Hotels in Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise? Help Please!

FozzyFamily

we have stayed at the Best Western Oceanside and the Extended stay. Both were reasonable and clean. The nice thing about the Extended stay is it has a little kitchen with fridge, microwave etc. It is a short walk to the Publix where one night we bought chicken and salad and some drinks and ate in our room. I would do that again. Keeps costs down.

If you are looking to save some money, I'd recommend using Hotwire; you can get a nice hotel at a great price - and with Hotwire you can guarantee a room for four people (assuming you are all sharing a room). If you are arriving early enough to enjoy an evening in Ft. Lauderdale, I'd recommend picking the downtown area, if just arriving in time to sleep and head to the port the next morning, the airport area would be a bit cheaper.

My favorite is the Embassy Suites on SE 17th street, it also comes with a cruise package that takes you to the ship and if you have a car you can leave it at the hotel for five dollars a night...not bad. Great area, view of the port and ship coming in, and wonderful places within walking distance to eat and shop. Free breakfast at hotel, if you are interested.

We would also recommend the Embassy Suites and the Hilton near the port as well. We used Hotwire for our recent cruise and enjoyed the W hotel as well, although it is a little bit farther away from the port, we were able to see the ships sailing out Friday night from the outside patio.

We used Priceline in November and got the Hyatt Place FLL Airport South for $65 a night. Very nice facility, free shuttle from the airport and shuttle to the pier as well. We will be in Ft. Lauderdale for our February cruise on Jewel of the Seas and are very likely to use Priceline again to get a good hotel at a bargain price.

I would also recommend Extended Stay on 17th in a heart beat.

We have stayed at several hotels along 17th in past few years at a slightly higher price than Extended Stay. Took a chance on Extended Stay last month for post- and pre- cruise stays and loved it. The hotel may not have all the bells and whistles of others along the 17th Ave, strip near the port but for the price, I don't think you can beat it.

Called Extended Stay from the airport and found they had a free shuttle to the hotel which we had not seen advertised when we booked it. They were at the airport promptly to pick us up. They also had a free shuttle to the port which was great for the price.

Extended Stay is located about in the middle of the restaurant, grocery, shopping and pharmacy area of 17th nearest the port. If you need something from the grocery, Publix is only about one long block away. Walgreens is a long block the other way from the hotel.

The Sun Trolley, which can take you to the Ft. Lauderdale Beach area, has a stop at Publix. That's its turn around area.

The hotel does not have a free breakfast but the rooms do have a mini-kitchen with a refrigerator, microwave and dishes. There are varied restaurants within walking distance from deli-style restaurants to family style restuarants within walking distance.

We paid $75 per night for the two of us earlier this month for our room before and after our cruise. Staff was very helpful with any questions we had and the room and the entire hotel was very clean.

Would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a pre- or post- cruise hotel for the night.

Dianne

We stayed at the Bahia Mar. It is just north of the Port on the beach & strip. It has a great location but it wasn't the Waldorf Astoria. Price was OK. If your cruise is on Sun you can walk down the beach approx 1/2 mile to the jetti on Sat and watch the ships leave up close.

We found a great great place in Ft. Lauderdale. It is cal Cambria Suites.

It is south of the airport about a mile. Just exit right on Stirling St.

Turn right and another quick right into the driveway. Costs about $l00

and they keep your car up to l4 days for free. Also, free shuttle to the

port. Rooms are suites with Two large flat screen tv's, fridge, and a sofa.

They get a six star from me. Call 954-889-2606

Also check out the Florida Departures in the North American Homeports Board. There has been some good discussions on Ft Lauderdale hotels. Also some local residents frequent the boards. and often chime in.

I feel like I've landed in the Twilight Zone . This is the Florida Departures board, isn't it?:confused:

To the O.P.

The Hampton Inn on Stirling Rd. has reasonable rates, including free shuttle from the airport, and to Port Everglades. But wait, there's more! Free (continental?) breakfast....I'll be staying there next week-I don't think it'll be anything fancy, but 1 nite pre-cruise should be fine.....:cool:

Stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Airport/Cruiseport 12-25-09. Free shuttle to both airport and cruise terminal. Staying there again on 2-7-11. Made reservation on 12-23-10 via Priceline conventional purchase (not bidding) for $79.00 per night. Good hunting!

We used Priceline in November and got the Hyatt Place FLL Airport South for $65 a night. Very nice facility, free shuttle from the airport and shuttle to the pier as well. We will be in Ft. Lauderdale for our February cruise on Jewel of the Seas and are very likely to use Priceline again to get a good hotel at a bargain price.

Wow that is an awesome price! I went to Priceline and the regular price is 141.00. What criteria did you put in when you bid? Is it FLL Airport 3 stars? Any other suggestions to win the bid? Thank you so much for your help! The hotel looks really nice.

Just back from the embassy suites on17th street...12/12/10 sailing on solstice. Loved the location...but our room was not cherry clean actually a little gross. A fellow cc member nat9511 was also at embassy suites as we were on same sailing and her room was also dirty...dirty used wash cloth in bathroom and someone clothes left in armoire. They did comp her room.

Something has happened with the cleanliness. Not sure we will stay here in feb 2010.

Just so you know, I travel a lot for work and stay in a lot of hotels..this one was not clean.

Ok, for any of your who have stayed at the Hyatt Airport north - ( What time does the cruise shuttle leave for the port in the morning? Is it a fixed time?

Bill

Every hotel that we have used with a shuttle service runs several times. You usually sign up at the desk when you check in.

Check with the hotel directly and make sure that it is complimentary. I forget which hotel but one on 17th advertised shuttle service. They took the reservation for a shuttle but it was like them making a reservation for a taxi...the guest paid. We found it cheaper and quicker to call a taxi for the short ride to the ship.

Charlie

Bill

Every hotel that we have used with a shuttle service runs several times. You usually sign up at the desk when you check in.

Check with the hotel directly and make sure that it is complimentary. I forget which hotel but one on 17th advertised shuttle service. They took the reservation for a shuttle but it was like them making a reservation for a taxi...the guest paid. We found it cheaper and quicker to call a taxi for the short ride to the ship.

Charlie

Good point, we had that same experience staying at the Embassy Suites in Miami, they have a couple different vendors. We paid $10 a person for a 15 passenger van, ended up we were the last two get dropped off. It left the hotel at 11am, we were on board at noon, which was ok for Majesty of the Seas. We did get on that shuttle with a couple we never met who owned a jewelery store two blocks from our home.

Archived