considering you are paying for it. Btw, I leave in 4 days and the forcast for FLL is 78 and sunny!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't think of a better time to be in a hot tub.

My thoughts exactly. I hope on our upcoming Jan cruise everyone else on the boat is too particular about temps and stays inside on those days so my husband and I have the tubs to ourselves (although I wouldn't be opposed to sharing the tub with cool people!)

I suppose this counts for early March as well (out of Baltimore)? I'm not as much concerned about the temps. but rather how rough the Atlantic seas are this time of year. Anyone have any experiences?

Depends upon mother nature and how she is feeling that week. Not hurricane season so generally not too bad.

Carnival Pride left Baltimore yesterday. Any reports on here from anyone on it?

Pat, My mom is on this sailing. She drove down to Baltimore (from Philly). I tried calling her around 3pm on Sunday but her cell was off (a good sign). I assume she made it down there ok and the ship must have departed as scheduled since I didn't hear from her.

Archived