flying out of Sydney after cruise

goat rancher

Our cruise is a bit over a year away, but I was checking flights to get an idea about price and timing....

What I am concerned about is that it looks like a lot of the flights headed from Sydney to Los Angeles leave pretty early in the day....

We were really hoping to book a flight that leaves on the same day as the cruise finishes, but not sure if that is going to be possible....

How feasible is it to make a 11:45 am flight?? Is that cutting it too close???

Thanks.

Liz

Given you need to check in 3 hours prior for a US flight, yes 11.45am is pushing it.

You will find that most USA flights leaving Australia go in the morning. It's just the way they do it. Plus Sydney Airport has an overnight curfew which impacts the arrival / departure times of flights.

Our cruise is a bit over a year away, but I was checking flights to get an idea about price and timing....

What I am concerned about is that it looks like a lot of the flights headed from Sydney to Los Angeles leave pretty early in the day....

We were really hoping to book a flight that leaves on the same day as the cruise finishes, but not sure if that is going to be possible....

Thanks.

Liz

You will be able to look up which airlines also have afternoon flights if you follow the link below

http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/SACL/International-Departures.html

You can only look up the next three days but you might find it helpful in helping you plan which airline to chose

Hawaiian Airlines also have an evening flight 4 times a week but you will need to fly via Honolulu instead of a direct flight

Thanks.

Liz

Spend a day or two in Sydney and enjoy the beautiful city. Then you can relax about catching your flight. Qantas has flights that leave at 3pm, which would give you plenty of time.

Thanks everyone..........

We were particularly looking at VAustralia or Air Canada mainly because of their prices for Business Class (we don't have frequent flyer miles and haven't yet won the lotto, AND we're getting too "old" to try to fold ourselves into sardine can seats, especially for the flight overnight from Los Angeles on the way over there)....

but knowing some of the other companies do have some afternoon flights out of Sydney means at least we can keep an eye on them too and see if a bargain comes up

We're spending a couple days BEFORE the cruise in Sydney, and I guess if none of the other airlines ends up having a better deal for us than these two, we may just go ahead and spend that extra afternoon/evening in Sydney AFTER the cruise and go home the next morning.....

I guess our other option is taking business class VAustralia or Air Canada TO Sydney (since that is when we most NEED the business class seats for SLEEP) and take economy class on a different airline BACK...but I have the feeling that is going to be cost prohibitive too if we are penalized for not doing a roundtrip on just ONE airline....

Thanks again......:) :)

Liz

Mmmm...I "think" we're going to need to stick with ONE airline roundtrip......Just did a little research with one ways on different airlines and boy do they penalize you for not doing the roundtrip...as an example:

It actually would cost MORE to go ONE WAY Business Class on V Australia than to go ROUNDTRIP Business Class....aaagggghhhh:eek::eek:

SOOO.......... Unless the business class tickets go down on some of the other airlines that have afternoon/evening Sydney to Los Angeles flights, it looks like we'll stick around and see a little more of Sydney...which is not a bad thing:p

Liz

now we'll just sit back and watch the airline prices for a few more months until the flights we need become available...

Have to agree... for whatever reason, airlines don't like you going one way on international flights. I'd actually think it could help them with their loads, as more people would pick up their lighter one way flights when they were cheaper, then go some other way when it was dearer. Plus they could actually price the return based on season instead of just the outbound as they currently do. But hey, what do I know?!

• 3 weeks later...
... AND we're getting too "old" to try to fold ourselves into sardine can seats, especially for the flight overnight from Los Angeles on the way over there ...

I guess our other option is taking business class VAustralia or Air Canada TO Sydney (since that is when we most NEED the business class seats for SLEEP) and take economy class on a different airline BACK...but I have the feeling that is going to be cost prohibitive too if we are penalized for not doing a roundtrip on just ONE airline....

Two suggestions:

1. Look at premium economy, which is offered by both Qantas and V Australia. This may be a cost-effective solution to your desire for more space. It's my cabin of choice now wherever I fly, if I can get it.

2. Why would you fly business class on one airline and economy on another, if you're going to mix classes? You may well get a lower fare by doing a mixed class booking on a single airline. Otherwise, you're looking at two one-way tickets, which is usually a very expensive way of doing long-haul.

Archived